Ear, Nose & Throat Community

pain in the throat and bloody phlegm when cold air

hello,

when i was 4 i was operated to remove my tonsils so i dont have them anymore.

the thing is that everytime i sleep and the air is not warm (very cold winter days, air conditioning, etc...) i get a very painful feeling in my throat, like a big needle perforating it and in the morning i have to spit up a thicky phlegm with blood inside and feel the pain a few hours. after that its fine.

it just happens when i sleep (not when im awake) with not warm air even if my body is ok, i mean, i dont feel cold at all.

if i get sore throat/infection i have bloody phlegm for a couple of weeks as well.

is that normal?

thank you
Hi there,
It is possible that you have burst a small vessel in your throat by coughing and this has caused blood in sputum. The common causes of blood in cough are bronchitis, irritation of the throat from violent coughing, blood clot in lungs, tuberculosis of lungs, vasculitis etc.Though you do not have any symptoms like coughing or shortness of breath you should see your doctor and get evaluated. A clinical examination and tests like sputum culture and smear, blood counts may be necessary. Further tests will depend on the test results. Treatment will be specific based on the cause. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life