Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Sore lump in throat.....

I have been having a pain in my throat that is sore and uncomfortable on my left upper side of my throat, directly above that I have a sore on the ruff of my mouth and now I have tiny black spots (3) on my gums/cheeks. It is extremly painful to eat or swallow. About a year ago I had 3 large sores the size of a nickle in my mouth that went away. I do not have insurance and am not sure who to see and am limited on funds. Should I seek a Dr and if so who?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could most probably be tonsillitis and a throat infection. Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, fever, scratchiness in the throat, post nasal drip, malaise and loss of appetite are symptoms of tonsillitis. It can be caused by bacteria like streptococcus or it could be a viral infection. Bacterial infections need antibiotics. Consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests and take a throat swab to determine the cause and prescribe appropriate medications. In the meantime, you could take OTC multivitamins. Take plenty of warm oral fluids and lots of rest. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles and steam inhalations. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life