Ear, Nose & Throat Community

lump in the neck

hi,

i have a lump in the neck 2 cm in diameter under my left area near the jaw. From image in the internet found here : http://training.seer.cancer.gov/ss_module08_lymph_leuk/images/illu_lymph_chain02.jpg

the lump seems to be located in the Jugulodigastric Deep Cervical Lymph Nodes. I detected it 5 years ago and went to 3 general doctor and an ENT specialist. all of them said it is ok. The ent specialist use ultrasound to check the lymph node and he said not to worry.

my question is
1) Can ultrasound detect cancer? the lump is still there and sumtimes it hurts but momentarily NOT persistent.

2) can it be cancer? it has been 5 years with the lump being there. i dont think it is growing. i feel healthy. i seldom get cough cough, NO hoarseness of voice, NO bleeding from the nose or anything like that. If it was cancer then over the years the lump would be getting bigger and i would be getting more lumps over the neck am i rite? my health would surely get worst rite?

anyway i would like to know your opinion on this? why is the lump there? do you think it is cancer? what do you think i should do?

many thanks in advance

regards,
amri
I have the same problem.Today I was told it was a abscess.I was also told to go to the ER right away!
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life