Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Thick sticky mucus in my throat

Reposting ..hoping for some help

Hello .. I have been suffering from thick sticky mucus .. clear but sometimes white . Its hard to get rid .. wont move . So thick and very distressing .its really effecting my quality of life . I forever howking up to try and move it ..but however much I do so and manage to get up ..theres always a ball of it just stuck at the back of my throat . Sometimes I can grab it and drag it out from the back of my throat .. thick and stringy .. and could almost tie it in a knot . Gross eh :-(

Ive tried steam inhalation .. gargling .. drinking loads of water . . and still its the same . Had this problem about three years now . Is there anybody out there that help me please .

Thank you
Hi, I too have had this same problem for almost 7 yrs. now.  Nothing I have tried helps.  I even had sinus surgery and all that did was make it worse.  It never stops drainings. After tons of tests and tons of money the doctors said that it has to do with my autonomic nervous system - I guess like vasomotor rhiniits.  There is not too much of anything that they can do for me.  I have tried every nasal spray that was ever made and I even had oral steroids too.  Steam inhalation, nasal irrigation for almost 7 yrs. and nothing helps.  I got this after I had the flu from when I was in a third world country.  My doctor said that viruses can do alot of damage to the body and it could even change the way the mucus glands secrete their secretions.  I guess there is not much research done on this problem because it is not life threatening, only makes life miserable.  Does your undereyes ever swell up ? Mine do, they swell up and then go down again, up and then down. My under eyes almost have a bluish discoloration under them. I guess it is from the blood vessels leaking under the skin tilssues.  Does your nose get stuffy from perfume, cleaning supplies, scented laundry soap and other scented things??  If so, you probable have the same problem, but I sure hope not.       T ake care ---- Laaz
Thank you. You are the first person to accurately describe what's been ruining my life for the last year and a half. I've seen so many doctors, and they just shrug me off.
Hi. I discovered that I am allergic to concentrated orange juice or any concentrated drinks--slushes, snowcones bc the syrups come from concentrated juices.  also--cant have any chili pepper in anything. ill get a sore throat--on fire--then mucus starts up for days.  
You could very well have what laaz has, or it's also possible to have the same problem with acid reflux, which irritates your throat and causes supermucus.  A solution was recently posted by silkysoft, and you can read it at the bottom of the comments part of me journal.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322
I've got the same thing. I have had it now nearly two years and it has gotten worse more than anything. I have found nothing to help it either. I am having an upper GI done, but chances are it won't do any good either. I've had tons of tests done and spent a fortune, but still no relief. I just went to bed one night, woke up feeling like I had something stuck in my throat and from there I have gotten this thick, clear almost gel like mucus in my throat. I hate it. It comsumes my every moment. I hate going to work now too. I feel like I annoy people with my strange noises and am depressed about it. If I cry now, my throat gets full of this stuff, it's horrible. My dad just died and I've cried a lot and I have found that my tears fill up my throat, it's awful. If you find something to help you, let me know, and I will let you know too. I'm afraid there are a lot of us out here with this and no doctor really gives a **** about it. They give ya the regular nasal sprays and what not, but that's it.
Good luck.
Dakotawinks
I had the same thing.  I got it after an influenze bout a few years ago.  After doctor's pills, allergy pills and several different types of inhalers that did nothing to improve the situation I was about ready to give up and in a despairing revalation realized I would have to live with this for the rest of my life.  I did one last search on the internet and came across a posting that has starting to help me.  My mucus is becoming "runnier" each day and my sinuses are clearing up.  Oregano has natural antibacterial and antiviral compounds.  I put about a half a teaspoon in my salt water nasal spray and use it several times a day.  I also put a pinch under my tongue to get those same compounds into my system.  I read you have to stay focused on this process until you are completely cured.  I am encouraged.
You are probably the first one who claims to have a solution. However, your solution is not so clear for me. Could you summarize it again?
Thanks in advance.
Pengyou
I have been having this problem for about six months. It's makes life miserable. I have been reading up and I found a post from someone saying he had this problem for a few years and someone said it could be an reaction too nuts. He stopped eating all nuts and a few weeks later it began too clear up n he hasn't had any mucus unless he eats nuts. I eat alot of peanut butter and food with nuts so I'm going to see if his solution works for me. There isn't a guarantee but it's not like it can make our situations any worse. It may not be the cure for everyone but hopefully it helps some people
Thank you for suggestion to avoid eating nuts. I'll give this a try. I have had this problem for 9 months since my mother died. Could be stress related perhaps. Keep suggestions coming - we'll find a cure eventually. If the medical profession researches it there will be plenty of return on investment as it appears to be such a widespread problem! All the best everyone. Will let you know if I have success.
10 years now that i have this problem,in my ears back of my nose the string that comes out of my throat once in a while,ya i can tie a knot whith it soooo sticky,i take klynnex twist it in my nose and pull some of the mucus out,i feel it pull from the back of my eyes when i do get to pull a good peace out i get like a buzz feel so good air gets in pressure is better for about 1min,in my tears too, fells like fibers in my tears,cant live with this problem anymore,so many doctors scan operations pills,some pills did work two hours after taking the pill better for 10 days starts back,cant take those pills for more then 10 days.no one can live with me the sounds cant sleep wake up every hour.
trying new pill pressures gone not in my ears apo sulfatrim ds,800+160mg twice a day 8:00am and 5:00pm for ten days.
These are all allergy based problems...and there is no solution for allergy.
It comes with particular thing and then goes of ...so avoid that allergy trigger in your life. that can be cold, flower, fragnance, spray other. or one can try homeopathy treatment to have better immune system to fight against allergy.
Good Luck
I too have suffered from this for many years- I personally do not believe it is all allergy based problem. There are so many toxins / polutions adatives etc... on and on, that it has changed the way our metabolism and immune system opperates. It has caused mutations in genetics that even get past on to future generations etc... even right down to antibiotics and steroids that is fed to the animals and fish we consume nowadays; "You are what you eat- likewise for the animals in our food chain." And the same goes for field crops with the pest and weed control as well as geneticly altered plants and animals alike. - What I am saying is that it is not always the / or a doctor's misdiagnosis or disregard to our problems but rather we have entered into a new phase of sicknesses that are and cannot be clearified and diagnosed as they use to be able to do only 20 yrs ago. I say these things partly because I am in the same environment and eat the same diet week after week and year after year- It makes no difference, I still have bouts of these horrible symptoms. Sometimes worse than others and once in a blue moon it will just stop and no symptoms at all for an entire day. If I am lucky it may be a couple of days and nights. I also suffer from many other types of symptoms that I would swear must be realted in some way, but I really don't know if they are or not.??? It is so overwhelming that it simply depresses the hell out of you! Your anxiety goes through the roof etc... Go to the doc and they hand you the cure-all wonder drug of the new age the good ole SSRI's "anti-depressants" because the have the ability to lessen many symptoms for most people and aleiviate the anxiety and or depression that comes from Just Plain Old Being Very Sick but unfortunately there is no cure for- a diagnosis possibly but not a cure yet! ...Hell, as far as we know we may have developed a new version of "Cystic Fibrosis" that may be causing this horribly thick, sticky, gelled and stringy mucus! ?" I am 52 years old and I am sick and I am finding that more and more people are sick in unexplained ways or unspecified. However, I do hope yours and the rest of the ones that are complaining of these symptoms do get a proper and accurate diagnosis and cure! Sincerely, Hang in threre.
I too have the same problem. I'm currently waiting to see a few specialist I have already seen in the past. I have already had a tonsillectomy, nasal polypectomy, and still no luck. I believe the adenoids which he didn't remove may also be causing the problem. Currently things that help are being well hydrated, ensuring that you breath through the nose to decrase/dry build up of mucus and bacteria in nasal cavity, neti pot but NOT religiously, sudafed when symptoms are really bad, and most importantly good diet, exercise, and stress management. FYI, when I get the flu for some reason the syptoms tend to decrease a lot. Could this be some sort of chronic viral sinusitis, in which your immune system temporarily fights the infection to relieve symptoms? Edward D. RN
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life