Thumping Sound in Ear

I've just started having this weird thumping sound in my ear.  Just to describe it...

(1) It is a muted sound, much like when you pop your ear to try to equalize the pressure, but not as loud.  

(2) It is irregular, as in it doesn't follow my hearbeat in any way... but it is happening 14-15 times every minute.

(3) It does have a feeling to it... as in, when you hear a noise, it doesn't feel like something physical is happening to you... this feels something like pressure being relieved from the ear...

Anyone have a clue?
I've had that, on occasion, for my entire life.  I don't know what it is, but I will say that in 34 years it has never harmed me or affected my hearing.  It's seemed so harmless that I've actually forgotten to ask ENT's about it when I have exams.  I've had full hearing/ear tests (for other reasons) and everything checks out perfect.

I consider it kind of an inner-ear twitch. Sometimes, it has happened for a few minutes directly with sounds, like each word of someone talking.
Mine has lasted a little over 12 hours now... did it tend to last that long, or was it for just a few minutes?  If it is indeed the same as what you have... and something that is recurring, but only temporary, that is a huge relief.
I honestly don't remember if I've had it for that long of a period of time because it's always been such an occasional "part of me" that I really haven't paid much attention.

I was also thinking that perhaps you have some lodged in earwax deep down inside.  I don't think a quick check into your ears by even a regular doctor to start with would hurt.
I have the same problem and have search the web. Here is what I have found. Your problem is do to a monoclonus ( a rhythmic contraction and relaxation of a muscle) of one of the small muscles attached to your middle ear bones OR caused by a monoclonus of the muscles of the soft palate. Some people have it so bad that the ent has to go into the middle ear and cut the small muscles. Go to an ent and see what he(she) says.
I have this same problem an its really getting on my nerves I see my GP on Fridaynot sure what it is.
Okay, mine is getting worse.  Used to come and go, now the thumping sound comes and stays for many hours.  Lately, when comes the thumping lasts longer each time.

Really drives me nuts.  At least when near my PC, can put on ear phones and turn volume of sound up.  Helps drown out thumping sound. Of course everything else is downed out as well.  So not a solution if want to work or have normal life stuff.

Doctor prescribe Butalbital, worked for a while, now doesn't work anymore.

Then tried Cyclobenzaphrine HCL, same thing worked for a while, now doesn't.

Now thumping goes on for many hours, then goes away, only to come back again.

Anomaly is now becoming a trend.  May end up having the muscles in the ear cut to stop the spasms.

Really becoming psychological barrier, really driving me nuts.

At least tinnitus is consistent buzzing sound, and is always "on," and I can cope with that.  The thumping is intermittent and I cannot cope with it, end up banging side of ear/head with palm, surely doesn't help anything, do so from frustration with this damnable ear ****.

J
i have the samo problem,,it started like a few times a day,now it go continues for a week,then stops for a few days,then its back again,it s like 6-8 thumping per second,the only whay to stop hearing it is put my hand hard on my ear,i t destroing my social life
i cant stand it is so rapid! it driving me insane literaly!
should i see a doctor to stop it if it dosent stop in the morning.
i have had this thumping in my ears for over 2 years now.  It is constant, 24 hours a day and keeps me up at night.  I have been to many doctors, the ENT, Cardioologist, GP and no one seems to know what is causing it.  I am at my wits ends.
I have the same problem.  It does not have any rhyme or reason to it.  I have put the problem together when my blood pressure is higher than normal.  When I am relaxed I do not seem to have the problem.  

I have played in rock bands for 20+ years so i am thinking this may have something to do with it also.  To the poster above, I would not recommend putting your headphones on and turning up the music.  headphones cause so many cases of hear loss each year.  There is no where for the frequencies to escape when your ears are covered up vs. listening to normal shelf, desktop or floor speakers.
Mine just started today it is verry irritating!!!!!!!!! god help us all
I just started having this thump in my right ear, especially when I walk or move certain ways I get a thump. Almost like someone is snapping a rubber band. I started getting ringing in both ears after taking a strong antibiotic several years ago. Of course the GP thought I was crazy when I explained what was going on.  So now I have ringing and now a thump in the right ear. What else!!  
Mine was very random and now its very often!!!!! Its so annoying, I'm going to get it checked out soon if it doesn't stop.
I have been having the thumping for about two years now.  The first time I went to the doctor she stated that I had fluid in my ears and it was probably related to my allergies.   The second time I went there was no fluid.   Tonight I was playing the piano and noticed something.  The thumping only happened when I played the lower notes.  The C note in particular seemed to cause the most thumping.  They higher notes did nothing.  I also notice that the the thumping happens more when I am in the tub with the fan going which causing a low whiring sound.  Seems to be related to different sound vibrations.
My 13 year old daughter has had earache for 6 days , very sore with constant banging. She is very distressed , crying on and of, no up and go. She has been on anti-biotics for 5 days and we seem to be getting no where. Has anyone got any suggestions?
I had the banging in my ear and sounded like my heartbeat. It used to come after exercise and swimming/showering. It became unbearable so i went to my GP, he said it was just a layer of mucus layering the eardrum and he couldn['t do anything for it. Apparently it should go after a few days but it didn't. If you get it, sudafed seems to stop it for the rest of the day
I had my first three sounds today.
I have had this thumping, also sounding just like a heartbeat, for about a year and only in my right ear.  I have thought that maybe it was related to the build up of wax and the constant use of a stethoscope at work which pushes the wax back into the ear canal.  However, the pulsation is only on one side and I can not pinpoint what exactly brings it on as it's totally random, with anywhere from one pulsation to five or six in a row.  The "monoclonus" explanation posted above sounds interesting, so I'll have to research it.
I've been noticing this for a while myself. I am sure it's been over a year.  It doesn't feel full. But, I can feel something in my ear. It feels to me like the hammers in the inner ear are pulsing. I often hear it during certain conversations. Often when I am listening to some kind of dialog from the computer. I haven't determined if it happens during certain pitches of sound. I've tried ear candling and I use q-tips and keep my ears clean and dry. I am not sure whether the ear candling has had any results.  I don't usually have much ear wax in general, just occasional flakes. It only happens on my left side. It's annoying, and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it. I do energy work, so, if I can discover any relief from this, I'll post it here. One of my metaphysical friends whom I've had consistent results with said that my "psychic channels were opening up" I know that may sound weird to some, but I am looking at all the options for relief! It is annoying and I am grateful that it doesn't happen constantly.

I've just started getting spasms of some kind in my left ear. They tend to come in 4s with the last being softer every minute or so. It's not so much a sound though, but a physical feeling, a bit like if you were to shake a duvet before laying it on the bed. Could this be stress or something, a bit like when you have an eyelid flutter?
well i just started this too about 3 days ago and wow theres a lot of other poeple who have it too.  its so wierd it comes in 3-5's, and it comes and goes.  started only a couple times the first day then maybe once an hour and now its like 10 times an hour i think.  and it sounds like a lot of you are going to the dr but no one is getting anywhere...kinda discouraging. to sum everyones answers up it could be from high blood pressure or stress...and it sounds like its here to stay.  That is unless i have  the muscle cut..yikes!! well im going to wait it out and see what happens if anyone wants to see how i am in the future feel free to email me at ***@**** or even for any other feedback at what might be causing this...thank you !!