Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Trouble breathing when laying down and falling asleep.

Hey guys. A few days ago, I felt like there was a small piece of hair stuck in my throat. But i was pretty sure that wasn't the case because i checked. It just felt like that.

A day later, i got sore throat and swollen tonsils. No fever, cold etc. There was a small white spot on my tonsil too. This is when I had difficulty breathing when laying down. I do snore normally, but this time I could physically feel that my soft palate narrows when i am inhaling and exhaling with my nose. It felt like its moving a little to compensate the airflow. When i am falling asleep, i just wake up immediately from lack of air and from the sensation on my soft palate moving. As of now, if i could tell you what my throat feels like now, it feels like there is an extra flap or 2 short hairs grown out back at the end of the soft palate. I am VERY positive that the obstruction happens at the soft palate.

However, if i stick my tongue out, i can breath normally, in fact it feels really good, as if i am getting enough oxygen for the first time.

I am "overweight" per se, but not the very high body fat kind, I am into fitness. I weigh 168 at 5'6. My body fat is around 17 - 18%. I am not allergic to anything that I know that i have taken or expose myself to lately. Supplements i take are fish oil, multivitamins, and creatine. Been taking these for a while. I did not eat anything unusual lately.

My throat is no longer sore, just that "hairy" feeling is still there. Tonsils are back to normal (i think). Breathing is uncomfortable unless i am upright.

I have not been sleeping well for a few nights because of this. In an hour i could wake up more than 20 times. Sometimes i just get lucky and get myself to fall asleep for a couple of hours.

What could be happening to me. Please help.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life