Ear, Nose & Throat Community

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

If you having ringing in your ears, you should be evaluated by a doctor or another health care professional. Treatment of tinnitus depends upon the cause.Examples of ways to treat the symptoms of the problem include:Medications (including antidepressants and antianxiety drugs)Decreasing emotional stress via stress management techniquesBiofeedbackHearing aidsCounselingWearable or tabletop sound generatorsAcoustic neural stimulationCochlear implantsOsteopathyPhysical therapyChiropracticSurgery (neurectomy or microvascular decompression)Bite implants for patients with TMJLifestyle changesIt is important to follow the doctor's directions in obtaining further evaluations and tests for your tinnitus. You may need an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat specialist (otolaryngologist) or an audiologist for further testing. It is important to follow up on these recommendations when they are made to confirm that your tinnitus is not caused by another illness.
I was in the military and worked on aircrafts. At the time, using hearing protection just seemed silly. Now, I regret it. I have had tinnitus for about five years now. When I first was introduced to it, I let it consume my life, losing sleep, having anxiety attacks, and becoming depressed over it. It was because it was all I thought about for months on end. I will say this, thinking about it and dwelling on it does in some strange way seem to intensify it. After my first encounter, I struggled to cope with it. Then, one day, I came across an article where the author provided helpful tips to live with tinnitus. He said, "If you're concerned with the volume of your tinnitus, then try a simple test. Go to your bathroom or kitchen and turn on the faucet. If when the water is running you can't hear the ringing, your condition is weak in regard to someone who experiences dangerous volumes of tinnitus." So I tried it. Much to my amazement, the water masked the ringing. That was my "light at the end of the tunnel." I knew then that it wasn't something that would control my life. After that, it only got easier for me to live with it. And much to my surprise, for years after that, I noticed my self-awareness of it was minimal. I only heard it if I stopped and "listened" for it, and even then, sometimes I did not hear anything. But four years later, I have picked it back up and find myself lost in its trance. I'll get past this again because it's what we victims of tinnitus have to do to live. If you're new to the condition and find yourself lost, try the water test to see if it works for you. The water test won't cure your tinnitus, but it might just be what you need to get past the shock and learn to live with it.
I had an attack of vertigo 6-8 months ago, the doctor prescribed me some medicine, the room was spinning, I felt sick it was terrible, the high pitched noise in my ears has got worse in the last few weeks, in the day I don't notice the noise because of the radio, TV set, and everyday noises mask it, but at night when its quiet that's the worst, it does not keep me awake at the moment I sleep OK, listening to the birds singing in the morning, and the wind, is peaceful, I eat as much fresh veggies and fruit as I can, I don't smoke, I drink a glass of Perry occasionally.
Hi to you all! My first experience of tinnitus was over 5 years ago, when I awoke one morning to what I thought was the alarm going off in my right ear. I was struggling to find the Ôoff' switch when I realized that this noise was in my head. It was a very scary moment and the start of a journey. After many sleepless nights, dreading going to bed and fruitless trips to the hospital, doctors only told me that I did have hearing loss in my right ear due to working my whole life working in an extremely noisy environment. Then they tell me there was nothing they could do about the tinnitus apart from masking the noise or drugs to help me relax. BUT! I feel once you accept that it is not going to be cured you can move forward. I tried everything at the beginning and was avidly reading of herbal drugs which reduced noise all to no avail and every time I became more depressed. I then made a conscious decision to accept that I cannot cure this and must adapt and live with it. I feel that once you make that decision you will feel better. I do not let tinnitus get in the way and I now do not think about it. I do hope my short story  will help you there is a light at the end of the tunnel best wishes to you all    -Rob
I'm in advanced age, but have had a loss of hearing in one ear. Nevertheless, I encounter up to five sounds in both ears, and I have had this for 30 years. During the day it usually does not bother me, but at night it sometime wakes me. What makes it worse?  Aspirin and caffeine seem to enhance the noises, therefore I avoid aspirin and watch caffeine in soda....also, I try to eliminate salt. Good luck to all.
Other readers are right: When you come to terms with tinnitus and accept it, life becomes better. An ear specialist advised me to accept it as a fried that will never leave you. I found in the early stages of it, to help me sleep at night, I purchased a CD of running water and heavy rain. I put head phones under my pillow and this seemed to help as the noise of the rain masked the hissing in my ear and helped me sleep.
I, too, am in the military.  I am a fighter pilot.  I use hearing protection 99% of the time.  On one occasion, I jumped in the back of a pickup on top of a pile of equipment to catch a ride out to the jet.  On the way, we passed by a flight of F-16's on the ramp with engines running.  I had to hold on to the truck rails to keep from falling out.  I was exposed to severe noise and developed tinnitus from it. A few months later, my flight doc recommended I take 200mg of Ibuprofen every morning and night for constant neck and back pain.  I've done so for 10 years.  My tinnitus disappeared in the mean time. Last week, another flight doc told me to stop the Ibuprofen to avoid harm to the lining of my stomach.  He told me to take a small aspirin everyday due to my age to avoid heart issues.  I complied that evening, and my tinnitus came roaring back that night. I only took one tiny aspirin, so high dose is not the cause.  I have stopped the aspirin, and have begun to take ibuprofen again.  It took a couple of days to figure it out, and a few more to decide how to proceed.  I tried going without either for a few days.  I've been on ibuprofen for 3 days now - still have tinnitus.  Hopefully, it'll go away in a few weeks.
Am 66 years young, and have had, what I now know as tinnitus, "all my life". I have never known a day without it, in both ears. It's constant, continual, noise. It was only a few years ago that I even found out that this was not normal. All those years, I just thought everyone had these noises, and that it was perfectly normal. Now that I have become aware of tinnitus, and have come to learn more about it, I've been able to accept it, as well as my family and friends. And come to find out, some of my friends have it also, but to a lesser degree. I've never meet anyone, yet, that has it to the degree that I do, or has had it all their life like I have.  But I'm sure that there are lots of folks who are just like me out there. I agree with those who listen so soft, restful, sounds at night. It does help. But, the most annoying part of all this is that the level of noise, and more importantly, the "pitch" of the noise, will cancel out certain sounds, or syllables, when someone is talking. This can be very annoying, and frustrating, at times, because I will need to ask them to repeat themselves to make sure I have heard correctly. My hearing has been tested, and is fine. But sometimes people think my hearing is bad when, right in the middle of a key phrase, their voice level, and pitch, causes me to miss a key part. Likewise, when listening to music, a "Low G" is hard for me to distinguish, and a "High G" almost disappears completely, being that my ear noise seems to be at that same "G" level. Interesting! Well, I've rambled on long enough. Just wanted to share it. Thanks for your attention.
I just turned 50, and for some reason my body decided to give me tinnitus as a birthday present.  I woke up last Wednesday and there it was - a constant high-pitched whine in my head that hasn't left since.  I saw the doctor yesterday, and he flushed my ears out to remove a lot of wax.  That did reduce the volume significantly, and I thought that would be it and left the doctor's office a happy man.  But then last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with that whine at full volume again.  Very frustrating -- I'm still in the stage where I have not accepted this, and hoping that I will not have to live with it for the rest of my life.  One positive sign -- I did do the "faucet test" and it did mask the tinnitus; so I recognize that things could be much worse.  I'm going back to the doctor later this week, just to see if they can figure out any cause, as this came on very suddenly.  Thanks for the info on this site.
Thank you for clear, useful information including the diagram of the ear. I am a tinnitus sufferer and in the older group. I believe that I may now be feeling the effects of an active life as a keen swimmer and lover of the sea. Water in the ears and itchy ear drums were common place for me. Just a tip: (Which I should have heeded for my own benefit); use clean earplugs when swimming in public pools. Don't try to clean your ears out with cotton buds, etc.
I've had tinnitus for about three years. I woke up one day and I thought I was losing my mind. I went to the doctor and he checked my ears, my heart and the pressure in my neck just to make sure it wasn't anything serious. My doctor indicated that there isn't really a known cause or cure. As long as I'm listening to music, the TV, or talking to people, I don't really notice the noise. Once it gets quiet, the annoying noise begins.
I am retired from law enforcement and early on went to the firing range without ear protection and have ridden a Harley for years. I guess this must be the cause that came on one month ago and although on occasion have no sound for about an hour, it is there all the time.  Ibuprofen does help at night. I tried Lypo-flaviniod Plus which helped at first but they tell you to take it for several months (profit for them I guess). If the doctors do not know what causes it how can they treat it or try and treat it? It is the leading cause for disability from the military now, so you would think someone would be working on a cure.
I was doing some yard work today and spent about 45 minutes with a leaf blower. It was loud enough that I initially thought it might be wise to get some earplugs. But I ignored the impression to do so. Now I'm having a high-pitched noise in my ears and it has been over eight hours since I finished with the blower. My question is for anyone who has noticed similar symptoms that have gone for several hours. Normally my hearing is extremely good. I have on many occasions used a blower before as well as a hedge-trimmer and lawn mower and have found the high-pitched sound has lasted for maybe half an hour after I have come back in the house. So this is unusual for me.
I'm in my middle 60's. I never had a problem with my hearing until January 2010.  I had severe viral infections.  I originally got sick in November but it laid dormant until after Christmas when it reared its ugly head and put me in bed for 2 weeks.  I am an asthmatic; I was given antibiotics, which didn't help.  I was then given medpac steroids which worked, and helped me breathe.  That was when the Tinnitus started.  My doctor felt the viral infection settled in the nerve endings, and to give it time to heal.  Well, it's May, and it's still with me.  An audiologist testing results showed I have great hearing.  I still want to go to an Ear Nose and Throat MD just in case my Primary missed something.
I found this to be very informative, although disappointing. Apparently I will have to live with this condition with very little hope for relief. I may try Ginko-Biloba. I advise any military person, or persons involved in business related to noise to use ear protection. My years in a Navy engine room may have caused my problem.
Acupuncture is the best way as there are many successful cases proved that new tinnitus patients recovered after acupuncture for a short period of treatment. No medicine is required.
I have noticed in March of 2010 that I have ringing noise and pressure in my right ear.  As I just arrived from vacation I went to doctor to check it out for infection, etc. but nothing was found.  I was sent for ear tests - everything was great and it seemed to be ok, until couple weeks ago when I went to bed and could not fall asleep due to the dull intermitent squeeky noise that did not seem to go away.  I thought it was a train, which is couple miles away from me, but I live in the same place for past 25 years and never heard the train.  Yesterday, I was in my son's place and heard the same noise, so I told him about it.  He said that he was watching TV program where William Shatner complained about the same thing and printed the information for me.  It is hard to accept this condition and I shall investigate other venues and accupuncture is next on my list.  I shall be back with my results.  I have not worked in noisy environment, hardly ever took antibiotics nor any pain killers.
I'm 24 years old; I've had Tinnitus since I was 12. I hear noise on the right ear (sounds like air escaping) I have seen 20 doctors and they  have all told me that there are no problems with my ears and it's not caused by illness or whatsoever and have not recommended any medication or techniques to reduce the noise that I'm experiencing. This is a nightmare for me I really miss a quite sleep at night. The noise would strangely stop when I actually put pressure on the vein of my neck using my fingers. I really pray to God that this noise stops one day as I still have hope even after 12 years.
I am 44 years female which had always been deaf in one ear went through 12 years of normal school without any hearing aid was in school swim team and college diving then after a domestic flight from Pretoria to Cape Town, I woke up to experience total deafness! This was seriously scary! Went to several doctors which didn't know what to do with me and at the end a homeopath, which was the only person that after 6 months had me hearing without a hearing aid! Shortly after the major loss of hearing I started having the noise in my ear like someone hitting a pipe on metal. This noise drove me ballistic in the beginning I was told there is no cure at all! I agree that if you don't concentrate on it its easier with lots of stress it increases too! I firmly believe that caffeine and colorants in cold drinks affects it also badly! I still have it and am no once again searching something to decrease this as its terrible with only one hearing aid and coping with the noise!!
I have had tinnitus for about 45 years. I have been to several doctors and have been told there is no cure. I once went to this old doctor he ran a tube through my nose and some way behind my ear canal and would blow them out. This would give me relief for a while, but he died and that was the end of that. I then asked another doctor to do this and he thought I was crazy said that there was no way he would do this because it was dangerous.
I have had Tinnitus in my left ear for over 30 years.  I was diagnosed with Meneres as well. It has come and gone over the years, generally associated with a degree of stress. The vertigo has been very limited but when it hits, wow!  For over a year now, the ringing has been constant and never ending.  I am currently working with an ENT Specialist.  My hearing is 2/3 gone in the left ear.  We have ruled out any physical abnormalities and have tried diuretics, decongestants, and prednisone.  No relief.   The prednisone did, for a short time reduce the ringing.   I am searching for anything that will help stop the ringing.
I haven't been to a doctor yet, but the research I have done points to Tinnitus. I was a bartender at a club for 9 years and I am definitely hearing impaired from that. I constantly feel like I need to shake water out of my ears. There is a throbbing every few minutes that sounds similar to my neighbors' base. It also makes me feel a bit dizzy.
I have been living with tinnitus for over 30 years. While I've learned to live with it, it sure would be nice to have some relief.  When I have mentioned it to the family doctor, she responds like it is no big deal. I just wish everyone could experience about three days straight of this problem.  It would give the world a whole new perspective on how some of us must live.
My motorcycle accident resulted in a fracture of C2 vertebrae in neck due to a hard blow to the head wearing a helmet...I have this lingering high pitched squeal in both ears. The sound varies in volume but is always apparent. The suggested Tinnitus treatments have had no effect whatsoever...
Hi all I am on the verge of going insane due to this incessant ringing in my ears, I have had my right ear ringing for over 30 years now and my left for the last 6 years. I am 59 now and really don't know how much longer I can put up with it, I have tried lots of things but nothing helps.
2
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life