Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Strange gas smell ...

Oookay, so, it's a little strange, really, because I've gotten this quite a few times over the last few years, and it usually lasts a week, sometimes less, but it's never been this strong. When I breathe in and ESPECIALLY when I breathe out I can smell gasoline, but it smells a little sweeter... It's weird and it annoys me and is distracting me from my work. Anyways, I've developed a very dry throat, my eyes have been watering constantly, and I seem to be having a harder time concentrating than usual (like my mind has become fuzzy or something), and it's not just because of the smell ... I looked up the other nose smelly things, but it all involves mysterious smoke smells, or some symptoms that I haven't had, luckily.

I've never had asthma, nor any other respiratory problems in my life, and I haven't been doing anything strange, like drugs or a different diet ... so what the heck is this? I don't want to assume the worst, but it won't stop! It happens, oh, let's say, every couple of months, and the smell comes and goes, but now it's constant, every time I breathe in AND out. It's sickening! Any help?
I am experiencing the EXACT thing.  I am really curious to know if there are any suggested remedies for this condition. As you stated, it is really distracting, and I also find it quite annoying. I do not like the smell of gasoline, and it actually interrupts my attempts to sleep; however, once I am asleep, I sleep well.
Starting yesteday (7/15/08), I have had the constant smell of gasoline/exhaust fumes (it's the only thing I can relate it to) in my nose.  I, too, would like to know what causes this.  It is very annoying, considering that the smell of gas/exhaust makes me nauseous.  
Same here, exactly....it's driving me mad. everything smells and even tastes "gassy" and/or "moldy". i can't exactly put my finger on it but is has been extremely distracting and annoying.
for the past few months I smell something like sweet, burnt logs, or old ashes but sweet.
It hits me at different times and different places so I know it is internal. Very annoying and a little scary, Like what is going wrong internally that is causing this smell? I am being treated for GERD, LPR and also have sinus problems. Have trouble swallowing and drainage.
Very strange - I have the same problem and I have neglected telling anything for fear of sounding insane.  It's so annoying - constant smell of exhaust/gas but w/o the headache I would probably have if it was actually exhaust.  I've noticed I can no longer wear perfume, it just smells horrid and so strong and I barely spray a 1/2 spray.  I have had to take off my shirt with the perfume on it and shower just to get the smell off.

Anyone gone to the dr to get this checked out?

I do smoke and have for years but this is new... and so strange and just plain annoying.  
I have the gas smell also. I have been getting the episodes for about 5 years. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. Even after being medicated for it I still have the smell episodes. ( having and have had one now going on 9 days) I have had an MRI EEG and a CT done. My Drs have all dismissed me and say they don't know why. They don't even seem interested. Like I am making it up or something. I even went to the DR today and I still have no answers.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life