Ear, Nose & Throat Community

pain returns a month after lingual abscess

I had an vallecular abscess on my lingual tonsil drained 1/17 in an emergency procedure. they told me it was in a rare location and that my vocal chords were hemorraged in surgery, so that i would be sore a while. there were loculations in abscess. "the tonsils did show exudate tonsilitis biltaterally but no evidence of obvious abscess." biopsy was negative for cancer and showed moderate gram negative rods, gramt positive cocci, all forms, moderate normal oral flora, moderate beta strep group c. i was on antibiotics until 2/1. over two weeks i felt better and better. my throat started hurting again. blood test was negative for strep and mono and showed slightly elevated white count. vocal chords have nodules. doctor put me on clindomyocin. it's day 5 and my tonsils are still very swollen and my uvula is bent to the right. when i talk at length, it hurts so the doctor advised me not to talk that much. when he examined me with the scope through my nose last week he said the abscess was not coming back. but i am concerned about my tonsil still red and swollen and uvula as well after 5 days of antibiotics. my right ear hurts. not terribly, but it's there. the right side of my neck hurts, is sensitive. since i had antibiotics 1/14-2/1 as well, extra dose and steroids with the surgery, i am surprised to be sick again. i go see a new specialist next week and i want to know what if any questions to ask and any possible explanations for this setback. thank you. i was a smoker. but i have quit. i have not had a cigarette since january 10 and i never intend to smoke again. i'm just anxious.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your persisting symptoms could be due to an ongoing inflammation, if the infection is not controlled. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear infection.

The commonest pathogen (agent) causing throat infections is a group A Streptococcus bacteria. Besides this Group B Streptococcus, mycoplasma, neisseria and cornybacterium are known to cause throat infections. Other known pathogens causing infections of the throat are viral and yeast (candida).

The reason for elaborating about these pathogens is that the tests done and the therapy initiated vary for the listed pathogens. To begin with a throat swab is taken to see for streptococcus. If needed a throat culture will show the growth and the antibiotics to which the pathogens are most susceptible to. During culture it would be worthwhile to test for yeast infections also besides bacterial infections. Viral infections are by exclusion and do not need any antibiotic therapy unless there are super added infections. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life