Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Numbness/lump in right throat/tonsil

This just started last night. I got up to make my son a bottle and the right side of my throat felt numb.  The next couple of times I got up I noticed the same thing and when I tried to swallow, it felt like I couldn't get down whatever it is.

This morning, it's a little less numb feeling and more like something is caught behind my tonsil, pressing on the back of my throat, or I guess like my tonsil is really swollen but just on the right side.  Any idea what this could be?  I have no other symptoms.  I get kind of anxious because I feel like my airway is a little smaller.  Should I go get this looked at?  Should I wait?  My mother thinks I might need them out or something.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Susan
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms described could be due to an infection, most probably streptococcal or a viral infection. Strep sore throat needs to be treated with an antibiotic as strep is a bacteria. Viral sore throat is best treated with rest, warm oral fluids and  (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain. If you develop a fever, or if there is swelling and pain, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life