Ear, Nose & Throat Community

light headed and blood in nasal mucus

I have had very bad sinus problems for years and had polyps removed 5 years ago. I have constant ,mucus and post nasal drip and recently thick green mucus for several weeks. I am attending ENT and will be going soon for a follow up as more polyps were found. I am also at speech therapy to learn to use my vocal chords and to breathe properly. I have been getting very light headed bunged up and tired, and today the green mucus had blood in it. I know it's probably all the nose blowing. Also I feel very like I will pass out and have had reoccuring sore throats. Does anyone else suffer from this and is blood normal? Thanks
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like you are suffering the effects of chronic sinusitis. The chronic inflammation in the nose can cause the bleeding into the nasal discharge. The recurring infections of the throat and sinuses can cause tiredness and light headedness. Controlling the sinusitis may help to resolve your symptoms. For chronic sinus infection, typical antibiotic treatment is for 4-6 weeks.  A nasal steroid spray is also beneficial as well as oral steroids.  Nasal saline irrigations over the counter like NeilMed or Neti pot are very effective, but worsen Eustachian tube dysfunction (water in the ears or feeling of fullness in the ears).  The best diagnosis for this problem is a CT of the sinuses.  Surgery is recommended to patients that fail maximal medical treatment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life