Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Tinnitus and Sertraline

Hi guys. I signed up hoping for a little advice, as I'm a bit worried.

I lost hearing in my left ear ten years ago due to a virus, and have had constant tinnitus since. I quickly became accustomed to it, and until recently it hasn't bothered me at all except in dead silence.

However a couple weeks ago, I was prescribed Zoloft (Sertraline, 50mgs) for severe depression, and while it hasn't yet started to drastically improve my mood I'm able to function comfortably while taking it. Problem being, the side effects are starting to ramp up: primarily, it's severely affecting my tinnitus. What used to be just a faint ringing is now topped with an uncomfortable pulsating. My doctor knew about my hearing loss before prescribing me the drug, and I knew tinnitus was a possible, albeit allegedly uncommon side effect, but I didn't think it would be like this. Most especially, I'm worried about my good ear. Because of how distracting the tinnitus in my left ear is now, I can't tell if there's any coming from my right ear, and I don't want to just assume all is well and end up completely losing my hearing.

I see my doctor again in a few days for a follow-up and plan to bring this up. However my questions in the meantime are:
-should I stop taking the drug for now? The pulsating is blatantly caused by the drug (as I haven't done anything that would aggravate my ear since I first lost my hearing) and it's so uncomfortable that I can't tell if I'd rather have the mental breakdowns I had while off the drug instead. But I've both heard and read testimonies from others on Zoloft that the side effects go away with continued use, and I don't want to stop only to have to start at square one and live through this again.
-am I right to be worried about losing hearing in my good ear? Sources seem pretty split on whether Sertraline causes permanent hearing loss, and with the aggravated tinnitus in my bad ear, there's really no way for me to tell if my good one is affected or not until it's too late.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life