Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Strange hoarseness for a month and a half

For the last month and a half I’ve been having a hoarse voice. When the hoarseness didn’t pass I went to an ENT (three weeks ago now) who had a look at my vocal cords with a camera and told me they where red/swollen. His theory was that I had been misusing my voice and prescribed voice rest.

Now, it’s been a month and a half since my symptoms first started and my voice still is really bad. I have been resting my voice sort of on and off and probably could have done a better job at it. Still, I have a hard time believing vocal misuse is the underlying cause here since I’ve never had any problems before, haven’t been using my voice differently and don’t have a job that requires me to use my voice excessively (I’m a student).

My voice still sounds sort of forced and strangled and it gets especially bad when I speak a lot. I have also been starting to feel a lump sensation in my throat from time to time. I’ve been searching the web trying to figure out the cause and am leaning towards that it might be caused by acid reflux. From what I understand both lump sensation and hoarseness can be symptoms of Acid reflux. I have also been burping a lot more during the last year which I understand is also a symptom of Acid Reflux.

I am a 25-year-old man and I don’t smoke. It might also be worth to note that I have been having a lingering sore throat (mild soreness, no fever) for most of this winter.

Any ideas?
You might be on the right track with having GERD, if you are having feeling of the acid burning as well.  GERD can make the throat look red.  GERD can give sore throat (personal experience). I think dry air with forced heating can too in the winter.  

But I don't think GERD normally affects the voice?  And w/the lump feeling and redness, I'd recommend getting a second doctor opinion from another ear, nose, and throat specialist on this.  You wouldn't want to miss if it were cancer or something.  

Burping can be a sign of a gallbladder issue, I believe, also, so you might want to get that checked too.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life