Thumping Sound in Ear
I've just started having this weird thumping sound in my ear.  Just to describe it...

(1) It is a muted sound, much like when you pop your ear to try to equalize the pressure, but not as loud.  

(2) It is irregular, as in it doesn't follow my hearbeat in any way... but it is happening 14-15 times every minute.

(3) It does have a feeling to it... as in, when you hear a noise, it doesn't feel like something physical is happening to you... this feels something like pressure being relieved from the ear...

Anyone have a clue?
I just had an episode.  Sounds like someone beatng a drum.  doesn't hurt.  just caught me off guard couse I have had these sounds in my ears before... but it had been a while.  

lasted for a short time ... been gone since I started this post

Anna
I just posted... new to this site... anyway... I just had an episode of thumpping sound in my ear, left one to be exact.  It didn't hurt.... short lived, and no longer there... gone :-)   It just caught me off guard because it had been a while since I had felt and heard that sound in my ear....

thanks
I've been suffering from this pulsing noise in my right ear for about 4 years now.  The first time was about 2 or 3 beats and I was lying down.  I was a bit freaked out but it didn't happen again for another year.  Again it happened last year - every time seems to coincide with a stressful event.  This time, about 2 weeks ago it started when I went to bed and it didn't stop.  All night I was awake with the thumping noise in my ear.  I saw two specialists last year.  One gave me an MRI and couldn't find anything.  The other gave me a Cat Scan and found that I have a 'high riding jugular bulb'.  Basically my jugular vein is a bit wider nearer my right ear.  However, he said I was 'probably' born with this, so not explaining why I would be hearing the heartbeat.  He let me go without really ever explaining anything, but told me it could get worse or it could get better.  I wasn't happy but as long as it wasn't ruining my life, I thought I'd be fine.  Now I'm not sleeping, I've had to get sleeping tablets from my GP and I'm seeing yet another ENT specialist tomorrow.  The most depressing thing is that everything I read says this is not treatable.  My blood pressure is fine, but I do feel my head is 'full'.  It happens mostly when I come home from work and lasts til morning.  At work I'm fine.  I tried over the counter water retention pills and for two blissful nights my ear was quiet.  However they don't work any more.  I may try Sudafed as someone has suggested here, but I'm hoping the specialist tomorrow will not fob me off like the last two.

Juliet
The only time I hear thumping in my eardrum, I found, is when I drink something with aspartame.
Comforting to find a group with my issue of pulsating ear and metal crickets in ear. It started at the end of March I had only soft ticking in left ear. I diddn't know what it was. I use alternative medicine. I went to my accupuncturist.I thought it high cortisol from adrenals. I had no pain. I then had dentist appointment found I had to have tooth pulled and cavity in back upper molar by ear. I was put on anti-biotics. I told dentist I had this pulsating. He said ah it is toth in need of root-canal. Tooth had had root canal 25 years ago.So no pain even with cavity..but we assumed root-canal would take care of this. I had to wait for appointment for endodentist had begiining opening for root canal july 16th..was on anti-biotis and ibuprofem 800mg. Had closing completion of tooth aug.16th...still had pulsating 2 weeks after called endodentist...he gave me 500mg more ant-biotics over phone and more ibuprofen....went in for check and picture taken...seemed tooth doing well and healing. But still pulsating sound in head and now cricket chorous like metal chiming.Went to ENT he said I now have lost high frequentcy hearing...I now know it is from all the drugs I took from dentist's.I usuallt gp to dentist every 6 mos. This time I waited 1 1/2 years. boy am i sorry I waited!!! Now ENT ordered MRI/MRA  of brain & ar and MRA/MRI of neck...This is scarey : ( I go this Friday @ 8AM and next Tues.8AM This is frightening...

Wrenbrook

Oh man I thought I was tripping this thumping in my ear ......all the things u guys say are the same symptoms I'm experiencing but it is. So loud I have difficulty hearing most time . Its so to the point that i  notice when the thumping has stopped breifly. Looking into N ent appointment soon
I notice that during the day, I usually don't hear the thumping, but in the evening time when everything is quiet, (like when I'm reading a book) then that's when I notice it. It will pulsate and sometimes I can even feel it. Like a little tiny popping sound. When I lay down at night to sleep, it goes away. I use earplugs on the weekends to block out the noise of my grandkids who are upstairs. So I think that maybe, earplugs are responsible for the thumping.
Wow I just did this... putting pressure to the lower cheek bones, and it did take some of the sound of the thumping noise away and slowed it down. But the thumping is still there. It is interesting how this slows down the thumping. I need to go to the Dr. with this... I have had this over a year and now it seems to be really bothering me to where I can't think of much else because the thumping is so heavy and constant. It never stops. It is driving me crazy. Took a Sudafed a bit ago as suggested by someone else on this page, will see how that works. Since I found so many with this same problem I don't feel so bad, thought it could be something worse. I just want the thumping to stop.
this is the closest comment to my problem the thumping is random but i have noticed that when i sit at the computer at work and at home it starts and some times when im in bed but no where near as much as when I am on the computer
It irritates me so much it distracts me from what im trying to do
Did the Sudafed work?
Wow!  brand new to this site, and it has scared the life out of me, it seems very likely that the "dripping rain onto an umbrella" sound I have had in my left ear for the past four days is going to be with me for the rest of my life, I have had a bigger than normal amount of stress just recently, coupled with the fact that I have had high blood pressure in the past, and bingo, I've got the same thing hundreds of people have, it's called "no idear" see what I did there, but seriously, this a a really annoying sensation, I'm only a few days in and I'm climbing the walls, so I can only imagine what the ten year veterans are going through.
I will give it a week or two then start the apparently much trodden path of the GP, followed by an array of ENT specialists who will all come to the same diagnosis, it's "we don't really know" itis, I'm hoping the medical profession will read this site one day and at least take a look at this very real (but completely ignored) problem, I would love to be the bringer of good news, but I'm sorry to say that I can't, so fellow sufferers hang in there.      
Wrenbrook, Ibuprofen can cause tinnitus.  Hope you are no longer taking it.

I hear thumbs that range from loud on some days, to moderate to soft.  On occassions, absolute silence.  Strange.

When you turn your head left or right, do you hear a whoosh sound?

What kind of scans precribed for you?  Understand abnormalities, if any, can be detected best by ct angiogram?  

Mine started in my left ear about two weeks ago when I was on a ski trip, and thanks to being housed in bunk beds with 3 other grown men I didn't get much sleep, for two nights in a row.  I have a feeling the two are related.  

Since the medical community has not come up with a name for this yet I am calling it; 'pillow-in-a-bass-drum-with-a-small-child-stepping-on-the-pedal-ear-i-tuss'.  

And with the clueless medical assessments I've read so far I am dis-inclined to try anything drastic.  And by 'drastic' I mean something along the lines of taking half a baby-aspirin.  I am no where near considering an MRI or exploratory surgery.  

I am going to get healthy and hope this goes away.  I'll let you know if it does.

Thank you very much.  
Dave "Noisy Conk Shell With the Hic-ups in One Ear" Nave
I got punched in my left ear last night....  Its not bruised or anything, just really sore..... But now it feels like its vibrating inside, and now in my right ear it feels like a pulse is in my ear.... Im 3 months pregnant.... Im not sure whats going on... Should i go to the er tonight?
My Cure, worth trying for others having this irregular thumping in their ears that comes and goes.
I noticed that I could re-create this thumping when I hit the reflex point of my knee (the part that the doctor hits with a small rubber malet to test your reflexes). Try taking a firm (but not very hard) object with some sort of handle and in the sitting position with your back straight, lightly tap your reflex point on your knee, for me it takes a few times before i find the right spot, but when I do I hear that thuping in my ear. When I have an eposide of thumping I do this and it seems to stop. I use a large felt tipped marker to hit my reflex point, it seems to have the right weight behind it. I don't have to hit it hard, just lightly in the right spot and it works.
I hope that it might help some people.
My theory is that somehow there is a direct line of nerves running from that replex point in your knee right by the ear nerves. I have no evidence to back this up, but I know that when I hit the right spot on my knee, I can hear it thump in my ear. Maybe I'm an annomoly, but I am hoping it helps some of you who have had this issue for a long time. Good luck.
This is for all that suffer with this, I had this over 30 years ago & lasted for over 3 years, nearly driving me to suicide.  It was a spasm of the Tensor Tympany muscle making a small bone inside of my ear tap on the eardrum. I went to any specialists who didn't know what it was.  I finally had an ear surgeon diagnose & cut the muscle/  I've been fine since.
The thumping only happens for me when I'm dehydrated, or if I've washed my hands too many times in a day and they are dry. Seriously! I drink water and/or lotion-up my hands and it goes away. Good luck.
I have that problem, seems to be aggrivated when I'm stressed but not necessarily..... the more noise the worse it gets too.....
Attend to ear problems early.  If you are on medicare you get two answers from ear doctors.   "Get hearing aids.  Next."  or "Get reincarnated.  Next."
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........i hear the same sound when i chew or move my jaw
My thumping just started tonight. It sounds like a bass from music but no rhythm and its goes like 2-3 times every 15-30 seconds then does it again i just wanna know what the hell is going on i cleaned them out pourd a crap load of poroxide in my ear. Even had my mom look and see if there was a bug in my ear
mine started today, I got out of the shower and it began shortly after. I have my first day at work today so i can only imagine it is partly to do with increased blood pressure? I suffer from hay-fever quite badly which may also be linked? Nevertheless i tried laying down completely covering my ear with the palm of my hand for about 5 minutes reading these comments and it seemed to stop happening as much. Going to the docs tomorrow to see if anything can be done
My husband started experiencing occasional pounding in his right ear about 2-3 months ago. The closest description he's seen on this page is "hammering". He may go several days w/o it and some days it may occur off and on. He had it while on is BP medicine and while off it (stopped it for a time because it causes coughing). He had a normal hearing exam but his BP was up so the doctor suggested that was cause (while on his BP meds 118/68 and started with the symptoms). I have Meniere's so I understand how ear issues can become maddening.
Did it go away yet? I'm not liking all these post about this thumping sound in my ear either. Nobody seems to know what it is!
Don't wait to get it properly evaluated.  My wife had the pounding sound that came and went on an off for a few months.  Then it stopped.  In May 2013 she became confused and could not speak.  We found she had an ARTERIOVENOUS MALFORMATION (AVM) that had become large and caused stroke-like symptoms by pressing on her brain.  These are RARE and it may have been congenital - they are NOT seen on CT or normal MRI.  You have to do an arteriogram sot find them.  When treated for ischemic stroke after a clean CT at the ER, she had a massive bleed (subarachnoid hemorrhage) and almost died.  She is recovering from this very slowly.  

Not trying to scare you, but you need competent medical evaluation by a neurologist to ensure it is not an AVM.  

i started having this last night and i have had bad allergies this year and lately have had a lot of drainage in my sinus and throat and I believe some fluid was trapped in there or perhaps the nasal swelling casue the thump not sure but I took my FLONASE and ten minutes later NO THUMP thank the lord !!
I began having this issue after a recent summertime cold with congested sinuses. I used a nettie pot on several occasions and I think the pressure in my sinuses might have started those muscle spasms in my left ear. The sound is sometimes rhythmic, like someone gently pounding on a wall next to my head. Yours sounds like the best explanation. It's definitely a spasm of some sort. From most of the posts this seems like a permanent problem that can only be fixed by surgery. Since I probably feel this thing 10-15 times a day and only for 3-5 seconds at a time I wouldn't be inclined to have someone start rummaging around in there with sharp objects... It would have to become a lot more of a frequent problem before I'd be tempted to seek treatment.
I don't think you read the posts very carefully. Nearly everybody is saying that the thumping sound is irregular and NOT in time with their heartbeat. So maybe most people here will not be helped by the information you have posted.

It just started happening to me in the last 48 hours, like some others I'm ok during the day then it starts late afternoon and carried on through the evening. To the person who posted about the stiff necks etc. thanks, I have terrible stiff necks and shoulders from too much computer work to maybe there is something in it that. Good luck everybody.
Thank you! This was helpful than the usual go to a doctor so they can tell you to take allergy medicine.
I have the same thing in my right ear. It came one morning for no reason. Did you know what causes that?
Thank you, I am a little depressed, I though it was hyperacusis and I am only 23.
I had this thumping in the ear for 3 days. Then, this evening I was at the gym and was speaking to the instructor, I told him I had cramp in my leg yesterday, he advised me to increase my magnesium intake as low magnesium can cause muscle spasms. On that basis I wondered if the thumping in my ear could be a muscle spasm due to low magnesium, so I have looked up foods high in magnesium. I've been eating these for the past hour and the thumping in the ear has ceased. So, it could be low magnesium levels.
What muscle is this? Has having it cut caused you any problems? Did you have it cut on both sides? It sounds like a drastic measure. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. I have had this condition since the '80s…always upon waking from a nap or from sleep at night…never an issue during the day (except aforementioned naps). Please tell me as much as you can..sounds like you have the best outcome of anyone of these numerous posts I have read.
My experience is that taking Tums (gas neutralizing tabs) whenever you  have ear  thumping sound  cures it. Probably it is related to gastric problems-
.

.

Let me know if you find out what  is causing your symptoms. I have the same problem that you are describing.
Hi my name is Joyce I have had this thumping in both my ears but with me having fibromyalgia it is more intense it just started last year (2012-13) I can't remember which year but anyway it makes me so very sick I have to lay down for it to subside just enough to function but if I get up it is so intense I can't stand it, so what should I say to an ENT when I ask my Dr for a recommendation of one?
I recently have experienced this issue.  My right ear feels full and it has come and gone on a few occasions.  The last time I had this and it somehow went away after I had about 4 cups of coffee at a friend's house.  It recently (last night) came back right after I had a huge mouth-opening wide yawn.  3 cups of coffee today so far and it's still here. I believe mine first started about 5 weeks ago, have been unable to sleep on either side because of shoulder bursitis, and when on my back I'm almost always laying my head over to the left side.  Not big on going to the doctor's so I might try some natural remedies for my ear.
I do experience the same thing. Have you found the cause?
In the last few months, I have experienced pressure in my ears and sometimes it sounds like someone is turning the knob on the volume control up and down. Sometimes it sounds like a large slow moving fan with rhythmic "woo woo woo" sounds.  Sometimes this would occur for several hours, sometimes for days. Its very annoying.

I found my neck / shoulder muscles to be tense. I use a heated rice sock, apply it on the inflamed area and within minutes my ears are back to normal. Geez..wished I knew that months ago.
This is getting so annoying it doesn't match my hearbeat its just random thumping it goes fast and slow I'm just so confused. It doesn't hurt at all and its been going on for about a week now
Hi I've been getting it a lot lately in my left ear, Ive found that holding my nose and blowing 4 or 5 times in quick succession (like going under water and making your ears pop or on a flight) seems to calm it right down, I'll have to do a couple of times to really stop it
I have had bad surfers ear for a long time caused by narrow tubes, i get this rhythmic thumping in my ear that follows my heartbeat, i have noticed it comes on when my ear gets water in it from diving, really annoying and last for several days.  i think you are on the money with your description.
I have had bad surfers ear for a long time caused by narrow tubes, i get this rhythmic thumping that follows my heartbeat, i have noticed it comes on when my ear gets water in it from diving, really annoying and last for several days.  i think you are on the money with your description.
Well, by all that is said...I think I will just not worry about it....as long it is not gonna kill me! The only reason I looked it up in the first place.
I know I have had this before, but today....I guess it must have concerned me.
But no more...toodles....thanks all!
Mine just literally started tonight (about 4 hours ago from when I'm posting this). It is only happening on my right ear. My right sinus was a little congested, and I'm thinking the thumping started because of it. I think I'm also having high blood pressure (which could have alternatively caused it???). Crossing my fingers that this is temporary/not life-threatening. That post about AVM scared the crap out of me though as I'm kind of a hypochondriac. I'm going to a GP this week.
I've been experiencing mild thumping in one ear in response to loud noises, speaking certain syllables, and listening to noises with no background noise. Seems to be getting worse as this is year 2 with it.

Doctor diagnosed it as Meniere's disease due to higher pressure in my inner ears and recommended...."Low salt diet and diuretic". I used to eat a very low salt diet and never had this problem so he may be onto something. But then again my blood pressure is very good right now so I doubt it's the pressure causing the thumping.

I've supplemented magnesium but it does not seem to affect it. I don't want to take the diuretic but will be returning to a low-salt diet primarily made up of raw fruits and vegetables to see if this alleviates the problem. If you'd like an update or can share advice please email me at benjamin.james.***@****
I have had this thumping sound in both ears. Comes and goes all day and all night long. I wake up, no tv on, no sound whatsoever, and it starts as soon as i wake up. Have been to the hospital and they wont take the time to figure out what the problem is.
I'm pretty sure loud music has something to do with my ear thumping. I had it off and on for years but I didn't make the connection to loud music because the ENT thought it was an allergy causing the opening to my eustacian tube to swell up. He didn't mention anything about loud music. Years after the first episode I woke up with tinnitus and the ear thumping after a night of loud music.    
  So stay away from loud noises. If you're not sure if something's too loud you can buy a decibel meter and check. There are charts  online that say how long you can listen to sounds at each decibel level before any damage is done to your ear. The damage is permanent and can keep building up from more loud noise exposure until you may wind up with tinnitus. Supposedly about 15% of the population has at least a mild form of tinnitus
I am having this too...I hear a pounding noise in my right ear. However when I tilt my head to the left it disappears/ becomes extremely quiet. If I tilt my head to the right then the pounding (only in that ear) starts again, super loud. If my head is straight I hear it at a regular volume that doesn't bother me too much. I have no idea what it is but it started a couple months ago. I am 20 years old.
I am having this too...I hear a pounding noise in my right ear. However when I tilt my head to the left it disappears/goes very quiet. If I tilt my head to the right then the pounding starts again, super loud (again, this is only happening in my right ear). If my head is straight I hear it at a regular volume that doesn't bother me too much. I have no idea what it is but it started a couple months ago. I am 20 years old.
i had have this from 2 month,first it whas sporadic,now it s 5 days 24h a day,did enyone have it on non stop for so long?did it stop?i hated it before,but now it s not going away,contact me if eny one have the awser please
Hi, not everyone will get there answer here, but I'm sure at least some will.  People that suffer from EHS (Electrical Hyper sensitive) suffer with mysteries ear problems such as tinnitus and thumping of ears - presumable because microwave light frequences pulses against the eardrum and irritate this.  This can also be the case with the whole nervous system.  Of cause there is many other reasons for thumping ears.  Feel free to read more on:

https://ehtrust.org/science/electromagnetic-sensitivity/
http://www.detect-protect.com/k/evidence/guidancefordoctors.htm
https://www.emfanalysis.com/emf-refugee/

Stress and stiff neck and shoulder muscles also affects ears.  Especially if one massage the front neck muscles - but they all need to be released.  Chiro might also help.  Furthermore some reflexology might also bring relieve.  Feel with your fingers over your hands and feet for stiff or crystal parts.  One need a rather firm pressure.  Once you find a hard spot massage until it release.  If you love learning about your body to heal, consider looking at reflexology charts on the internet to link the dots.  It often sheds the light on mysteries problems.
I also meditate and pray to help me with finding my unique answers, no two people are alike.
If you feel anxious and unsure there is a time and place for  everything, and doctors can sometimes help.
Much love, xox