Ear, Nose & Throat Community

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

Tinnitus is not a disease in itself but rather a reflection of something else going on in the hearing system or brain.Hearing loss: Probably the most common cause for tinnitus is hearing loss. As we age, or because of trauma to the ear (through noise, drugs, or chemicals), the portion of the ear that allows us to hear, the cochlea, becomes damaged. Current theories suggest that because the cochlea is no longer sending the normal signals to the brain, the brain becomes confused and essentially develops its own noise to make up for the lack of normal sound signals. This then is interpreted as a sound, tinnitus. This tinnitus can be made worse by anything that makes our hearing worse, such as ear infections or excess wax in the ear.Trauma: If tinnitus is caused by trauma to the ear it usually is noticed in both ears, because both ears generally are exposed to the same noises, drugs, and other influences.Exposure to loud noise: Loud noise exposure is a very common cause of tinnitus today, and it often damages hearing as well. Unfortunately, many people are unconcerned about the harmful effects of excessively loud noise from firearms, high intensity music, or other sources. Twenty-six million American adults have suffered noise-induced hearing loss, according to the NIDCD.Medications: Drugs such as aspirin (if overused), aminoglycoside antibiotics (a powerful form of infection-fighting drug), and quinine. More than 200 different drugs are known to have tinnitus as a side effect.Meniere's disease: Symptoms include dizziness, tinnitus, and fullness in the ear or hearing loss that can last for hours, but then goes away. This disease is actually caused by a problem in the ear itself. The tinnitus is merely a symptom.Acoustic neuroma: This is a rare subjective cause of tinnitus, and includes a certain type of brain tumor known as an acoustic neuroma. The tumors grow on the nerve that supplies hearing and can cause tinnitus. This type of the condition usually are only noticed in one ear, unlike the more common sort caused by hearing loss usually seen in both ears. Causes of objective tinnitus are usually easier to find.Pulsatile tinnitus: This problem usually is related to blood flow, either through normal or abnormal blood vessels near the ear. Causes of pulsatile tinnitus include pregnancy, anemia (lack of blood cells), overactive thyroid, or tumors involving blood vessels near the ear. Pulsatile tinnitus also can be caused by a condition known as benign intracranial hypertension (an increase in the pressure of the fluid surrounding the brain).Clicking types of objective tinnitus can be caused by TMJ misalignment problems, or "twitching" of muscles of the ear or throat.
Since having surgery for nasal polyps a year ago, I have suffered with blocked ears and a constant ringing which I have been told is tinnitus.
I am coping with my tinnitus with noise.  It is the most bothersome when it is quiet -- and when I am trying to go to sleep at night...so I leave TV on to fall asleep.  I think I had this as a kid and didn't really think there was a name for it. I just remember the sound which is back now that I am in my forties.
I'm hearing a humming sound, like machinery in the distance but only at home.  Is this tinnitus? I've unplugged everything and I still hear it, it gets worse at night .  I use earplugs but can still feel it.
On a European flight September 2010, someone behind me was coughing and sneezing without covering his nose or mouth.  Within a day of the flight I contracted a very sore throat.., followed a day later by bad earache..., firstly in my right ear, then my left..., over a 24 hour period. I was traveling so could only get assistance from a pharmacy, but eventually on getting home went straight to my Dr who prescrbed a very strong antibiotic.  Throat cleared-up in 4/5 days, and earache about a week later, but I am left with constant noise in both ears.  Sounds like high pressure steam escaping from a valve. I have seen two 'specialists' in different European countries..., both have advised that there is nothing that can be done.  Hearing test shows right ear is 20% and left ear 10% below normal hearing levels i.e. deafness.  I spent 32 years in the military operating on or near the flight line i.e. close proximity to transport and fighter aircraft, so I am used to taking precautions where loud or damaging noise is evident and have never had any hearing issues until this episode on the flight.  My next course of action is to locate and try white noise' generators.    Does anyone have experience of 'white noise' generators?  I would be very interested in reading of your experiences.    Many thanks
I think i have tinnitus shooting my firearm with out ear protection.I went to a ear doctor who charged me a hunk of money.Did not even tell me what I had. He was trying to sell hearing aids. All he said was nothing can be done. Learn to live with it.If he should get it I wonder if he would take it so lightly.
Can constant large explosions cause loss of hearing and tinnitis later in life after years of being exposed to the noise
I've had tinnitus since 3 months now. It is a nonstop sound similar to high volt electricity in a wire. I have done many tests including audiometry, tympanogram, CT brain and MRI brain and all are within normal. I have noticed it increases early in morning or when I lay down my head. I am not sure if it is related to my hobby of swimming.
Childhood head injury caused hearing loss in both ears.  Due to the various symptoms of Tinnitus (lack of focus/concentration, dizziness etc). I have had to stop working.  The loud sounds have caused vertigo and have brought me to tears. I am taking medication for the vertigo and am told it should eventually help the tinnitus.  I am striving to be more mindful of my activities and what I eat etc.  I think about people who are dealing with worse and resolve that I can strive to deal with this until I am healed.
i have a heartbeat noise in my right ear 4 2 years now it really is getting me down
Was given an antidepressant for chronic pain as well as an imflammatory.Developed after one week of taking medicine.
I have had severe tinnitus for 13 months. I think it is from a car incident causing whiplash. No dr. has help yet and I've gone to 15 specialist. Everything was ruled out except trigger points in my shoulders.  Had lidociane injections and tinnitus left for 1 hour.  Somedays are so bad, nothing covers the sreeching, nothing. Mine is worse when I use my arms for any reason. Driving, housework, lifting, pushing pulling, etc. Wish with all my heart it was gone.
My tinnitus was the result of whiplash in a car accident. Never had any problems before, but now it drives me crazy and I get dizzy or light headed.
WAS IT PEROXIDE?  Mine in the R. ear only (buzzing) occurred shortly after putting full strength hydrogen peroxide in that ear to remove ear wax.  It didn't work and I went to an ENT who removed the wax and a bug but didn't seem concerned with the Tinnitus.  I first assumed it was my eustacian tube since it generally followed a yawn or opening my jaw widely.  I had experienced difficulty equalizing when descending SCUBA diving.
I've been bothered by a noise in my left ear for 3 weeks now.  It's similar to that of being plugged or being affected by elavation.  However, the easy fix of just plugging your nose and blowing does NOT work nor does chewing gum or yawning and the morning is the worst.  At times it feels as though my balance is affected but it just makes me feel stupid or not quite with it. I'm not certain, but I think I had a slightly sore throat just before it came on.
due to chronic otitis media from my childhood and tinitus from last 8month.whenever get the water in my ear or cold wind.request to tell me advisable treatment for it.either medicational or surgical
Woke up and something akin to static or feedback was going on in my left ear. It ceased after 2 - 3 hours.
I fainted and fell on my back hitting my head on the concrete and causing a cut on the middle of my lower head.  It has never healed properly and I have ringing in my ears, can't sleep well, have bloating in bowels, eyes are always tired but the eye doctor says they are very healthy.  Are some or all of the symptons related in any way to inner ear problems or tinnitus?  Thank you for any help you can give me, my doctor appointment is over a week away still although I have been waiting several weeks now.    Joy
I fainted and fell on my back hitting my head on the concrete and causing a cut on the middle of my lower head.  It has never healed properly and I have ringing in my ears, can't sleep well, have bloating in bowels, eyes are always tired but the eye doctor says they are very healthy.  Thank you for any help you can give me, my doctor appointment is over a week away still although I have been waiting several weeks now.
Mine started with a car accident when I was rear ended by a truck. I was diagnosed with a whip lash and concussion. The loud noise in my ear was a very high pitch, high frequency squealing mixed in a mass of static.
Had a  accident  it left me with TINNITUS  Can you help  07986568183
I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT CAUSED THIS TINNITUS. ANTIBIOTICS EZPACK, NEIL MED SPRAY PREDNISONE. TMJ I NEED HELP AND DOCTORS WONT LOOK INTO IT...
I was serving in Afghanistan by a actice airfield and was under constant rocket fire from the taliban, so very often explosions and combat aircraft close to ground fly bys.
My tinnitus was caused by descending on an airline flight from 12,000 ASL to Sea Level with a plugged Eustachian tube from a common cold.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life