i have a hole in my ear? (not ear canal)
okay so ever since i was born i've had this big bump with a hole in it, above my right ear. its located where the top curve meets the side of my head and its about as big as an ear piercing... maybe just a tad bigger. my left ear doesnt have the hole or the bump, it smoothly transitions from the top curve of my ear to the side of my head. sometimes this area would itch and many times this cloudy white/yellow/funny smelling liquid is excreted from the hole. and sometimes a little harder, darker yellow/brownish color looking (it kind of looks like ear wax) stuff would come out of this hole. if anyone could please tell me what exactly this is, and if it could get infected, how would i know? thank you :)
i have one..never broken any bones..have a good immune system...and always thought i was an alien, adopted, or that it was from some experiment done. never hurts..does leak sometimes when i press on it.. sometimes smells fishy but it evaporates off my finger almost instantaneously..i have dreams that later actually happen :O  no lie..i want it to go away :'( i would rather not be "different" being smelly and weird :/
YES FINALLY I FOUND PEOPLE LIKE ME, this thing wasnt such a big deal till i was 10, then as i grow it just gets more of the white stuff out, and now im 14 it gets MUCH MORE liquid daily, sometimes i try to resist because when i itch it, the upper part of my ear where the hole is grows, i have one on my right ear, i didnt care so much until yesterday when i pressed it to get the stuff out it got out that white stuff WITH BLOOD so i was concerned, btw i live in egypt so cuz of the heat it gets alot of that stuff, and also sometimes when i press around it and i get that white stuff out its kind of a solid with same smell, but i got used to the smell though :D , im still concerned :S
I can't believe after all this time, I have only now decided to do research on what I think is quite a unique & cool birth "mutation" ! I'm so glad to have read all these comments even though what some folks experienced are quite extreme.

I'm a 31 year old female from the Caribbean. I was born with a pre auricular pit only on my right ear. The hole is small & cute. People always thought it was a piercing since I have lots of piercings. Funny enough when I was younger, people never noticed nor asked me about it as much as they do now. I always have to keep saying "I was born with it. I have no idea what it is." Now I can finally give it a name. It is rare to be born with it and it is definitely hereditary. My aunt on my dad's side has them on both ears. One of her daughters got it but only on her left side. My aunt on my mom's side also has it on her right ear only. It's so funny because my parents do not have it.

It itches from time to time but only when the fluid seems to want to drain out. When I realise that, I just clean it by pressing on it with a damp tissue until all the liquid oozes out. Then put some antiseptic to kill the germs and the weird smell. I have never gotten any infections because I guess I always cleaned it properly and regularly.
Folks who got those bad infections and had to undergo surgery probably never cleaned it so the accumulation of the fluid over a period of time caused bacteria to develop.

As some folks mentioned above I really feel special to have it as I do have a great immune system and a heightened "sixth" sense. Maybe it is true about it being "spirit holes". I wish I had them on BOTH ears. I LOVE having a pre auricular pit and wouldn't change it for the world!!
it is somewhat a birth defect and genetic as well. Some of my relatives have it. I remember I had an infection once when I was younger and my father used boar hair to clean it out. Since then i never had any infection, but unfortunately I squeeze out the puss often because if you don't, it spreads and stretches the skin inside to enlarge the area for more puss to contain, then eventually collects bacteria and that will not be good.
in your case... you should pierce you ear. At least the pit out. Get rid of it because it can cause you harm in the long run. It is easier and safer to remove the pit that is not attached to your head.. like most of us.
My cousin removed his, but it left a nasty scar. I have it too. You just need to squeeze out the puss as often as possible. It will stretch and build up if you don't. like cleaning your ear... the less you do it, the more wax will be in there and it will collect dust/debris and make it smell or turn it into bacteria. The stretch part is because the hole is pretty tiny, it's hard to come out o it's own at times, so it builds up. I know quite a bit about it because a lot of my ancestors have it. They call it Chicken ear.
pluck a fresh boar hair... use the root part.. stick it in the hole. twist it around.. it will help a lot. my dad did that for me when i was younger... and no more infection, though i still have to squeeze out the puss as often as i remember to
I am 15 years old and i have a ear pit on my Daith, with is currently infected. My mother doesn't understand how severe the pain is and keeps pushing me to let her squeeze it. Its about the size of maybe a blueberry. The liquid usually differs as i grow older, yellow when i was small, brownish when i was around eight and now its clear, with a unfamiliar odor. Any ideas on how to stop pain? would a Tylenol help it?
OMG... i thought i was the only 1....thx god i have a lodz of frenz.
actually i didnt have it... but when i was i think 10... from my left ear this very stinky goo used to come out frequently and it was yellowish brown colour... i didnt know what to do and that time it didnt pain... but now m 17 and right now its hurtiing veryy badly and m almost to cry and it also bleeds frequently... i dont know what to do :(((
i have been putting ear pain relieve drops but its not helping at all :'(
what should i do??
I am 58 of course was born with 2 holes  in my upper ears , itching swelling and infection in the right upper had to get drained , what I would like to know I get migraines . since I was 3 years old .. and one else get migraines ?
After seeing an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist for my 3 yr old Grand-
daughter, she is scheduled for surgery next week.  According to the Dr.
after several infections and antibiotics the next step is surgery or it will continue to progress and worsen.  So, I would contact your Dr. and ask about surgery.  New technique called, "inside out"  so it does not come back.
I have one at the top of right ear. My father had one on both ears and so did my brother. My neice has one left ear.. The puss now flows to my ear lobe and I have to squeeze and man does ity stink.
My brothers was dry and so is my neice. I did not have that luck.
After posting my earlier message and reading the messages of others I have decided we are just evolving faster than the average person.
I did have the same problem growing up until I went to an ear, nose, throat specialist. He scheduled an appointment to conduct the surgery at the local hospital. He sliced open the skin going right across the hole and pulled out multiple sacks of puss. Sewed me up and I was on my way. Pretty gross but luckily they put me out for the surgery.  
ohhh me 2 ive got 3 holes on both side of my upper ear ..the hole are positioned exactly as the other also the weird thing is dat all the holes in each side have different size running from small to big n bigger
4got to mention i havent had any problem with the hole it doesnt smell though it produces some sort of dry substances also im da onli one in my family with
I have the exact same placement of the hole as runner07.. Had it since birth.. The hole looks like a piercing, is clearly visible and smells darn awful when aggravated.. Highly embarrassing and unsightly since I'm a woman..
I once had a bad reaction to all the pus when I was 13 which resulted in immediate surgery.. However, the docs could not take out the sac containing the pus since I was so young.. I'm 31 now and this stupid hole continues to bothers me...
What is the precise medical term for this ear condition - simply 'fistula'? Bummed to learn that it could be genetically passed on to your kids. Eeeek..!!
I Was born with these holes over both ears i was told you are suppose to be gifted n the spirit world. mine never bothers me but i get a white pulse fm them sometime; this may be true sometime i can see things and people that i never knew and warn people before sometimes i'm scared to sleep cause i see so much.
When I was five ish I remember my dad would lay me down every night and clean it out for me.  He would squeeze it and then clean it with peroxide. I was young but it did help I think.  Once in awhile it still gets really swollen but I just have to clean it out twice a day until it gets better. So I think you should. It might hurt for the first few times but it will get better!
I am a 26 year old white male. I have a hole in both of my ears in both "pre-auricular" areas, but only one is active. My mother and my uncle were also blessed with these. My pre-auricular sinus/cyst has haunted me for years now. Throughout my life like everyone else, when it was hot it leaked (ie. shower, phone to ear, hot/humid weather). That's when I had a hole there. I was sick of the leakage all the time, and finally it got infected and all this thick yellow puss came out when I was 21 so I decided to get it excised/taken out. It had never been infected that bad.

So I went to the doctor set it up, and had the surgery. It didn't hurt. They put you to sleep. After this is where it all went wrong. They stitched up the wound and now I had no "hole" for drainage. For the next 5 years with no "hole" there now, the cyst would become infected at least once every 6 months like clock work and have to be lanced. I cut it three times myself. You get sick of spending $400 for someone to "poke" an oversized pimple with a razorblade. And waiting for that dude to come to a head with no "hole" *****....pain..pain..pain. It was either surgery again or deal with the 4 weeks of infection and pain every time before the big POP. And to top it off since it's closed and no drain hole the puss would get so infected it would be green.(dark green eww, and man did it stink)

So Wednsday I got surgery again. The nurse said they removed a bunch of tissue. I was figuring with it all closed up like that and no where to drain the sinus/cyst was branching off all over my face. When it got infected I could feel pressure on my teeth! Anyways if I'd known it would have been like this I probably would have left it in there at 21, but I still wouldn't have liked stuff draining out of my ear and stinking. CATCH 22. And that's my story about living with a pre-auricular sinus/cyst.
I have the hole in both ears since birth (over 40yrs) and seen multiple ENTs doctors. I was told that there is a surgical procedure. to remove it but may not be worth it. The one on my left side sometimes swells and stinks when a liquid comes out. I use cold water..alcohol..and tissue to clean mine. After 1 or 2 days it subsides and the swelling goes down.
holy god do you even use puctuation and if you do when and if you tell me when then maybe I can read what you just wrote and I havent hear about this thing with little kids with periaucular pits seeing dead people but then I never actually thought much about it but hey maybe I will now and wow thats kinda freaky that people with brown oozing stuff coming out of a small hole in the ear would signify extrasensory perception but thats cools and all. By the way, the bown, stick, liquid oozing stuff? It's called pus. Your body is fighting infection, and not trying to communicate with uncle Morry who died in 1963.

Generally, bacterial infections are not usually construed as "sixth-sense".
Did you have to bring her down? In your sentence above "I havent hear about this thing" it is (I haven’t heard about this thing) in the English dictionary the last time I checked. The World Wide Web has a huge number of people and may be some aliens. English is not every ones first language Mr Cbinchi  

Be nice.
I have the same hole on my right ear and it drains every month around the end of my menstrual cycle. WIERD! Read these posts makes me somewhat feel better about having this hole since I see that I am not alone.  Now what still bothers me is no one has mentioned the drainage around the menstrual time. Maybe it is a way for the body to rid itself of bacteria.
I saw this video on YouTube that describes Preauricular sinus/fistula and cysts and shows (pretty graphic) surgery of how they're removed.  It sounds like your doctor didn't remove all of the unhealthy tissue that lies under the hole.  It says in this video (at 7:57) that inadequate removal will result in recurrence & failed surgery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aUukFk-tY
ROFL ;-0 You are too funny. I am currently 61.5 yrs.old. I was born with a tiny hole in my left ear.(closest side to my face-middle part) My Maternal grandmother and my aunt(born with two ;-(  ) are the only family members that had them waaaay back then. Of course mine had to be the only one that swole my face up like a balloon every summer. (I don't remember a smell or itching) I remember having surgery at age 5 and the doctor said it was to "Remove A Bag Of Fluid" I think he mentioned "infection"
Doctors studied the whole body waaaay back then;-0. Apparently he was correct because I've never had a problem(I still remember being in the hospital for a long, long time)
In today's society  it's probably done in the office;-0 and back to work you go;-0!
I'm amazed at the number of "Fellow Spirit Holes;-0" Just Learned that Label and Loved It Because I love some "Jesus!"
My advice (1) Pray (2) Ask your physician if you could possibly have a "Bag of Fluid" inside that needs to be "Removed"
(3) Make certain to check references before ever allowing anyone to perform surgery on you! (You would be amazed at the number of surgeries that are performed because the physician has some bills due;-0) Blessings.
Anybody else with this hole ever experience some SERIOUSLY intense E.S.P. events?
After a few years of seeing some things that most people dont see and having a some intense premonitions that unmistakably came true scene for scene, I mentioned this to my parents a little while ago who then told me that they were told when I was a kid/baby that I would have heightened extra-sensory perception because of this hole above my ear.
I  as well have it on both my ears and so does my kids as well as my mom.. I was told they are called skin ducks.. well it really doesnt matter what its called but my brother and mother sergery for it cause it had gotten puss and was making their face swollen..now iam scared because i might need it too..
I have the exact same thing. I have a hole in my right ear and it smells like crap. I was concerned so I went to a professional ear doctor and he told me that when fetuses are developing, they have a hole on both sides of their ears. As the fetus develops and is born, the holes fill up completely. Sometimes, that doesn't happen. This doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but it's best avoided to get it infected, or surgery is required.

Hope this helped!
I've had one for 20 years since birth and just this year when I got home from a canoe trip I noticed some dirt on my fistula. I cleaned it up but then I smelled this awful smell from where my finger had touched it so put a hot/warm washcloth on that spot and squeezed gently and pus came out. Before then I had never noticed or remember having any problems with it. It's really odd and I want to know why it does that and how to clean it better so it won't happen again, because it every once in awhile will fill with pus again. Sorry this is so gross and personal but I just want to know what the heck it it!
I had the exact same horrible indescribable smell in the same place in my nose.  Really weird and gross.  What you have in your nose is most likely a staph infection. I'm suggesting this because I had one a few months ago with the same awful smell. It turns out that my sinuses were impacted so I assumed it was just a really bad sinus infection and was prescribed antibiotics.  It didn't go away so my Dr thought it could be staph and he swabbed for it. Results came back that I have it and according to my doctor it is fairly common about 20% of the population have staph bacteria living on the surface of the lining of the sinuses. The bacteria can be killed in the body by anti-biotic medicine but the ointment is necessary because the bacteria replicates so quickly. He prescribed both a pill for a sinus infection and an ointment anti-biotic to apply with a q-tip and it went away and hasn't returned. I still use the ointment because that smell was so bad it made me paranoid that it will come back the moment I stop. I'm sure that's not true but I'm not testing it.

Go see your doctor and they'll do a swab to test for it.  You'll know in a few days and be on your way to getting rid of that nasty smell.  Good luck

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with this problem!! Mine is like a volcano, it erupts sometimes. I CANNOT STRESS IT ENOUGH how much I hate the stinky smelly liquid that's soooo embarrassing when it suddenly comes out. I would LOVE to know if there is some kind of surgery to take that whole piece of tunnel like thing in there to keep it from collecting stinky fluid.. damn this defect!!!
I was born with these...they were at the top of my ear where the ear and my face meet......my Dad had them and his grandmother. All of us had to have surgery to remove what my doctor called "grapevine cysts". After itching for a few days it would swell up to the size of a golf ball and would need to be lanced. After my surgery I have had little to no issues with sweeling, itching or the god awful smell.
I am so glad that I have found you all.  I don't know if what I have is the same thing, but I have a hole inside my ear, not too far from the opening.  That whole is, I'm guessing a tunnel to a hole in my neck.  The hole in my next looks like a dimple, but the hole inside my ear is without a doubt a hole.  Every since I can remember it has itched and I will mess with it and it will "drain".  It doesn't drain a whole bunch, it is a whitish color, and a little thicker than puss.  When I was baby through my toddler years I would get ear infections quite often.  When I really noticed it myself was when I was about 8-12 and that is when I learned how to itch it and "drain" it.  The small was horrible, I was so embarrassed.  I too would joke around with my friends and put an earring in my neck to try to make it funny instead of embarrassing.  Now I am 25, the hole still itches and drains, but it does not stink like it used to.  It still has a smell, but not the same overwhelming smell like before, this one is more of a greasy hair smell, if that make sense.  I'm so blessed to have not experienced the same trouble that some of you have had to deal with.  I don't know if because mine has an outlet that it doesn't swell all up and cause problems for be.  Don't get me wrong it is bothersome, but nothing to what some have had to deal with.  I did go to an ENT when I was 20 and they sort of explain it to me as to it didn't fully develop from being in the womb, and that I could have surgery, but there was 50/50 chance of me loosing all nerve endings in the left side of my face, which was just a chance that I did not want to take.  I have noticed that mine itches not so much, especially since we have been in winter months.  When I do a lot of swimming and things of that nature it bothers it a lot more.  The other day my husband found the hole in my ear and told me about where it was located so I could get a good vision to where it was, I think that mine drains more, because the hole is right inside my ear and water gets in there.  After a shower or swimming it become irritated and I have to drain it, then the secretion is water, which make sense now.  I hope this helps, and if someone has a tunnel like mine, it would be nice to see what you go through..  Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone in this matter, I have been looking at everyone's ears since I stated reading this forum to see if I can find others with the same thing.  God Bless :)  
I have one above each ear. It's not like a hole we purposely made. Most were born with it. So your belly button might just be infected from the ring?
I had  a very funny time with my class mate in school... in my 3rd class a little fly went inside the small hole and died there... This hole became swollen and looked big.. My class mate came and pressed that with his two thumbs.. This white stinky think was squeezed all over his face and his shirt.. where i have seen the dead fly... other than that there is no problem at all..
Me too... I decided to see a doctor soon I'll let you know what is all about
When I was young i was diagnosed with otis media the doctor called it. He or she said it was very rare and is caused by sensitivity of pollution. Doc said it would go away and never has. He told my dad that he could do surgery but i mwy never hear out that ear again. I declined that dumb surgery. I am now 28 going on 29. I noticed that it did go away while I was on steriods from another problem I had. What it is really is fluid build up in the middle ear. My mom said that is because my ear tube is looped differently. Normally fluid is supposed to drain down your throat. Gross! Not obly that I think i may have it either because my mother smoked while pregnant with me or because i was born 2 weeks late back when they didn't induce labor? I am not 100% sure. That's how i found this lol. At least i know i am not alone i guess. I wish there was a cure cuz this really sux!
I am 45 and have had it my whole life too and it stinks to all heaven.  Have you heard anything yet?  I've given it to my daughter too.  
Oh my God, I someone out there has this!  I have one at the top of my left ear and it itches like crazy, leaks puss,smells and rarely it will hurt.  My dad has one too, but he doesn't have puss.  When I was little my mom pointed it out to the doctor who said that he wouldn't do anything since it didn't bother me that much.  Both my mom and the doctor just told me not to scratch it.  Not only is that nearly IMPOSSIBLE when it itches, but if I don't drain it myself, it will open on it's own and leak everywhere.  

I've found that scratching it with a Qtip helps because you can get right where it itches and soak up the puss at the same time.  I was really hoping there was a fix that didn't involve surgery.  Anything to dry it up would be enough for me since it doesn't bother me all the time.
Ok i have them on both sides of my ears. Can u teach me more about this?
I had THE EXACT same thing but my mom took me to the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor and told me that surgery could get all the substances out but it would leave a scar so my mother decided not to do it . So I lived with it for another year maybe until one day I was messing with my ear and pushed the top of the hole down and all of the substance came out! I did this one day for maybe 5 times and now it hasn't leaked since! This is now going on 5 months since it hasn't leaked at ALL!
Do not get it stitched or cover it! I have the same thing , and one day I woke up with my face swollen due to a serious infection. To make a long story short, the doctor stitched it up and it made things worse! It needs to be able to drain,unless you have surgery to remove the pit. Hope this helps. I don't mean to scare you, but was just trying to help you by telling you my experience.
Wow! this is extremely interesting...I've always had this same hole on the earlobe on my right ear and yes, the smelly thing light thin or thick brown mucus of some kind comes out. Until recently, it was the most annoying thing I know about my body, I am African male and really nervous and careful when I have to get a hair cut, hoping the barber doesn't mistakenly put pressure on it. I am still not used to the idea that anything can be found online now. I was playing trivia crack and learned that the reason people yarn is because they do not have enough oxygen going to the brain. I told that to my brother who was hiccuping and he asked me why people hiccup and I decided to look it up. A few minute later my ear itched and I had to clean it, then I ended looking it up and here I am.
Before reading these comments, I have only met one other person that has this and he was my cousin. Personally, it is annoying if not for the itch but for the smell because I am very sensitive to scents of any kind...so sensitive that I think rival a Dog if I trained. Right now I can track people based on scent. So, the smell of this thing overwhelms my senses.
I got really good with managing it since I have no choice but
the reason I decided to comment is because, my mother was born a full blown psychic extremely powerful....my younger sister the one that looks the most like my mother inherited a portion of it more powerful than mine. I have recently began to associate the hole in my ear to my psychic powers and trying to figure out how they relate to each other so I can gain more control of the psychic part.
Do surgery helps? Im recommending it to my parent to stop this foul smelling thing
Yes! I have thought that this is why I have good immune system...I thought may be the smelly puss were toxins.
Hi Guys i have this holes on both my upper ears too (near the temple) but only the other one is excreting this funny smelling stuff, that i have to regularly pinched it every morning during bath time to remove the (some sort of wax) if i don't do it i'm gonna stink throughout the day and its embarrassing. Any expert answers yet?
Whenever i remove it, even a little touch after it will also smell, thats why i do not pinch it in weekdays because a little smell makes your day embarrasing because when you friends  or crush had smelled it, yuck!, im gonna remove it with a surgery so i have no problems with it, i always take care of it preventing other people to touch nor push it to not make the smell go out