Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Tonsillectomy in 2 weeks. Is it too late to ask for adenoids out also?

Hello! I am 17 years old from Australia.

I'm having my tonsils removed on the 23rd of January. They are very big and I suffer from tonsillitis every so often.

My speech is also impaired due to the tonsils being so big, they have pushed my tongue forward giving me a muffled, nasally voice. I don't realise it when I speak, but people say I mumble. It is hard for people to understand me.

I believe when I get my tonsils removed my tongue will move back to where it is supposed to be, making my voice more clear (at the moment I can stick my tongue out further than normal) .

The main basis for getting my tonsils out is to fix my voice. I impaired to communicate with people because of my voice, and have given me a very low self-esteem :(

The question I am getting to is, will it be a good decision to get my adenoids removed also. I cough and spit phlegm very often. I can hardly every breathe through my nose. One side or the other is constantly blocked. I also think by opening the airways into my nose, that my voice can also become less nasally.

note: The blocked nose could possibly be due to my nose being unshapely bent to the right. I think I had broken it years ago and did not realise, leaving it broken causing it to stay bent.

Thank-you!
The doctor will only make more money if you request a full T & A,

So I imagine if you make a call and speak with him/her, they will probably concede to your request if they feel there is some justification for it.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life