hyoid bone problems

History of my problem: For as long as I can remember, I have had a problem with my hyoid bone popping out and causing excrutiating pain. It is always the same - the right side of my neck. At about the age of 8 I talked to my pediatrician about it and he promptly told me it was not possible. That I was having anything "pop out" in my neck. He contended that there wasn't anything there that could pop out. So I just continued to push it back into place whenever it popped out. Back then, it was very easy to push back and only lasted a few seconds until I got it back. About 3 years ago, I noticed that this was happening more and more frequently (used to be about 2-3 times per year) Now it was happening about every month and was much harder to push back. Sometimes taking 20 or more minutes. During that time, it was extremely painful to swallow or talk. After I would finally get it pushed back into place, the pain would go away, but my whole neck would be sore up to my ear and through my jaw. It felt bruised, but no visible bruising on the outside. Over the next couple of years, this problem continued to get worse, happening weekly with some minor "slippage" on a daily basis.  Throughout my life, I have talked to various family practice doctors about this problem. They all contended that it must just be a "lump in my throad" like when you get emotional. Or maybe it's just excess head conjestion. Or maybe it's just a muscle spasm. Or maybe I'm just imagining it. Whatever the case, no one had ever heard of anything like it and no one ever took me seriously. So, I started researching on my own. I could not find anything that sounded like what I had. I posted questions to "Ask and Expert" all over the web. I did get some respones. all of which started with "wow, that is interesting. Never heard of anything like that before." One physician directed me to find a good ENT. So, I did. He took me seriously. He ran tests - CT scans, swallowing x-rays, blood work, etc. I saw a speech pathologist and everything. The swallowing x-rays showed that my hyoid bone did not more in unison. It appeared that the hyoid, which I'm told forms in the womb from 3 point of origin and then fuses into a solid bone before birth, had never fused into the solid bone at all. The ENT that ran the tests did not feel qualified to handle this case, so he referred me to a colleague who does a lot of throat cancer surgery and work around the hyoid bone. He reviewed the tests and theorized that if we removed the portion of the hyoid that was not firmly attached to the rest of the bone, it should solve the problem. I ran this thought process past the head of Otolaryngology at the Mayo Clinic, who had also never heard of such a problem, and he concurred that this theory did make sense. However, there were no guarantees due to the fact that no one had ever seen or heard of anything like it before. So, I went ahead with the surgery on 10/26/06. It seemed to go well. For 3 months, I had no problems. Then on 1/23/07, it popped again, just like it had always done. I immediately went back to the surgeon who is completely at a loss of what to do. His only recommendation is to do more surgery and remove more of the hyoid bone. However, the more they take out the greater the risk of swallowing issues post-surgery. I'm not sure I'm ready to sign up for that again just yet. Since the 1/23 incident, it has happened 3 more times with the last time being only 2 weeks from the previous episode. I'm worried that this is going to continue to get worse again. If it were only going to happen a couple of times a year, I would just deal with it like I have my whole life. But if it gets back to being almost every day, I can't imagine having to continue to deal with that for the rest of my life. As long as the bone is in place, I have no problems. No swallowing problems, no pain, nothing. I just never know when it's going to pop. I do a lot of public speaking and presentations. My greatest fear is that it will happen in front of an audience. The pain is so sudden and intense that I immediatley burst into tears. This is the main reason I have been pursuing this issues to begin with. Any suggestions? I saw in your archives that a person with the nick name of "creyn" described a similar condition back on 11/22/2004 on this web site. Did anyone ever help her? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi guys,

So, my right superior cornu of hyoid bone was broken. It happened 6 month ago. Don't ask me how it was. Also, first 4 month were horror - throat pains, clicking while swallowind, extremely disturbing dizziness.

Since I have this fracture, I have clicks in my throat each time I swallow.

In 2 last months I have also chronic pain at my right jaw. X-Ray of TMJ is OK, i don't know what is lead to this pain.

According to hyoid bone fracture: I meat 3 different professors (I live in Israel) and they propose me a Sistrunk procedure. It means surgery: to cut off the main part (the body) of hyoid bone.

Have anybody here this surgery? Is there any complications after this surgery? I understand that there're many muscles connected to hyoid bone.  If a big part of hyoid bone will be removed - will it affect the swallowing?..

Another question: have you any pain in your jaw after hyoid bone fracture?

I am currently talking with my ENT doctor about Resuspending my hyoid bone. He took my CT scan and said that he would email me if he could do the surgery. So, I am waiting for his answer.

Anyway, the bottom line is that
"DO NOT excise or remove your hyoid bone."
Hyoid bone is ESSENTIAL for normal body function, such as breathing, swallowing, speaking, and total balance of the body.
I assure the you guys also have the feeling of unbalance for the neck and face; suppose that you cut the portion of your hyoid bone.
It would worsen the feeling of unbalance and the other symptoms.
That is, RESUSPENDING or RECONSTRUCTING the dislocated bone is the only way to fix this problem. I am waiting for my doctor's answer.
So, once again, "DO NOT listen to any doctor who insist that he or she should cut the dislocated bone. DO NOT !!!!!
I really hope and pray that this post would help you guys.

P.S: my ENT physician is Dr. Robert Ward. He is at Cornell University.
       Even if he is at Pediatrician Department, he deals with the hyoid        bone dislocation. So, if it is hard for you guys to wait for my result, you could try to contact him by yourselves.
Thanks for your opinion. I agree with you - I looked for somebody why can fix two parts of broken bone, but all ENTs here tell me that they do not have any surgical way to fix it, only remove.

If you will find somebody who can do it - tell us please.
My email is ***@****. I wanted to ask you if your problem has been solved? I want to share you my story and I think it might help.
did anyones click just ever go away? please someone help me... my click started after intubation from my surgery.. it has been 9 weeks.. I'm so scared and depressed ..please help me! please
Go see Dr. Robert Ward in Cornell University, first.

If that does not work. let me know again.
Thank you!
How are you feeling lately?  How was the surgery?  Are you all well - any more clicking?  Thanks for all your info - it is extremely helpful!
Do you have clicking also? If so, how did it start?
Hi there.
I'm the italian guy who has had surgery by Dr Burke 3 years ago.

I didn't fix my problems and I'm still lookiinf for a solution.
I guess in my case it's a problem with my omohyoid muscle.
I feel a muscle spasm on my left side of my neck shoulder region. It intensifies when I speak.
Moreover when I speak and when I swallow I can see in the mirror that my omohyoid muscle became tense.

Thanks Luca

I found on pubmed some interesting articles addressing "omohyoid syndrome".

Did you find any doctor who can help you with this problem ?

Best regards
Rafail
Im still clicking everyday! if anyone knows anyone near the Chicago area please let me know.. I have gone to two Dr's and no one is able to help me!
Has something changed with your problem ? I would like to know if there is any doctor in Europe who may help, for me it is impossible too to go to USA from Poland
I got surgery from Dr. Tushar Lakhia in India.

He reconstructed the dislocated hyoid bone, by fixating the dislocated part with wires.
It greatly relieved my pains from clicking and feeling of unbalance between the left and the right neck.
Even if it does not help voice disorder, I think that it is much better than just excising the bone

His email is ***@****
The email is not visible.
So, just type tushar lakhia on google.

you are able to find his phone number.
Then, make a call, and tell your symptoms.

God bless you all.
DNGU777, Thanks a lot!
How are you feeling now?
Is that mean that you haven't find any doctor except in India who agreed to do hyoid bone resuspending?
Sorry I see only now the messagge.
You have to contact Doc Staffieri in Padova hospital. He knows the problem with Hyoid bone.
Let me know if you need other infos.
Regards
Mary
Did anyone tried medical marijuana for the pain relief or for the anti-inflammatory properties for the tendons etc.?
Like many, I'm glad to have stumbled upon this. When I brought it up to a physician many years ago I was told that it must be a muscle spasm and when I thought I was popping my throat back I was actually messaging the muscle until it relaxed again. It seems to happen if I cough as I turn my head. I cannot purposely recreate it. I haven't had it happen in a long time until today. I had forgotten about it and forgot to push it back in place. What a scary feeling it was until I remembered to pop it back in. Again, thanks for the posts it feels to know there are others with this... whatever it is.
I am a 24 year old classical trained singer and I started having some gradually sneaky issues with my swallowing and neck flexibility. Having a click in the larynx when swallowing and pain building upp over time. I went to see so many specialt ENT's, Ostepaths and Voice specialist, but noone could really understand and they all blaimed it on either mental issues like depression or muscular disorder. After selfdiagnosing myself and forcing some CT images it was discovered that the right side superior cornu of the thyroid was heavly calcificated and grew. One can see om my images that this clearly is causing an abnormality/unbalance with the hyoid bone and that they are bashing into each other when moving head specialy downwards, sideways and swallowing. Look at my profile pictures to look. The bad thing is that they dont know what to do about, even though they can clearly see that this is a huge problem for my health and for my career. If you experience these symtoms, be hard on the doctors and demand a proper diagnostic process. It is really not that hard to CT scan these areas to reveal underlying causes. In my case it might really be a bonedisorder/auto immune disease. Who knows? I do hope I can get a surgery or something like that to remove the calcification. I want my life back! =/ I have tried to contact Dr. Berke and Dr. Smith, but they are not very easy to get in touch with imidantly + I come from Norway. Got no idea how expensive this is going to be, but hope it wont be to bad.
em also with you and in your opinion.

http://www.mytexasent.com/

hi everybody. No one responds anymore.....i have this problem and i have had so much frustratring pain for five months if anyone can please help me. Symptoms are dypashia/clicking EVERY swallow. normal ct scan and mri 5 barium swallows 2 endoscopys please please help
Is everyone still alive??? HELLO? I am desperate!
Go to Dr. Cannady in Penn Medicine ENT.

He might be able to help you.
Hey everyone!
I have been reading this forum for sometime now and always backed away from sharing. I felt without a resolution to this issue I I had nothing to contribute. But I am now realizing how important it is for our story to be heard and hopefully more posts means getting the recognition we deserve.

My issue started March 2011 and being a singer and taking lessons for over 6 months I immediately thought maybe I must have pulled a muscle because all of a sudden one day I woke up and had this throbbing pain in my throat. I stopped taking for  a few weeks... spoke with my coach who made me do practice drills and noticed nothing wrong with my pitch. I got my vocals checked and they were fine!

But still my pain was there (I had pain in my right throat near the tonsil and hyoid bone area and the base of my tongue also hurt) Every time I swallowed  it felt like something was stuck. Eventually after a few months my pain was now also my right neck/base of neck at the back/shoulder/and scapula region.

And ofcourse this is where all of our stories share similarities. No doctor has been able to help me or even understand what I am going through.
I live in Canada so I was booking ENT appointments as frequently as I can (the wait time is sometimes 1-2 months)
- First ENT said it was "psychosomatic"!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!
ok let me relax here! But I felt so insulted and he was so dismissive.
I went back to him (a second time) and he felt around my tonsil area and said "seems like theres a hardening in that area like a nodule let me refer you to another ENT"
Fast forward that ENT said I needed a Tonsillectomy and to remove whatever nodule that was.
After surgery they discovered NO nodule and months later after healing my pain was worse then before. This is where my depression kicked in and still lingers around sometimes.
- From there I have seen more ENTS who have said  Acid Reflex, See a speech therapist and possibly thrush because I was taking antibiotics at one point for a month.
- Finally I went to a TMJ and after 4k of getting 2 splints and Ozone Therapy injections I was still where I started except all the money down the drain.
- I was sent to a neurologist who said I have glossopharyngeal neuralgia. I was given Lyrica for 6 months and it worked for maybe 1 month just a little bit but by the end of that I felt like a zombie - gained 20 pounds and that was it.
I started to lose hope at this point but never gave up.
- I went to a chiropractor/Massage therapist and that gave me relief in my shoulder/Scapula pain. But nothing ever resolved my throat/neck pain.
- I ended up going to another ENT who said my muscles are very tense in that area and a solution would be excision of the hyoid bone but "You're too young for that" she said and instead gave me a steroid injection. That helped and brought my pain down but couple weeks later it was back.
-3 months later I got another injection this time with no results

Symptoms
- Hurts when I talk for too long
-Even crying makes my throat hurt
-Lots of pain in hyoid region area
-Throat feels tight
-I hear a clicking in my thyroid cartilage when I swallow
-The right side of my neck hurts
-The back of my right throat
-Back of neck/Base of skull
-diffuculty swallowing sometimes
-headaches
-after a year my pain finally started in my shoulder and scapula

So the reason why I decided to post today after many years of reading this is because I made my appointment with Dr Smith in Salt Lake City Utah. I saved up and I am finally going in a week.

The reason why I didn't go with Dr Berke is if you google him, there was a lawsuit that was broadcasted on lots of news station about racist remarks he's made. The doctor who sued won the case. I thought maybe before judging I should read the reviews of patients and a lot of people were complaining about Racism from him (please feel free to google and read also)

So my heart told me to go with Dr Smith. I felt safe with the decision and I hope I get the treatment I need to remove this pain. My life has drastically changed - I was a singer who was signed to a major label and it was my main source of income. I got released two years ago because I simply was not delivering. I was going in everyday recording under lots of pain medicine and by the end of the night I couldn't talk or move. It finally all caught up to me and now I have been unemployed and don't know what my calling in life is anymore. It was the only thing I was genuinely good at and enjoyed doing.
This whole problem has effected me in many ways! Im hoping we all figure out what this is.

I hope to come back with some answers!
Good Luck, Milly04.

I wish you all the best.
has anyone recieved a steriod injection in the area of the hyoid? i am getting one tomorrow for this and i am really nervous please help- thank u
Hi milly! I sent you a direct message but this is litterally the EXACT symptoms i have and i am also a singer- it ruined my life. I am recieving a steriod injection tomorrow and am extremly un hopeful that it will do anything i am so tired of eating beans and liquid- please lmk if u find any info please!
please someone help
Did you ever figure out your hyoid bone problem?? i am so desperate I need help so badly. Thank you. god bless.
Any update?

I'm dealing with this issue for 2 years and I'm betting I need to have this surgery.  I'm in Richmond, VA.
I saw a great ENT in northern Virginia yesterday who diagnosed me with hyoid bone syndrome.  He gave me an injection into my left hyoid area.  He used an ultrasound to show where I was rubbing together.  He's not sure the injection will help.  It's been almost 24 hours and I'm still crunching.  Not sure if it will take longer.

He cautioned me about the surgery that he personally has never done it and it would certainly permanently change my swallow.   Hoping it doesn't come to that.

Interested if anyone has updates on their situation.
Is anyone updating to this site any further?  The injection I had in my neck did not help me.  I've checked with a few ENTs in my area and they all tell me they don't treat hyoid bone syndrome.

One out of town ENT recommended Dr Berke or Dr Woo in NYC.  Has anyone ever used Woo?
I phoned the office of Dr. Picken and the nurse had her right beside her and checked and I was told she does not do the hyoid bone surgery.  I'm a bit bummed as I'm told that i need it.  
I am having a surgery by Dr. Smith next month.  How did yours go?
How did your surgery go?
How did you surgery go?
has anyone found any relief?
i thought i was the only one.
There are so many people suffering from it and still no cure :(

I believe it just doesn't kill people but sometime i just want to shoot my throat or hang it.

5 ENT's in 15 days.they all told me i had throat swelling.

But i don't know what throat swelling has to do with with this bone.on outside my throat is so tight.

Someone please send me a message if he/she got relief from it.
how did yours go?
I have read almost all the comments.most of you said you can pop it back.I want to know how you do this ?
I have a constant pain for more than 24 hours.Sometimes is bearable but sometime it is very painful.i cant sleep for a single second.A strange feeling pops up radiating pain  from neck to jaw.head and upper chest.
I don't know how to make it normal for at least a minute or even a second.
i can't look up at ceiling ,neither can touch my chin with my chest.If a take deep breath the pain would increase,sometime i feel like i have lost the ability to swallow.My neck seems to be rigid.while swallowing anything i can feel a noise.touching my neck feels very uncomfortable.neck tenderness over hyoid bone.I almost forgot what was the normal condition of my neck.
Does these symptoms are the same as you people?
I have this as well and have had it since I was a child. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this in relationship to severe child abuse? I'm currently 52 years old and was a victim of severe child abuse that often including choking. Is there anyone here who has had trauma to the neck/throat? I never knew there were so many other people having this problem and attributed it to my father choking me as a child. I always pop it back into place but it is extremely painful and scary. I never considered seeing a doctor about it.
I  still have this i am on year two and now i am noticing the muscles in my nose are being affected. Does anyone else have trouble smelling? or pain in there nose? Thank you
Finally, I have found others who know what I am talking about.  I am in my 50's and have had this problem all my life.  It feels just like a bone popping out of place.  I used to be able to make it pop back in place just by moving my jaw, opening my mouth, yawning - anything like that.  

In the past year or so, though, I have had to manipulate it back into place using my hand, and I can push it in and out, in and out, over and over with my fingers.  It clicks loudly with every movement.

The pain goes through my jaw and up into my ear too.  

I had convinced myself that it was cancer of the eosophagus, but I just don't present with any of the other symptoms for that, although I have suffered nightly acid reflux for a few years now, and sometimes, when the pain in my neck is coming and going it does send a burning sensation down through my chest.    

I am very reluctant to see a doctor as I have a fear of being told I have cancer because I would refuse treatments for cancer.  I have no faith whatsoever in any cancer treatments, and I firmly believe that the so called treatment is worse than, and just as deadly as, the actual disease.

I just wonder if many of you - or your doctors - had ever considered the possibility of cancer when you were seeking answers, and if you sought medical examination with that in mind.
I posted here some year ago before having the surgery with dr. Berke in Los Angeles. I am italian and apologize for my English.
My issues before the surgery were a clicking sensation when swallowing on the left side of my throat and the feeling of a muscle that was pulling my hyoid bone to the left when talking and swallowing. Any popping sensation.
Unfortunatly the surgery didn't fix this problem, that I am now convinced was from laryngopharingeal reflux, muscle Tension Dysphonia and TMJ.

I had the surgery in august 2010. In the following years it happened from time to time to wake up in the morning with a sharp pain in the opposite side of my hyoid bone. This pain usually disappeared during the morning.
Over time this has heppened more and more frequently, up to nowday when I am in constant pain ( 6 months now)
It's not easy to indicate its exact position: I would say at the base eof the tongue spreading behind the eye and the jaw.

I am writing here in order to know if any other that underwent the surgery is experiencing similar problems.
I forgot to add that this pain spreads too at the base of the skull and sometimes it gives a bad headache.
So glad to know I am not the only one with these Hyoid bone problems! I have been sat here reading for nearly an hour. I want to add my bit. Maybe it will be helpful.

I am 32 and I remember having this 'dislocation' some time during my early teens. I don't know exactly how it started. Frequent chest infections and the associated heavy coughing maybe?. There was a period of about a year when I occasionally would strain my neck in a certain way and the click would happen. Then the panic. What's happened? Why won't it go away? The pain of swallowing or talking as if someone was holding a knife to my throat. It felt like my windpipe had gotten hooked on something and was going to rip open if I kept on swallowing, which of course I would have to eventually. I truly thought I was going to die. Eventually I figured out that yawning released the tension sometimes. Sometimes i could physically click it back in place. After months of anxiety it eventually subsided.

It has on occasion resurfaced over the years. It happened again the other day as I stretched my neck whilst lying down. In that moment of panic I forgot what to do to fix it. 10 mins later I tried yawning and it went back. I know it is real because the area is still sore from it. So today I decided I needed to know if I was in any danger. And thankfully I found this post.

It sounds like there are a lot of varying causes ultimately ending in the Hyoid unhousing itself. So sorry to hear of those of you to whom it has been so chronic and severe. I am glad at least that you have found support from others in the same boat. I think in my case knowing how to fix it quickly is the key to preventing frequent reoccurrence.

I haven't been to the doctors because he already thinks I am having psychosomatic hypoglycemic symptoms. But with this info I might bring it up with him in case there is anything more to it.

I have a hunch that my muscles might be the cause of the problem. I have always felt that they are not up to scratch. If I throw a ball with any force my arm is sore for hours. I seem to be able to strain muscles by merely stretching them. Perhaps the muscles in my neck are equally fickle? Some people have mentioned Hyper-mobility. Muscle abnormalities a likely cause in some people maybe?

About me, I am male, average height, but slim. Asthma and a weakness to respiratory illnesses. Suffer from on and off anxiety and depression. And whatever my doctor thinks, I suffer from low blood sugar frequently.

Hope that helps someone.
I have it to. Im 19 yrs old. Im in so much pain. It happens like twice a year with me to and it happened tonight and it wont go back in its been 3 hours!!!
For as long as I can remember I've had this issue where it feels like something in my neck moves out of place. It's not particularly painful, just a bit uncomfortable. But when it doesn't go away it's VERY annoying, because I can feel it when I swallow. The only way I've found to 'fix' it is to move my throat around with my hands until it goes back into place. I've never gotten it checked out before because it's not really painful, but I wonder if it's a similar issue to everyone here? I have a knee that comes out of place slightly that I have to move back on a regular basis(WAY more painful than my neck), so maybe my body just isn't held together as well as it should be? Whatever the reason, this post has definitely brought me some insight. I don't know if I'll ever get my neck looked at, because I've had many issues in the past of going to the Doctors with symptoms and them telling me there's nothing wrong...when there is. But at least now I have some idea of what's happening to my neck!