Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Mucus on voice, trouble singing

I have problems with my singing voice. The symptoms are mucus on the folds when singing and the voice wants to break making high notes difficult or singing softer tones. This has been going on for at least 8 months. I can still speak fine but it is affecting the control of my singing voice,

My vocal folds have been looked at by an ENT and said there was no problem, not a surprise since I take voice lessons and use my voice properly.

Other symptoms are post nasal drip. Have been taking clarinex and nasal spray but don't feel that it has solved the problem.

When my problems started I thought I had overused my voice so I didn't speak for 3 days, but it didn't have any effect.

I tried taking double dose omeprazole for two months no change in case of acid reflux. Also quit dairy and wheat, no change.

It seems like such a great mystery. I'm going back to the doctor soon and was wondering if you have any tips on what I should ask for. Could it be an anatomical problem making drainage difficult? Could doctors have missed something?

I have done allergy tests and was positive for some, but have done my best to decrease exposure. I don't have symptoms like itchy eyes or sneezes, but my problem persists.

I drink a lot of water and have tried decongestants, but it doesn't make my voice 100%

Hi, based on what you are describing, you might have inflammation of your superior laryngeal nerve which is the nerve that controls the muscle around your larynx (voice box) that controls pitch.  An upper respiratory tract infection (cold) can cause the inflammation.  You might need oral steroids or nerve medications like Lyrica to quiet down the inflammation. It can take up to 3 months for the inflammation to subside, but sometimes the problem is permanent. The best way for evaluation is to see a speech pathologist who specializes in voice and who can perform a videostroboscopy which is a special camera to look at the movement of the vocal cords.  The speech pathologist can recommend vocal strengthening exercises and works with an ENT who can prescribe the medication. Regards.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life