Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Sore lump behind left ear

I woke up this morning and found a lump behind my left ear on the bone. it is not sore to the touch but my neck and that area is sore. What could it be i think i have had this before.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a middle ear infection, which can spread causing a painful lump behind the ear. This could be a lymph node or sometimes the infection can spread to the mastoid bone. But if it is due to this you should have accompanying ear pain. Sometimes repetitive injuries or strain can also produce these symptoms. Inflammation of the muscles, joints and surrounding soft tissues can also cause pain. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life