Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Neck lumps and major fatigue

Hi, I am a 34 yr old mum from UK.  I have been to an ENT due to a hard lump on right hand side of neck, low down almost at base of neck. Had no pain from the lump itself but had difficulty swallowing food...feels like food is getting stuck on the right hand side of my throat, also feels like tablet or something is lodged in throat. Also suffer on and off with a sore dry scratchy feeling throat again on the right side. Had 2 fine needle aspirations taken and a nasendoscopy. Got to have MRI scan next week and an ultrasound before seeing the ENT consultant at the end of this month.

Another smaller hard lump has come up on left side in exactly same place. I have felt ill for a few months now, fatigue, weakness, falling asleep anytime I sit down and basically feel like I have the flu. Blood tests have come back normal, with the exception of liver being slightly bigger but docs not concerned and rheumatoid factor slightly raised but again docs not concerned. Glandular fever came back negative too.

Any professionals on here have any thoughts/opinions a to what is wrong with me? Before the lumps appeared my doc thought I could possibly have post viral fatigue....?

Any replies welcome.

Hello and hope you are doing well.

The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few. Next you could see if any of the draining areas have any evidence of infection, like tonsils, the skin, tooth abscess or an ear infection. Infections like tuberculosis can cause lymphadenopathy.  It would be worthwhile to see if other lymph groups are enlarged namely, axilla and groin, these can be palpated, the others like those in the chest or abdomen may need a CT to detect their enlargement. Also correlate with blood counts, this could lead to further analysis. Sometimes a fine needle may not show much, but a whole node biopsy may pinpoint the cause.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life