Ear, Nose & Throat Community

hard lump for 3+ years & other symptoms

This is a first for me...but here it goes. I have had a large painless bump behind my left ear for 3+ years. That is when I first had my GP look at it. I told him that I was very tired, had sore throats, trouble breathing, and an unusual lump behind my ear. He ran blood work that came back mostly normal if I remember correctly, sent me for lung function tests to see if I had asthma-which I did/do not, and sent me to an ENT to look at my lump/throat. The ENT ordered a CT scan which was fine other than two thyroid masses. This diverted things a bit because my mother had had thyroid cancer at 19 and my sister was currently undergoing surgeries at the ******* Clinic for thyroid cancer. I was sent to an Endocronologist who biopsied my nodules which came back fine. On a follow up(a year or so later) he looked at the lump behind my left ear and was convinced that it was a bone/soft tissue overgrowth b/c of its size and how hard it was so he ordered an MRI which showed that it was neither and he recomended that I go back to my ENT to figure out what it is. I have been very busy and have not followed up but now I have lost 25lbs, have a constent pressure in my ear like the lump, which is getting larger, is pressing on something, still exhausted all the time, can't breathe easily, and have a new lump on the side of my right breast which I get ultrasounded on Thursday. And I have an appointment with an ENT on Tuesday about the lump behind my ear. Is it unreasonable of me to ask them to remove the lump because of the discomfort? I really feel that there is something more going on...Am I overreacting?  Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

H.

It is definitely not overreacting to ask them to remove it. It is obviuosly affecting your life in a bad way. I'm sorry I don't have any more advie for you but I hope all goes well. Please post and let me know how it goes.

Melissa
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life