Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Small Food particles stuck in back of Throat

I have had a problem for years.. I get mall particles of food that gets stuck in the back of my throat somewhere around the nasal passage area.  These are small particle of hard food like a part of a peanut shards after being chewed up.. or really small pills like 10mg lipitor (I don't know how many of the liptors have literally dissolved back there instead of my stomach)  Almost every night I have something stuck there it causes my sinus to swell in the during sleep and can sometimes get painful if it does not get dislodge.

Sometimes I can dislodge it by rattle my sinus on that side. (“snuffing in” which  drive my wife crazy)

I have seen a ENT and they find nothing. They did a Barium Swallow and gave be a "horse" pill.  It showed nothing…. But the problem is the small stuff.

This seems to be out of the ordinary and the Doctors don't have a clue. I even asked a pharmacist and he said he had never heard of people having problems with little pills only big pills..

Help.. if you have a similar problem and found someone that could help you I would appreciate the details..
if you crush these small particles in bettween your fingers and then smell it.If it smells really bad they are tonsile stones. that all i can offer as it sounds like what i have. hope it helps  
i think the only cure is tonsile removel but i dont think they will do it for just tonsile stones, have a look on the web for the stones some web sites provide picture mabey you can match them up have fun. :D

Hi Mary,
I don't think it is tonsile stone.. I never do get the particle back into my mouth.. They eventually go down after several hours or maybe even a day or so.
The things that get stuck are really  small food particles or small pills just ingested.

If I had to guess I would say somehow when I swallow I am pushing the particles up into the soft tisssue as a part of the swallowing process and bits stay there.  The area that seems to be affected is the same tissue that may be causing "brain Freeze" when eating icecream.. It is around there.  But thanks for your thoughts.
Hi Mary,

Hi Marv,

Hi Mary,

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life