Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Snap, Crackle and Pop in my Head

I'm a 26 year old male and it seems when I am hungry, I get a noise in my head that sounds like a crackling or sand falling in an hourglass. It only occurs when I know I need to eat. It happens for 3 to 4 seconds at a time, once every 10 seconds or so. I have no pain, but I do feel an uneasiness until I eat something.

My wife says she gets it too and she can hear when my head does it. Any ideas would be welcome. I have been reading the forums and can't find anything exactly like I have, but some similarities.

You are young, but I get that kind of noise from my neck because I have arthritis and some herniated disks.  I don't get the connection to hunger though.  Maybe you are just getting a headache from lack of food?
I have been searching this forum as I have the same symptoms. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!! The rice krispies sound started a little over a year ago, and I also have it when my stomach growls, usually when I am laying in bed. The past couple of weeks I have been experiencing a similar sound when I walk, and it has me really worried now.
Does anyone else know what this might be?!
I have had the exact symptoms for over a year, along with some neck popping, and constant audible head throbbing.  I have had a CT and an MRI, and nothing was found, to explain these bothersome symptoms.  If you find out a diagnosis for yours,  please post! Thanks a lot!  
yep I have the exact same thing I have had it most of my life I am 24 now and I don't have any real health issues. I have never really thought it was bad, it only happens when I have nothing on my stomach. It sounds like a 4th of july sparkler going up and down my neck to my head some times it will do it 2 or 3 times in a row if I'm really hungry. It never hurts, it's just so unusual, I would love some answers but I have yet to find any...any ideas any body?
i get in too, crackling ,like frying a egg ,at night stomach can growl and it shoots up to the neck. had 24 hr ph negative for acid problem scope done nothing, can this be a nerve problem, 2 yrs now driving me nuts walking can hear it sometimes
I have the same problem.  I have searched the internet trying to find the answers but nothing.  I have had it for 8 years and it began after I had my first child.  I get it when I am hungry its almos as though my stomach and my head go are in unison because my stomach will sometimes growl when my head is making the noises.  I havent been to the doctor but wonder if its the adrenal gland.  Just a thought.
I'm so glad to have found you all! I've always wondered what that noise is but I don't mention it to doctors because they think I'm crazy. I'm 33 now and it started in my teens. I mentioned it once to a neurologist and he ordered an mri of my neck - which I knew would be fine. They don't seem to understand. It sounds just like rice krispies crackling and you can kind of feel it - it seems like it's coming from the back of your neck. It doesn't hurt, it's just odd. Almost electric-like. It's almost always when you're hungry. I've been wondering lately if it's related to the vagus nerve.

Just fyi - we'll see if any of us have the same other medical problems - I have fibromyalgia, pvc's, pcos, and possibly ms (they can't decide).
Thanks!
I have the same exact thing! As far as I can remember, it has happened by whole life, at least since I was in middle school when I first noticed it. It is most pronounced when I first wake up in the morning and am laying in bed, before breakfast. Each wave of hunger is accompanied by the feeling and sound of crackling in my neck/head.
Okay, I may have a diagnosis for you all.  I started getting the sand falling/sparkler sound in the back of my head about 7-8 months ago.  During that same time I was also diagnosed with Lyme Disease.  While the sound doesn't bother me, it is annoying-usually happens when I'm lying down.  Unfortunately, lyme is very hard to diagnose once it has got to its chronic stage.  I started getting sick in December 2007, had a rash (not bullseye) on my feet, gained 30 pounds, developed arthritis throughout my whole body, and saw 6 doctors until finally figuring out what was wrong with me through a lyme specialist.  If you have any of the symptoms of lyme (there are many more), I would recommend finding a specialist who does the Western Blot blood test as the test they do in the regular doctor's offices usually will come back negative if you don't get tested within the first few weeks of contracting the disease.  

Not sure if the sand falling has anything to do with the lyme, but I didn't have it happen until I got lyme disease.  I hope this helps.

PS:  lyme is often misdiagnosed as lupis, MS, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia!
I have the same :D it sounds like those sweeties you used to get called "moondust" at the bottom of my throat, it's weird, not sore but just very weird.  What is it lols?
omg. finally! people like me! it sounds like pop rocks got stuck in my throat and wont go away! Im not the only one! Well I know my hubby gets them too and we thought we were weird. and it only happens when i am hungry and somehow sneezing is always connected to it... like I always have "throat crackle" when i feel the emptiness.. it lasts about 4-5seconds then goes away and i sneeze then itll come back a few more times. lol. and I feel uneasy also until i get something to eat. Ive had this for as long as I can remember. i remember asking my mom if she had it too when i was about 6 or 7. I wonder what it is. should we maybe ask a doctor?!!?!?
Finally other ppl with this, I went to the doctor a couple of times about this, one said it could be a condition (forgot the name - it was years ago) where the patient usually appears vacant during the time this happens, however the diagnosed symptoms last for usually a minimum of half an hour. The other doctor laughed at me and said it was impossible that an audible noise could come from within my head. This was after i told him that my girlfriend looked at me wierdly when it was happening and asked if i was making that noise (i didnt let her know it was happening at that point untill then).
Mine only last for a minute or so and during this i feel very sick and quite dizzy and sometimes feel like im about to collapse.
Its happened for as long as i can remember. I'm just worrying that its having long term damage on my brain, nerves or similar.
I know no one else who has this so i am really glad to find others like myself! Hope this gets a medical diagnosis sometime soon.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life