Ear, Nose & Throat Community

i have a hole in my ear? (not ear canal)

okay so ever since i was born i've had this big bump with a hole in it, above my right ear. its located where the top curve meets the side of my head and its about as big as an ear piercing... maybe just a tad bigger. my left ear doesnt have the hole or the bump, it smoothly transitions from the top curve of my ear to the side of my head. sometimes this area would itch and many times this cloudy white/yellow/funny smelling liquid is excreted from the hole. and sometimes a little harder, darker yellow/brownish color looking (it kind of looks like ear wax) stuff would come out of this hole. if anyone could please tell me what exactly this is, and if it could get infected, how would i know? thank you :)
Sounds like this:

http://www.ghorayeb.com/AuricleCongenitalPit.html
thanks, but the hole's not inside my ear
I have the same exact thing !   It sucks because it stinks and is embarassing.  I have it on both ears.  Have you gotten any responses back that are worth anything.  Let me know !  I have had it my whole life and am damn sick of it.  My kids have it too.

Dennis  
i have the exact same thing, and its on my ear lobe and this white stuff comes out and it stink and its sometime itches alot, its do horrible i wish i didnt have it, i've always wondered what it was, and everyday i have to clean it properly. its such a mission.

WHAT IS IT!!!!
i have same thing as well as my wife and one of my kids got it on both ears i'm the only one of my moms kids that does but she does also she told me that doctors don't know to think of it but your right it stinks and suck to have it
i've found that if i clean it with surgical spirits it isnt so bad, the white gross stuff subsides, but being a girl i get very consious coz it sometimes gets in my hair, not cool at all.  but everything i've read said its on the top of the ear, mine is in my ear lobe, sometimes gets confused with a hole for an earing but its more on the side of my lobe, to be honest it was so itchy once i scratched it with a hair pin, lol and it goes no where, it just like a dead end with a pointless entry in to the ear lobe, do you or your wife or your kids have it on your ear lobes or where?

soz to be so personal. lol.
sorry addressed my comment above to only one person by accident. :-)  please any one respond
I have this hole also...its called a fistula....mine has a wierd smell at times...but not all the time....sometimes it will have a lil itch and when i scratch it..it smells....i have never actually seen any liquid come from the hole. Ive had it 28 years since birth. My daughter also has this hole...and she has never mentioned it itching or secreting any liquid. She is 8 years old.  Her father had one as well. Maybe some case are more extreme than others. Some doctors say the liquid and smell are due to infection. But I have never had mine treated , and never felt any affects of this really being some kind of infection. I would think that after 28 years something would have happened if this were truly some kind of infection.
my parents don't have it. my aunt does though, she's my father's sister. and my little sister has it on both ears while i just have it on my right one. we've both had it since birth too. its weird, i've recently noticed that it mostly secretes the liquid when i'm outside and its really hot. and when i'm in the cool indoors, its mostly dry.

My grandmom had it nd I do to her's leaked green puss mine now after 29 yrs is kinds swollen and leaks way more than ever and yea super embarassing imagine... heat of passion and no not that ear it stinks....lol *****, but it's neat to be different, well it was til I learned its pretty common.... although no one I actually know has it. I put 14k gold earrings in it to disgust my friends. Yea it's that deep....ewwww
Its called an Ear Pit.  Its a minor anomaly and really nothing to worry about.  I have one, too.  If you have one, more likely than not, someone in your family has one.  I've read various things about the puss that may come out.  Some people say it smells bad, and others say there's no smell at all.  My ear pit does secrete something that occasionally does smell bad.  If you see a doctor about it, they treat it with antibiotics because the bad smell means bacteria has infected the ear pit.  I've had mine all my life and I've never had it treated.  I hardly affects me at all, other than sometimes people will say, "Hey!  You have a hole near your ear!"
the same thing happens with the belly ring, i wonder if your body thinks it needs to close the hole so it produces this stuff to close it but then all thats left is this stinky stuff. demmit. lol
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life