Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Throat sores

I have a lump, on my tonsil that has been there for a few weeks and I can feel it when I'm just doing normal things ie. breathing, eating etc. It has never been painful just uncomfortable. In the last two or three days as well as this, I have got a couple of blister looking things developed on the back of my throat behind my tonsil. It is extremely painful to swallow, I haven't eaten or drank anything and I sometimes have to spit out my spit (so sorry for being gross!!) because it is just too painful. My tonsil is also slightly swollen - this is all only on one side of my mouth. I'm really worried and have no idea what it is, my tonsils aren't white and extremely swollen so I'm almost sure it isn't tonsilitus?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The tonsils appear enlarged, so your symptoms could most probably be due to tonsillitis and a throat infection. Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, fever, scratchiness in the throat, post nasal drip, malaise and loss of appetite are symptoms of tonsillitis. It can be caused by bacteria like streptococcus or it could be a viral infection. Bacterial infections need antibiotics. Consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests and take a throat swab to determine the cause and prescribe appropriate medications. In the meantime, take plenty of warm oral fluids and lots of rest. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles and steam inhalations. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals.  Hope this helped and Do Take Care!  
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life