constant tightness in front of neck/throat HELP!!!!!

hi there  just joined forum.

I have had this tightness feeling in my throat for over 6 months now.  it is very annoying and feels like someone is trying to strangle me!!!!  i did have neck pain for over 2 years but that has  subsided alot now.  has anyone else experienced this constant feeling or any suggestions to what it could be?  it does disappear when i lie down but reappears within a few minutes of standing.

i do check my posture every day as someone said it could be muscle tension in the front of the neck.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

deb
I TOO HAVE BEEN HAVING JEW, TEETH, EAR, RINGING IN THE OTHER EAR, GULPING WHEN I SWALLOW, AND THE FEELING OF TIGHTNESS ACROSS MY THROAT LIKE SOMEONE IS APPLYING PRESSURE AROUND IT.  
I THOUGHT I HAD AN INFECTED TOOTH AS I HAVE A CRACKED LOWER BACK MOLAR. (HAVE DENTAL APPOINTMENT FOR THAT BUT THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT GET ME IN SOONER THEN JUNE 16TH, 2012. AND THAT I SHOULD GO TO THE ER.)
I HAD BEEN TO AN ENT WHO SAID EVERYTHING LOOKED GOOD. (HARD TO BELIEVE WITH MY EAR HURTING SO BAD.) HE WAS TRYING TO GET ME APPROVAL FOR A CT WITH CONTRAST, MY NECK IS SWOLLEN.
MY PT TOLD ME TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL ALSO, HE SAID HE COULD NOT DO ANYTHING WITH MY NECK TILL IT WAS BETTER.
I HAVE HAD MY RIGHT SHOULDER RECONSTRUCTED TWICE, THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME BILATERALLY, (BOTH 1ST RIB'S REMOVED, AND CEDERS HOSPITAL IN L.A., AND TO MAKE IT WORSE THEY GAVE ME MRSA AT THE DRAINAGE TUB SITE). A 3 LEVEL SPINAL FUSION C4 - C7, 3 TITANIUM PLATES PUT IN.
I HAVE HAD A BREAKOUT FROM THE MRSA, THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THAT FOR ONE THING MRSA IS A TRANSFER STAPH, IT IS NOT AIR BORN, AND ONCE YOU GET IT YOU HAVE IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.
SO WITH ALL OF THIS I DECIDED TO GO TO THE ER, THINKING IF IT IS FROM THE TOOTH I MAY HAVE AN INFECTION IT THE BONE, AND MAYBE THE MRSA IS AFFECTING THIS.
WELL THEY DID A CT OF MY NECK, IT SHOWED NO INFECTION, NO SWOLLEN GLANDS, MY SPINAL FUSHUN LOOKED OK. HOWEVER THE CT DID SHOW AN ASYMMERTIC ENLARGEMENT OF THE RIGHT STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID MUSCLE. ALSO DIMINUTIVE LEFT VERTEBRAL ARTERY. AND THEY TOLD ME TO STOP PT FOR NOW, AND GAVE ME VALIUM FOR THE INFLAMMATION.
IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SYMPTOMS  I DESCRIBED ABOVE YOU MIGHT WANT TO HAVE A CT OF YOUR NECK.
I HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL TO YOU. I AM ATTACHING A LINK ABOUT THIS AREA OF MUSCLE.
LOVE IN JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternocleidomastoid_muscle  
Just reading your comment!! Tried going 2sleep but for the 1st time in my life experienced like wat I would call a choking experience, my voice is also hoarse! I've suffered with anxiety and panic attacks in the past but this seems 2b totally different! X
I've told my GP about the tightness in the front muscles of the neck and was given an ultra sound of the thyroid as well the an MRI.  Two nodules on both thyroid sides were discovered.  Now I have been monitored since February of this year.  Nodules are still the same size and will have to go again in October for another ultra sound.  In the meantime, the surgeon who is monitoring the nodules told me that I had a clear case of "Tortocallis".  

Has anyone else had this diagnosis
It is absolutely ANXIETY!  The best way to be for sure is to take a Xanax or Lorazepam and if it goes away you have anxiety.  I have it and it totally *****!  Mine comes in the exact form that you decsribed.
Benzodiazepines are used for dystonia too
I have been having the same issues for over nine months.  So three months ago I found out i had and enlagared thyroid and had that removed. Also was told I had astamah and anexity.  Now for the last month the neck tightness has came back along with vision and echoing when i talk.  To matters worst i have tightness on the right side of my chest.
The strangelig feeling may be air trapped in swallow. Yes, sounds idiotic, but I have had this terrible feeling for one year, and it escalated to invalidating pain after a half year. By 13 month I found that using a neti-pot, took away the pain for a while.

Reason: my eustachian tubes are somehow too tight. You write you spitted blood. Could that be nose bleeding? If so, maybe the blood are clogging your openings to- or got inside your eustachian tubes while doing Vasalvas manoevre or something.

The logic is like this: While swallowing salliva, a lot of air is in the mouth. My theory is that, with perfect functioning eustachian tubes, excessive air goes to the tubes and middle-ear becaus your soft palate rise and opens the way to the eustachian tubes.

If the tubes are closed, in some matter, the excessive air goes down in your "pharynx" (swallowing tube), the autonomic swallowing reflex "misunderstand" whats in it and push tight, trying to move what should be food, further down and into your stomach.

BUT, what happens, is that the air doesn't go down, it goes up, and the muscles starts fighting trying to get it down.

The strangelig feeling, is the upper sphincter of your stomach closes harder and harder. And that makes the strangelig feeling.

It's just a theory, because it has made sense to me.

If it relieves your pain using av neti-pot, I'd love to hear it from you on this thread. (I add it to my "watch list").

I wish you days without suffering - that's the most basic, important thing in life.
Much the same story as I (psychiatrist, CT, MR, videofluoroscope). Nothing wrong to see. No medics or "talk" helps.

Read my comment just made on this thread (august 8th, 2012). It seems we have quit like problems.
To everyone mystified by what might be wrong with them, please research: LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX  (LPR)

For 9 months, I had all the same symptoms everyone here was talking about: choking feeling, difficulty swallowing, the "globus" feeling of something being "stuck" in the throat (swollen epiglottis flap), asthma-like wheezing in the throat, hoarse voice, etc. I finally convinced a G.I. doctor to scope down my throat, and it turned out to be Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). Basically, my epiglottis, larynx, and vocal cords were dramatically swollen from acid reflux (and food allergies, too, I later learned). I took two Prilosec a day, in morning and night, for a month and am almost back to normal now. For a more hardcore treatment, the prescription PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) Dexilant has worked for more stubborn cases, according to my doctor (but I had to stop the Dexilant because of side effects).

I hope this helps!
i have been having the same problem and i have a goiter but its lower than that so i am going to get a light down my throat to see what is going on cause its its annoying so its happening to me alsl
I have had a similar problem for about 2 years.  It started very suddenly.  My throat feels very tight and my chest feels heavy.  The worst part is that it hurts to speak.  It gets to the point where i will go days without saying anything.

I have been to an ENT, has 2 rounds of voice therapy, had a laryngoscopy, and some procedure where there puffed up my vocal cords with some material so that they would vibrate better.  None of it helped.

Now im going to a GI to get an endoscopy done.  They are also going to monitor my acid levels for a few days.  If they find anything I will let you know.

If they dont find anything, life *****...
I have exact background as you and am finally going to a gi. They think mine started with a virus that attacked vocal cords about 2 years ago, and that all the prednisone they gave me caused acid reflux and mucus around my cords.
They tried botoxing the cords that didn't help, but it ruled out spasmodic dysphonia.........so now finally going to the GI..have been taking Prilosec like you, but doesn't seem to help. I wish I had gone to GI sooner....I think there is a surgery that can be preformed if acid reflux is confirmed by gi, that blocks acid from coming to throat. I feel like I am constantly being strangled, and it is often uncomfortable to talk.....please keep me informed, and I will keep you informed......curious what doctors you have gone to if you live in Los Angeles.
I went to a GI and they gave me this Bravo meter.  They insterted this transmitter in my esophogus and it read my PH for 2 days.  Then it was finished, they told me that I had acid reflux and that I needed to take 40 mg Prilosec twice a day for several months (the OTC version is 20 mg).  I have only been on it for like 2 weeks now and I am not sure if it is helping or not, but I guess it wouldnt be realistic to expect a big change already.  I have had throat problems for 2 years, so a few weeks without acid isnt going to heal it.

I hope your problems get better.  If anything changes I will let to you know!
I have this throat feeling, also my neck feels funny. I have an anti-anxiety medication called klonopin that I take just 1/4 of maybe once a month or less when I am feeling really anxious or really tightened up. It helps SOOO much. I recommend asking your doctor if you can take this, as I've found that most of my weird symptoms (which usually are numbness or tingling in weird spots like my nose or my cheek) along with the spinning head syndrome, as I call it, feel so much more normal when I take this medication. So, I assume most of these issues are related to anxiety, even if there is nothing that I'm necessarily anxious about (that I know of). I hope you all feel better. It ***** to have these strange symptoms!!
Dr Choi, I would be so grateful if you could answer my question. Could a ceramic dental implant being causing me these symptoms? I also just got over shingles. God has healed me before, and I am waiting on him again. I just wanted to know if I should have this implant removed?, and would that bring on it's own new set of problems?. thank you so much.
I feel something really irritating in my throat and while wearing a scarf I feel like the scarf is causing the tightness but thats not the case.
I have difficulty in talking from sometime as well.I have had this problem for around 3 weeks or so and together with that slight problem while swallowing(like something is pulling and not letting me eat so well).Four doctors confirmed it is nothing but I still feel irritated and cry really often.I am only 12 years old and the doctors think I its just anxiety(which I partly agree on because I have been really stressed concerning this matter lately)...I am really worried!
I have also been going through constant pain in my neck tightness on and off..more so through out the day. It has been about one year now, very frustrating and scary. I have home to ny primary Dr..Ent Dr.. they said nothing is wrong.. but its a annoying pain that I can't deal with any longer.. please let me know if there is hope to this.. tightness both sides chocking ughhhh! :(
By reading all of your comments I have gained much reassurance in knowing that I am not alone with my symptoms... and not CRAZY! Although my symptoms (tightness in throat, general malaise, etc.) only started a week ago, the strangling feeling is VERY ANNOYING. I am thankful to everyone for the tips and advice. I now have some information to research. I still might contact my doctor to rule out any serious health concerns. But, now I don't feel so foolish telling my doctor "it feels like someone is strangling me!" You are all in my prayers for relief of your symptoms. And, I will continue to watch this forum for additional information and updates.
Hello everyone, I'm in the UK and I a suffering from these symptoms too and have been for almost 4 weeks. I am at my wits end and feel like I'm going out of my mind!!! I just constantly feel like I'm being strangled or that I have a lump in my throat, and it is the worst feeling in the world. It hurts to swallow saliva, but eating and drinking is ok. I've tried so many things - gargling with saltwater,and mouthwash, drinking lemon and honey and sucking on strepsils but nothing works. I've been much more stressed before than I have been for the last few weeks. I wasn't particularly anxious but now this thing is making me very anxious. Things that wouldn't normally bother me are really irritating me and my heart is beating really fast. I feel dizzy, and I've broken down in tears a few times because I just can't handle this feeling. I'm awaiting results back from blood tests to check my thyroid, but I'm pretty sure it won't show anything. From the sounds of it it seems likely to either be globus pharyngus or acid reflux. I've read every comment on here but no-one seems to have said anything that can help?? Please please help someone, I just can't take it any more. I dread to think that it could last months, even years :'(    
i have had this too tho just recently.feels like I am being strangled and cannot bear anything around my neck.i usually wear roll neck jumpers

I think my neck is swollen and when I see my dr next I will ask him about thyroid glands which he has checked on in the past btu not sure if he I s still.
It's interesting to read about all your posts in connection with the strange throat tightness. I have this feeling too and at the same time my belly get stiff like a ball. I notice that this feeling comes often after being exposed to cold temperature irrespective whether it is AC or cold weather. I am not certain but I think that all this has something to do with allergies and in my case I doubt it is about dust mites allergy. The huge pressure in the belly may also lead to an hernia. I would be grateful to read your reactions and any similar experiences along with any solution if any. Take care.
I started feeling the tightening my throat about a month ago. I thought I had some savvier but now after reading. I'm going to go get checked.
I started having an odd sensation in the front of my neck a few weeks ago.  It started out happening a couple of times a day for a minute or two and has increased over time.  I just had my thyroid checked and it was fine so I was at a loss for the cause.  Last night was the worst it had been.  I was sitting up in bed and it was really uncomfortable.  My breathing and swallowing was not hampered and it is more of a pressure than a pain but it was starting to concern me.  I notice though that when I laid down it seemed to subside.  I saw the comment from ezmam about sternocledomastoid trigger points today while sitting at my desk.  I immediately squeezed those pressure points and the sensation went away.  I even felt a little pop in the sinus cavity near my ear. It appears that my issue is just muscle tension.  Thank you all for all your comments.  They really helped me to narrow down my particular problem.
Dear Paul

Please consult a homeopathic Doctor It will  help I think it is due to panic attacks and some depression

You May also Have the fullness of stomach gas which might not come out from above or bottom Treat with homeopathic pills It will be  comfort very soon
please email me your reoprt  on ***@****
after you are better  GOD BLESS YOU
Hello Nichola. I know this is years after your post, but i have been feelign exactly the same as what you wrote, to the extent that reading your post made me feel that I was reading my own thoughts.

I wantedto ask you what happened? did the feelign eventally go? was it (god forbid) somethign serious? because I am freaking out, and everyone an=round me thinks its in my head. because dr's couldnt find anything .. and NO-ONE believes the doscomfort im feeling.

I would really appreciate hearing back from you.
I have the tightness in my throat/neck also and am also 40. I've had it for close to 5 years. It doesn't go away. I do have GERD, acid reflux and esophageal spasms which may contribute and a very tight sternocleidomastoid on the right. It's very uncomfortable when I stand or walk, especially when I walk and it gets worse the farther I walk. The pressure/tightness and sometimes throat pain is pretty harsh. I notice bad posture related to staring down at a computer or phone also makes it worse.
I'll pray for you all and will look in to the possible explanations mentioned here. Thanks.
God bless.
I suffered from this same tightness across my chest & throat for months this year (2014). I couldn't wear necklaces or any top that touched my chest or neck--v-neck only. I WAS MISERABLE FOR MONTHS. I thought my thyroid was the problem, or worse.

I researched this extensively and yes, found that there could be issues with the sternocleidomastoid muscle. I've been through physical therapy before and so has my husband. We were talking about posture and it's impact on our necks and he noted that he always sees me slouch. As we progressed in our understanding more, I decided to try something.

I STOPPED USING MY PILLOW TO SLEEP. INSTEAD, I USED A NECK ROLL. IN 3 DAYS THE TIGHTNESS WAS SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED! I have used a neckroll for the past 6 weeks and the PAIN IS COMPLETELY GONE!

I started with a simple neckroll. I rolled a towel and slept on that. It was roughly 3 inches in diameter. I didn't sleep well at first, but I knew it was working. I moved to a small neck pillow which worked fine. I would recommend a CERVICAL SLEEP PILLOW. Many options are available and you should be able to buy a good one for less than $20 USD.

As you would expect, my body was adjusting as I slept. Therefore, I noticed increased tightness in my back, in the lumbar region and shoulder on the left side of my body. As the muscles in the front were relaxing, the ones in the back were reacting and tightening.

So, to compensate: simple reaches and stretches--arm up over your head gently reaching over (palm up & palm down). Clasp arms gently above your head and move gently feeling the muscles & where they are tight. Pull or push gently side to side as you move your arms further back. Anything that will stretch these muscles will help.

And a couple biggies: SIT LESS (sitting is SO bad for us!)  and when I sit, I (try to remember to) SIT UP STRAIGHT!  :) Even when using my computer, I stand (and move) as much as possible. Watch your ergonomics! Shoulders back, head up--so prop your computer up if you have to to keep the screen closer to eye level. The less you slouch, the more you will help your body! This pain will subside.

Please try this if you are able. I feel your pain because I felt your pain! During this time, I was miserable and afraid (it is such an ODD feeling!). Now I am free, I stand tall and I move more.

Please post if you have questions, concerns & if this helps you! Others need to know.

In love & light. We are all one.
DON'T BELIEVE YOU NEED AN ANTI-ANXIETY MED.

That's not what this is!

Please never accept it if a lay person suggests you need pharmaceuticals! That's a very irresponsible suggestion. There are plenty ways to reduce your stress without pharma!

If you DO take anti-anxiety meds, BE WARNED...

Recent research shows even limited use of meds like Xanax, Valium and other benzodiazepines (any time in your lifetime) are linked to an increased risk of Alzeimer's and dementia.

Read more here:

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-anxiety-drug-alzheimers-20140909-story.html

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/benzodiazepine-use-may-raise-risk-alzheimers-disease-201409107397

Reduce your anxiety naturally. Here are some suggestions & things that have worked really well for me:

Reduce your stress (sometimes this can mean change your expectations!).

Meditate (just sit quietly, let  your mind stop working for a while, you WILL notice a difference!).

Get enough sleep (I know, it's hard to do!)

Eat fresh fruit & veggies. Drink plenty of water. Avoid processed food. Avoid sodas (so very bad for us, especially diet sodas). Reduce your sugar intake.

LAUGH - find reasons to laugh, make reasons to laugh. Stop taking things so seriously, enjoy your time on this beautiful Earth! Spend more time in nature, walk barefoot (shown to calm and ground us), garden...

Avoid the news. Don't fall into the pit of despair that the media likes to foist on us!

Accept the wisdom of the serenity prayer, regardless of your feelings about God & Spirit:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

(this is a tough one to learn, but if you can stop worrying about things you cannot change, you will be amazed at the release of stress you will feel!)

Drink herbal teas that are known to calm. Gentle ones are lemon balm, chamomile, lavendar or peppermint. Others that help but can be reactive with other meds include: valerian, kava or passionflower. These last 3 are too strong for me. Be careful. Consult your doctor or find a local naturopath.

Most important, LOVE YOURSELF! Face your emotions. Stop judging yourself (and others). Work to find a life balance.

I found a podcast from a therapist named Max Highstein and it has helped me enormously. You might find this useful.

Love yourself and feed your soul.

In love & light.
Have you resolved this issue? If so what was it?? I am going through the SAME thing and have been for two years now!
I'm so upset. I started to get a tight throat about a month or so ago. I first noticed it one evening when reading in bed. Then it persisted and I couldn't get comfortable. I'd toss and turn, nothing helped. I'd press on the base of my throat, hoping it would ease it and it does, minimally.

But it's started to happen while sitting at the computer a few days ago and tonight it's driving me nuts! I am so upset I'm in tears.

I have also noticed my head hurts a lot when this happens. Lately headaches have been worse. I get heart palpations, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. I have been light headed the last two weeks off and on, and my hands shake at times, but they have for years now...

I have stress currently and have been letting go of so many things the last two years and sifting through personal issues, confronting myself. I'm also very overweight, but am losing, and mostly vegan at this point. I recently lost eleven pounds and hope as the weight sheds the throat issue will too...

It could be my thyroid, I am unsure but will have to be tested soon if this doesn't stop. Now it just abated as I am typing. Sometimes it does for a few minutes, then returns. Mostly I feel it when laying down, that's when it's the absolute worst...Night is also when I think way way too much. reading seems to somewhat help, though not much.
When you had this, did you 'feel' a mild, soft clicking when you swallowed? I'm asking because with mine it seems that there is not a sound, but "feel" almost like a clicking when I swallow. It's not smooth when I swallow, like it would be without the lump.  Thank you in advance.
I have similar issues with throat muscle tightness.  It is into my jaw as well, and tight shoulder muscles too.  I have been seeing an oseteopath and this is definitely the best medical professional I have ever seen.  My family doctor told me to take 2 ibuprofen everyday when I told him about my throat tightness, which didn't really seem like a logical solution to me. I would recommend an osteopath to everyone - it is just so amazing.  She also fixed a sore knee that I have had for over ten years, with jut one adjustment. I have a series of exercise I do every day that the osteopath gave me, and things are slowly improving with my throat.  
I've been having this throat/neck tightness for over a month now, and I have been searching high and low for what it could be. It seems to be more prominent on my right side and even goes into my chest. It's affecting my ears (ringing, muffled, etc) and my right arm to the tips of my fingers. I am almost 28 years old, I have been on a lot of medication over the last 7 months (klonopin, atavan, lamictal, seroquel, latuda, gabapentin, vibryyd, and zoloft). I  just had a physical end of last month and they even did an EKG because of the chest tightness/pain which came back normal.

After reading forums online, health websites, talking to my psychiatrist, going to my primary (I'm going again this afternoon), here is what I've come across:

- ANXIETY- of course my psychiatrist says it's anxiety, but the anti-anxiety meds do not help (plus I completely agree with WeStarStuff's comment. I've been having horrible side effects from all these meds and I've even been losing my hair due to the lamictal/gabapentin my psychiatrist put me on, and she never even warned me about it...). Do not rely on medication alone! If you DO take meds, do your research. Make sure you know the risks, and keep a good log of all your symptoms (good & bad), dosage increases/changes, any physical or mental issues, etc to take back to your doctor. If anything, try to find a good therapist (especially if you are already taking meds) to dive deeper into investigating your emotions and your anxiety. Therapy has helped more than anything for me, and there are no negative health side effects from talk-therapy.

- DEHYDRATION - I thought it could be this because it feels like a charlie horse in my neck, so I have been keeping track of my water intake to make sure I'm drinking enough. However, still has not gotten that much better.

- GERD and TMJ - I've been told I had these years before, so that is probably adding to the problem (my right jaw seems to always crack, especially when the tightness is really bad).

- Muscle Tightness/Cramping - I've gotten massages and even gone to a chiropractor a few times to see if maybe it was a pinched nerve or something was going on in my neck/shoulder due to me doing a weird movement or sleeping funny. I did come across this website which listed pretty much all the symptoms I've been having, and I've followed the stretches/massages this doctor listed on here and it's been loosening a little bit and my ear isn't affected as much as it was before. I try to do the massages about 6 times a day and make sure I drink a lot of water:
http://www.natural-solutions-for-muscle-pain.com/sternocleidomastoid-muscle.html

this also could be something of interest:
http://www.cricopharyngealspasm.com/

Although I already had a full physical exam, I am going back to the doctor this afternoon just to be on the safe side and give me piece of mind because I want to be 110% positive that this is not a tumor, breast cancer or anything of the sort. I've known too many people who have been diagnosed with cancer when it's too late, and half of those people had to fight to get a further look into their symptoms just to find out it was cancer. I'm not trying to scare anyone or say that this is cancerous or anything, but it is always better to be safe than sorry, especially if you have insurance (this is why we pay so freaking much for insurance right...?).

But definitely try those massages/stretches on that 1st website I listed, along with breathing, overall stretching, and meditation helps a lot (it will also help with your anxiety if you experience this as well :-)). Again, no negative side effects, it can only help. Keep track of your symptoms to see if they are getting worse or better and how long your symptoms have been persisting and what you have been doing to try to help it or what may have caused it. If the symptoms get worse, new symptoms pop up, or if you just want piece of mind  definitely go to your doctor and bring a list of everything it may be and things that you have/have not been doing so your doctor doesn't just dismiss you off saying it's anxiety. The best of luck to everyone (www.you-are-not-alone.info)!
I felt a lump in my throat for a while, and later a tightness along the length of my neck on the other side. Both problems lasted for weeks or months.

After spending over $1000 to see doctors and specialists about this, I self-diagnosed the problem as this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricopharyngeal_spasm

Luckily the last specialist I saw prescribed clonazepam.
Nuts, sorry, didn't mean to click on "Post."

Anyway, the last specialist I saw prescribed clonazepam. He wanted me to take half a mg before sleeping. This didn't have much effect.

But then I tried taking it during the day and after 15-20 minutes it almost completely resolved all my neck lumps/tightness/problems.

It can make you pretty zoned out and drowsy and uncoordinated so I wouldn't recommend taking it at work or if you have to drive.

But, after taking it once every few days for 2-3 weeks, it basically solved my muscle spasms.
Hi. I know now that my symptoms are due to Gerd and this: The Sternocleidomastoid Syndrome http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=44247

I am still dealing with this over a year later. Take care everyone.
Medication is causing that headache.
My question is have any of you had a neck trauma before any of this symptoms occurred? Time frame 3-4 weeks before throat discomfort started and tightness in SCM muscles, trapezius, and shoulders? Think, whip lash, fall, blow to cervical spine?
Hey, I'm quite late to the party but I've had very similar symptoms to what I'm reading about here. I was at my wit's end trying to find a solution. Throat cultures, antihistamines, barium swallow all came out fine.

Eventually, it came to me that it may be posture-related, given that self-administered myofascial release helped a bit.

If you sit often. Or if you generally don't watch your posture, your neck muscles may be too tight and knotted.

These stretches helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAsAseT39A

Also, strengthening the neck via putting a load on it has also been beneficial. What you do is: 1) Stand next to the wall, heels, head, and parts of your back against the wall. 2) Keeping your head against the wall move away from the wall so your neck bears some of the weight. Remember to keep your neck straight.
Don't strain your neck and don't do too much too soon.
And be sure to speak with a physical therapist if you don't feel comfortable doing the stretches and exercises yourself.

You may see results immediately, or you may see them in 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps at least a single person! Because I know how absolutely hectic this condition is.

Cheers!
Hello can you please tell me if you found out why you felt like that? Your symptoms describe me to a T. Even the neck pain for a few years before.
I ended up canceling my appointment with a physical therapist, as the problem resolved itself once I paid attention to keeping my neck mobile and doing the stretches a few times per day(no skipping). The lump in my throat and the pain swallowing simply went away after that.

The neck has quite an elaborate musculature, and the direct imbalance is hard to find, so it's best to approach it from all directions.

One of the avenues of the problem which I explored was forward head posture, which led me to find the stretches and strengthening exercises.
I have had a lot of throat pressure and tightness in my throat.  It has gotten worse over time.  It feels like a lump is in your throat or someone has their hand around it.  I have alot of mucus and throat clearing.  It's horrible when trying to lay down.  You feel like you are choking.  It's depressing because you feel like nothing will work.  I went to an ENT and had a scope and everything is okay.  After researching this on my own I believe what I have is silent reflux.  It can be cured with diet and lifestyle changes.  I just ordered Dr. Koufman's cookbook, Dropping Acid, The Reflux Diet from the library.  If you google "throat clearing from Acid Reflux" you will find information from Dr. Koufman on which trigger foods to avoid.  I hope this helps anyone suffering from these symptoms.
I am experiencing this tightness in the throat too with a feeling of pain or stiffness at the back of my neck, and also on the side and front, it is for more than a month now. I've been to an Endo and told me that my thyroid is normal. Then I went to ENT and check my throat and found out that I had some redness in my throat and it is beacause of an acid reflux, the doctor prescribe me an Omeprazole 20mg,I've been taking this now for 1 week and seems to be not working. I will return to my ENT to request for a CT scan so that I will know if there is a lump inside my throat, I also belive that the pain or stiffness arround my neck causes the tightness in my throat. I have I have a proper diagnostic within a week or so.
Im currently going threw with the same thing let me know how things go please I have no insurance I don't want to go John q
I have had this tightness in my throat, dr, specialist told me it was psychological, it was actually dairy.  Doctors never suggest doing an exclusion diet, instead push drugs.  So something to rule out is allergies.
I have same problem as you discuss ,doctor not understand what can I do,please help
I don't know the answer to why this is happening. I to have similar feelings. In my case most of the time i get a sharp pain on my right upper side above the breast. Than it starts to elevate with that tightness but it goes up my throat with pain. Breathing is difficult specially if I take a deep breath. It's happening frequently now.
Hi please am going through same problem as u discussed for two years now, I ve being to the physician and have been given antibiotics with ibuprofen, citrizen always when I visit the physician and also told me to stop drinking cold drinks and eat more fruits,  but I ve seen no improvement, so please keep me in touch when u get help somewhere.  
I too have constant throat tightness and feels like I am being strangled 24/7. My CT scan was normal, tried allergy meds and antacid no change, I'm worried they are missing something. Dr tells me it's anxiety? I have a hard time believing this, want to go to ER constantly, want to see an ENT. Am I gonna not be able to breathe cause of this? Please help
Hi everyone ,
Like the most of you I am experiencing throat tightness in the base of my throat just on the top of the thorax when the two neck muscles meet.
I have been having this feeling for almost a year now .
The tightness did go away for a few months ( spring-summer) and it usually manifests when it’s cold.
When that tightness was at its lowest , I did have another small feeling next to my throat that felt like a bit of food was stuck .

I had blood tests for thyroid - came clean , ENT checked my neck and looked inside - clean , I had an ultrasound - clean .

The above do seems to point that the tightness is psychological and possibly stress , but like many of you the irritation is real and been going in for long.

It was interesting to read a persons response mentioning the neck muscles .
Before this tightness appearing , I was having a very weird soreness above my left clavicle - sort of a swelling across the bone till my shoulder . That caused to feel my left arm a bit funny as if that swelling was messing up the muscle/nerves.
I had an ultrasound on that and it came clean. I suspect that has to do with round shoulders syndrome and muscle scar tissue between shoulder and back wing .

So I am a bit lost now as the doctors can’t seem to help me with my inconvenience .
I am currently awaiting some results from the Endocrinologist but I am not sure what are the next steps to take .
Ct scan? Barium swallow ? These would remove the chance of something malicious I guess , and then maybe talk to a surgeon orthopaedist to investigate the possibility of my shoulder-clavicle-throat being all stuck together .
ewd
I hav had this constant tightness of the throat for over two weeks now
Pls I need ur help....I hav been experiencing dis tightness and heaviness of the throat for over two weeks now....I hav been taking treatment such as antibiotics from doctors, nothing seems to b working. I hav also gone for CTscan d result show dat everything is normal. I keep feeling dsame way. I any help from here?