Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Tell us your experience with strep throat.

Strep throat is common in children, teens, and adults.   Strep throat is a contagious disease caused by infection with streptococcal bacteria, which causes inflammation and swelling of the mucous membranes lining the back of the throat and the tonsils. It is a common cause of sore throat in school-aged children and teens, and its prompt diagnosis and treatment is important to prevent any potential complications.
Strep throat is one of the most painful experiences I am currently having. At first I just thought I had a sore throat, but when anti-bacterial cough lollies, and various gargles didn't give me any relief I went to the doctor and found out my pain was strep. I experienced body aches, and joint pains, lethargy, blocked ears, acid taste in the back of my throat, mucus build up in the back of my throat, which I couldn't clear because it was too painful to cough, I couldn't swallow because of the pain it caused and I couldn't eat because of the pain it caused. It is the most painful throat I have ever had. I was also vomiting up mucus, and had loss of appetite. Nasty thing to get, but it's been about 12 hours since I started antibiotics, and my throat is still very sore, but I have noticed that it feels a little better. I am hoping I will wake up tomorrow feeling much better.
I am 37 years old, diagnosed with strep throat! What seemed to be a weekend getaway with the wife, and little cousins blowing up balloons with laughter turned out to be a terrible weekend. Strep throat for eight days with enormous pain. I had unbearable throat pain with ravaged tonsils and fever. It beat me down. If one truly acquires real strep throat, yikes! It may seem like it will never end, however thankfully there is light at the end! Humbling experience.
Last week I had strep throat infection. I am certainly still taking antibiotics but now I feel like I have urine infection.
I have had a sore throat for 3 days. I have a large white spot on one side of my tonsils. I cannot even eat, it hurts so much. The doctor said he is not sure if it is strep but he gave me antibiotics anyway. I do not have a fever and have not had strep in 30 years.
Sudden onset of horrible sore throat, but I also have cough, headache and body aches, though no fever. I have tons of sinus drainage, and constantly having to cough and swallow. Strep Is positive, and flu negative.
I just got over a horrible case of strep throat. I am 42, and apparently I am in the 5 to 10 percent of adults who get a terrible case of it. It hit me like a freight train all at once at night. My throat swelled horribly, lymph nodes too, and was red. I couldn't swallow. My whole body ached 10/10 and the worst part was the headache. I could barely move. I got to the doctor right away and test came right back as positive for strep. They put me on penicillin and by the 3rd dose swelling in throat started to subside. Aches subsided about 12 hours later but, 2.5 days later, I still had headaches off and on. The odd thing was, in the beginning I didn't have a fever, but after swelling in throat started to subside, then I started to get a fever. Highest was 101 and fluctuated for 2.5 days from 99.5 to 101. My symptoms are pretty much gone now (3.5 days on penicillin), but I feel like I was run over by a truck. Nasty experience.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life