Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Window in eardrum

I had grommets as a young child from glue ear and now only have a small amount of hearing loss (mostly the very low tones and some very high).
Recently I started getting persistent ear infections again which took 3 weeks worth of antibiotics to clear.
Then the doctor said I had a large perforation in my right ear so referred me to an ear nose and throat specialist to get it sewn up. Anyway when I got there he said it wasn't a perforation at all but a very very thin part of my ear drum (like a window)  probably from having grommets and my gp couldn't tell without his microscope which is more powerful.
Anyway my question is why do my ears hurt, particularly where the large window in my ear drum is? The ENT couldn't tell me just said to take pain killers!
Has no one else had this?
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life