Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Swollen tonsils, hard lump under chin in throat

Hello! I'm 18, female, and worried!

I have always had throat issues growing up, strep, mono, just a sore throat.

I've had a sore throat for about three months now, but nothing very painful, obviously, or I wouldn't have ignored it for so long. But recently, just a few days ago, I woke up with a large, hard lump in my throat. It is located in the center of my throat..maybe a little to the right, and it's up near the bottom of my chin. When I first noticed it it was very large and you could see it sticking out underneath my chin with my head straight forward. I think it's gone down a little in size now you can only see it when I tilt my head back.

This lump has caused my sore throat to actually be painful. I am constantly feeling as if I am about to cry.. you know when you get that ball in your throat? I feel like this lump is pushing on my tonsils or something.

when I yawn, it feels as if my tonsils are swollen and being pressed up into my ears, so it hurts my ears to yawn.

I'm just wondering if I should be worried? or I don't know. any information you can give is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life