Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Ruptured eardrum anf flying

I ruptured an eardrum two weeks ago and I am flying on Thursday.  Has anyone had any experience with this or any advice for flying with a ruptured eardrum?  
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It is safe to fly with a ruptured ear drum. There are tubes called ‘Eustachian tubes’ which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. With tympanic membrane perforation, the air can move into and out of the middle through the hole without relying on the eustachian tube, so the discomfort is actually less for a perforated ear than a normal ear.  Ensure to see that the infection is adequately controlled.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life