Ear, Nose & Throat Community

painful, tender lump

I have a painful, tender to the touch lump behind my jaw under my left ear. It feels like I have some heat coming from it and it itches a bit. My jaw doesn't click or pop and my ear is fine, no fullness or ache in it. As it's tender, it is painful to even just touch. any ideas or suggestions?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be enlarged lymph node/nodes. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few. The swelling and pain could also be due to mastoiditis, which is infection of the bone behind the ear. This happens when there is a middle ear infection, which spreads to involve the mastoid bone. Please consult your primary care physician. In the meantime you can use OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life