Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Swollen gland on neck. Very worried...

i am a 39 year old female. about 6 weeks ago i noticed i had, what seemed to be, an enlarged lymph node on the right side of my neck.  i would say it is in the 'jugular' area. at the time i also had a bit of a runny nose and felt like i had a bit of a cold virus perhaps.  i didn't have a sore throat or stuffy nose though.  also no fever. i checked the swollen gland every day and i thought it had gone away after about a week. about two weeks ago i had some chills and slight body aches that lasted on and off for a few days.  then one week ago i woke up and touched my neck for some reason and noticed that the same area was swollen again.  i'm not even sure if it ever went away to begin with. i went to my doctor the next day and she felt around and could barely feel it. it seems like sometimes i can feel it more then other times. my boyfriend also felt it so i know it is there. my doctor did not seem concerned and sent me on my way. i check it a few times a day and it seemed like it was getting smaller a few days ago. last night i was at a bar with my boyfriend having a couple drinks and i felt my neck and i could 'feel' it again. it felt like it originally did. it seems to be about the size of a pea. i don't know enough medically to tell if it is 'fixed' or 'palpable'. after reading all kinds of things on the internet i worry about lymphoma or other cancers. i feel scared, depressed and withdrawn today. physically i feel fine and i have no fevers. does anyone have any insight? i'm debating on whether to go back to my primary doctor tomorrow. i had my yearly routine blood panel done this past august and all was normal.  
You mention having some alcohol (I assume, drinks at a bar), this makes me wonder if you are having a reaction to something in your environment - a allergy so to speak.  

I suggest you think back on all the times the lump has surfaced and try to see if there is anything in your activity/environment that also took place at those times.

Yes, a visit with your doctor seem reasonable, but only if you have something new to show/tell - if the lump is gone it seems unlikely your doctor will change her diagnosis.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life