Avatar universal

pus inside nostril

my son's right nostril has pus in it, should he be seen by a doctor?
1 Responses
Avatar universal
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Yes mam, he should be seen by his doctor. As it could be Quinsy, which is peritonsillar abscess, that is there is pus collection around the tonsils. This is an emergency and needs to be treated with IV antibiotics. Sometimes it warrants incision and drainage of the abscess. It is also an indication for tonsillectomy. So, consult your doctor at the earliest.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

You are reading content posted in the Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life