Ear, Nose & Throat Community

malt o meal tongue?

that is what it looks like! and it feels so grainy and scratchy, all down thru my throat. almost like a i burned my tongue and it is constant. there is a yellowish coating that is VERY hard to brush off. it always comes back even if i get some of it off. i also have ear congestion only in the left ear and have for months. i am taking zyrtec D and on prednisone. i also take prilosec 2 times a day because i was having stomach pains a year ago that my doctor diagnosed as silent reflux. i do NOT get heart burn though. i do get bloated in the evenings and i dont eat much. i eat small amounts at a time and i do belch after whatever i eat. i am in good shape and i know i need more protein and iron in my diet...lately whatever i eat tends to make my tongue feel worse and almost like it's swelling up in the back of my throat making it hard to swallow. thoughts??
can TMJ do this? my left ear, where the jaw meets it is sometimes sore too but i don't have any clicking when i eat and i can bite just fine. so it's very confusing. i saw 3 doctors already, they all said it was not thrush and told me to take the meds i am taking.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sometimes vitamin deficiencies can produce glossitis. Ensure to take a well balanced diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables. You could even take OTC multivitamins. Check to see if there is a post nasal drip. this can cause constant irritation in the throat, throat infection and consequent ear fullness and infection. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life