Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Patchy white tongue

My tongue has had a furry white coating with changing red patches for the past six months. I have been told it is related to PND from persistent allergies which cause my nose to be blocked and have been prescribed a steroid nasal spray. This has had no effect and therefore I am not sure if the diagnosis is correct.

I snore badly and suspect that I breath through my mouth throughout the night, which means that it gets dry.

Can anyone offer suggestions for helping?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Most common cause for white patches is candidiaisis. It is usually caused by candida albicnas, which is a fungal infection. The white patches have a cottage cheese appearance. They can occur as a consequence to throat infection or sometimes steroid inhalers are known to promote their growth. You need to consult  a doctor for proper assessment. In the meantime you can try warm salt water gargles and betadine mouthwashes.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life