Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Picture of the structures of the outer, middle, and inner ear.       Tinnitus is a ringing, buzzing, swishing, clicking, or other type of noise that seems to originate in the ear or head rather than from an external source.Tinnitus is not an illness itself but a symptom of other conditions, such as:Hearing lossEar infectionEar wax buildupLoud noise exposureEar traumaCertain medicationsMeniere's diseaseBrain tumors or other tumors near the earBlood flow problemsPregnancyAnemiaOveractive thyroidAn increase in pressure of the fluid surrounding the brain, and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorderThe main symptom of tinnitus is hearing sound in your ears not due to an external source that no one around you can hear. The noise is often described as ringing, buzzing, clicking, or rushing. Hearing loss and dizziness may occur if the tinnitus is due to Meniere's disease.Because tinnitus is due to other health conditions that may require medical treatment, it should be evaluated by a doctor, especially if the tinnitus is only on one side, is sudden, or is associated with hearing loss.Treatment of tinnitus depends upon the cause and may include medications, stress reduction techniques, biofeedback, lifestyle changes, tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT), masking devices, and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).Home remedies are generally not recommended for tinnitus because they may not address the underlying cause.The best way to prevent some cases of tinnitus is to avoid damage to your hearing, such as loud noise exposure. For many other causes there may be no way to prevent the accompanying tinnitus symptoms.There is currently no cure for most cases of tinnitus.Symptoms of tinnitus may come and go over time, and if you have had tinnitus it's likely it will recur. While it may be annoying, most people can learn to cope with it. Stress, diet, and noise exposure may worsen symptoms.
In 2007 I was hit in the side of my head and my arms were crushed by a machine that came down on me with 2500 lbs. I was in there for more than an hour and a half. In the hospital, they were telling me it was the morphine causing my head to hurt, then I started to hear water running. Now it sounds like air or someone taking a shower in the next room. I'm still fighting with the insurance company.
I was first diagnosed with tinnitus 30 years ago after having a TIA.  There was no known damage.  Periodically under some stress, I would have ringing of the ears.  In the past 6 months I have had this happen more frequently.  My hearing is good for my age of 82, however when I go to see my doctor next month I will ask for the special examination to see if there is an underlying cause at this time.  Thanks for your thorough info I see the importance of finding out.
I can hear my heart beat in my ears.
I have had tinnitus since childhood. First I had meningitis, then constant ear infections; I now have 3 distinct sounds, crickets, ringing and static sound, which are worse in my left ear. My tinnitus 'clicks' when I am getting an ear infection. These noises have gotten worse over past several months and I was just diagnosed with a pineal gland tumor. I have tried every medicine and yes, some dubious snake oil cures, to no avail.
I woke up with this sound I thought was normal. But after a week I still hear the sound. I went to the ENT hospital and they found something inside. They said maybe it was the cause of tinnitus and the doctor gave this medicine Gingko. A week of taking this medicine, still the sound is there. They gave me two weeks to take this medicine, but I am worrying about this sound. It is always in the right ear and it sometime it hurts. I have Adapt Sound in my cell phone and tablet; I always try testing, but it is good. I can hear the low tone. My wife every night gives a massage in my right ear which feels good, but sound is still there.
My tinnitus started on 1/7/2010 at 7:37 am. I woke and my ears started to ring; it was and is a constant tone. A sound generator online sets it at 5225 Hz. I have it 24 hours a day and take Ambien and 6 night time sleep aids to give me approximately 6 hours of sleep.
I am a retired soldier who was exposed to a lot of firing of small as well as heavy weapons without any ear protection kit. For the last couple of years there is a ringing noise especially at nights when it is calm outside. Recently my sleep is quite disturbed although I have been regularly taking Ativan table 1 mg every night for last couple of years. When the effect of this tablet decreases I start dreaming quite bad and do not feel fresh when I wake up. I need an expert opinion how to cope up. All my life I have been suffering from allergic rhinitis and keep using nasal sprays for post nasal drip.
My tinnitus sounds like standing next to a tree that is full of a thousand birds chirping. I also have hearing sensitivity to average to loud noises.
I heard a roaring in my left ear for a few seconds. Ear now has a strange sensation and I feel kind of light headed.
I have tinnitus. There are two sounds, one is a sharp high pitched sound and the other is a humming like that of a refrigerator. I sometimes experience dizziness. I also sometimes experience a weird sensation while driving, actually when I have stopped the vehicle it is like I am still going. I can actually see the ground move like a conveyor belt, but I know I have stopped the vehicle. My tinnitus keeps me from falling asleep like normal people, so I have to go to bed earlier. It takes me an hour to an hour and a half to fall asleep. It is very annoying, I hope there is help for my case.
I have had tinnitus for over ten years, it drives me crazy! I have tried everything to make it stop. I went to the ear doctor, had my hearing checked, but nothing worked or helped. I take medication to relax and medicines to help me sleep. I keep a fan on in my room or soft music playing to help with the nonstop ringing. My daughter just got over having pneumonia and developed tinnitus while she was sick. Her doctor told her to use Flonase and any kind of antihistamine once in the morning. It must be Flonase because it contains a steroid. I woke this morning feeling much better and I will continue to use it daily as I have found it to have helped enough to give me hope. Good luck to all the sufferers, it is an awful feeling.
I had a tumor in my middle ear that deteriorated 2 of the 3 hearing bones and I now have tinnitus. The ringing is so bad and even worse at night. It is a high pitched obnoxious sound that gets worse when I have a migraine, which is also a new symptom since my removal of the tumor. I would love to know what I can take other than valium or put a fan on.
I am 30 years plus now, and that is vague. Everything is vague. My tinnitus is more a hiss/buzz than a ringing. But sometimes it stops dead. Then this louder high pitch ringing starts for one or two minutes then stops, then back to the buzzing. Words fail to describe the horror show now. It outdoes the TV and even my Harley on the open road in top gear with pretty loud custom pipes. Hard to believe I know! It is overwhelming and a bit depressing at times so I try to register my good fortune in most other facets of this weird one way trip. It does help. However on reading other posts here, mine does not impose on sleep. Thank goodness. And, now I just love sleeping, but once awake, pandemonium again!
I first got tinnitus 15 years ago, it was terrible. It then eased a bit and I could tolerate it but it is now back worse than ever. I can't tolerate it and I feel very depressed. I lost interest in everything, it is destroying my life. My ENT specialist is not much help.
I have always had the odd buzz/ringing in the ear, but it is has turned to now constant music and I can't shut it out. I am in a quiet rural area so ambient noise is not the cause. I have started to have panic attacks as well, I am not sure if these are related to each other.  I wish I knew how I can shut the music out, it is driving me mad and I have only had this tinnitus a very short time.
My tinnitus started about 2 months ago. At first it would occur at various times during the day and last from several minutes to several hours. Eventually it increased to 24/7, it wakes me up at night, and drives me crazy all day. It is a very high pitched sound, heard in both ears that sounds like those rat and mouse deterrents they sell that have a very high pitched steady tone that they claim drives rodents from your property. Many people say they can barely stand to use them because the sound is ear piercing and makes them feel anxious. I hear this high pitched sound all the time and haven't found any relief for it yet. I'm going to request an appointment for an ENT doctor and have a full medical workup. At this point I think total silence would be better.
Tinnitus is a problem with a wide variation in its symptoms. Some people complain about ringing in their ears, some complain about it sounding more like a hissing, but in essence it's just an incessant, uncomfortable noise in your ears. Mine is localized to mostly my right ear, and I've found that my symptoms are much worse at night. It's unfortunate because even before being diagnosed with this a few years ago, I'd always had trouble sleeping. Now it's even harder, but I've experimented with different products and techniques to help alleviate the issue. My best luck so far has been with the Lipo-Flavonoid and Sonorest Sleep Tones machine. It has helped me drown out the ringing in my ears and I fall asleep more easily. Definitely doesn't mean it's always super easy, but it's better than it was before; that is for certain.
I am hearing ringing in both ears when swallowing and or yawning. Also while driving or as a passenger, I hear ringing as if there was a problem or issue in the dashboard. It changes tone as one speeds up or hits a bump. My tinnitus just started about three weeks ago. I can't come up with any unusual incident at that time.
I experienced a similar type of tinnitus a dozen years ago. At that time it was a high pitched sound similar to an electric outdoor bug zapper, only when I heard the noises, I'd get extremely dizzy. It lasted a little less than a year and went away just as suddenly as its onset. The present one is very different in that it is a 24/7 loud disturbance without dizziness. Same high pitch, but constant. There are about 3 or 4 sounds occurring simultaneously; high pitched ringing, sound of an automatic water sprinkler, loud commercial electric motors of refrigerators or TVs, or some similar background noise, accompanied by a vibration I can feel through my body even the bottom of my feet! If I have had a sleep apnea it will be much louder, then ebb down somewhat. When I have a severe episode of neuropathy the tinnitus will be almost unbearable. I don't know if this is related but I have developed soft cyst type bumps on my right wrist and forearm that appeared about the same time that cause a great deal of sharp pain and neuropathy; the same hand as a carpal tunnel procedure performed 29 years ago. With the exception of a few times, the sound is always on the right side of my head. Coincidently my wife says she thinks I'm getting forgetful. I agree but only my short term memory is much worse.
I retired from the Naval Air Force in 1988. I have a high frequency ringing in both ears at the frequency of the auxiliary power unit (APU) that supplied generator power to the P-3 aircraft I was assigned to. As a flight crew member my responsibility was to inspect the weapons load in the bomb bay prior to flight. Even with ear guards and ear plugs the noise from the APU was extremely loud. For those on the forum that are prior military with tinnitus caused by loud noise, you can receive a 10 percent disability from the VA (Veterans Affairs) for your hearing loss by submitting a claim. That being said, I would gladly give up my disability for normal hearing again. I have found that running a fan on high helps cover the ringing in my ears so I can get a good night's sleep. It sure would be great for a cure! I went to the VA hospital and was told that I definitely had a high frequency loss. The loss is due to the constant high frequency noise that overrides the frequencies administered during a hearing test. The VA evaluator said that hearing aids would not help me with this kind of hearing loss. However, they did issue me an amplifier to wear around my neck, with a head set in order to amplify my hearing so that I can carry on a conversation with others and listen to what is being said on the TV. I know what you are going through and hopefully there will be a cure for all of us. From this forum it sounds like there are a variety of reasons for tinnitus.
I have had ringing in the ears for years now.
I have had tinnitus for 20 plus years, and had managed to cope with it. However, about 6 weeks ago I was startled awake with a sound in my left ear that caused me to think I was dreaming that I was having an ultrasound of my carotid done! That's exactly how it sounded. It continued for about 10 seconds, and came back periodically until I turned over onto my right side. This happened in the early morning hours, and was a daily occurrence. I wore a monitor for 2 weeks and the result was normal.
Well, I woke up suddenly today because in my left ear I could hear something like a buzzing sound and it's my first time hearing it. At first I thought some insect was inside, then I tried to clean my ear, but nothing changes. I got annoyed because I'm still sleepy. I literally cried because I'm scared with what is happening. The tinnitus lasted for 5 minutes, I was just crying silently when it stopped. That's why I searched immediately what it might be and it brought me here. Now I am scared about the possible cause.
One of my tinnitus symptom is ear discharge. I have had tinnitus for the last 2 years and in the past weeks I think it is getting louder. I have constant ear infections.
2
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life