Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Post Nasal Drip and Choking

Can you choke to death from post nasal drip? I ask because several years ago, I turned over in bed, and I suddenly felt like a fist was in my throat, that I was getting very little air. I've had post nasal drip for years, but this was the first time that I thought I might actually choke to death.

P.S. My late mother had asthma, and I feel like I have a little idea what she felt like from my experience.
I know it feels as though you will die from it, but from personal experience, I have not yet died. There have been times when I swore I was about to die as I could not swallow or cough it up quick enough, and the air flow didn't seem to be there...but obviously it was.
I suggest doing a nasal rinse and propping up your bed or pillows to sleep. I find on really bad nights I have to sleep sitting on the couch or a chair.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life