Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Painful Throat and Gagging

I think the thing sticking up at the back of my throat is my epiglottis, but its very painful and swollen, it feels like I cant breath and makes me gag, I had tonsillitis a month ago and the infection hasnt gone away, ive been unwell since but.its gotten a lot worse, please can someone tell me whats wrong? thank you
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like the uvula is inflamed. This could be due to the persisting infection in the tonsils, which can spread. It could also be due to other causes like trauma or rash or ulcers. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to and taking this antibiotic for the prescribed number of days will help to cure the infection.   He may even ask for blood tests. In the meantime take OTC acetaminophen for the pain and try to take warm oral fluids.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life