Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ear, Nose & Throat Community
13.4k Members

ringing in left ear

I took fluoxetine for 10 days and developed ringing in my left ear. It has been 33 days since my last dose was taken. Will it stop eventually? I can't sleep and had to start taking xanax for anxiety and panic attacks because it drives me crazy. I am desperate for help. I saw an EENT and he sees nothing wrong with my ears. I also stop taking all my vitamins and simvastatin just to see if that will help. Have you heard of this before. My dose was a childs dose (.5 mg).

Thanks Jimmye
1 Responses
620923 tn?1452919248
Side Effects of Fluoxetine - for the Consumer
From the below info u will see that ur meds r the cause of the ringing in ur ears...call ur dr to find how long after u stop this med for the ringing to end...keep in mind many meds including NSAIDS can cause this too, so if u r taking other meds , they may be adding to the problem.
Fluoxetine

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Fluoxetine:

Anxiety; decreased sexual desire or ability; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; flu-like symptoms (eg, fever, chills, muscle aches); increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; runny nose; sore throat; stomach upset; trouble sleeping; weakness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Fluoxetine:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bizarre behavior; black or bloody stools; chest pain; confusion; decreased concentration; decreased coordination; exaggerated reflexes; excessive sweating; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; increased hunger, thirst, or urination; joint or wrist aches or pain; memory loss; new or worsening agitation, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, restlessness, or inability to sit still; persistent or severe ringing in the ears; persistent, painful erection; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent anxiety, trouble sleeping, or weakness; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or headache; significant weight loss; stomach pain; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual hoarseness; unusual or severe mental or mood changes; unusual swelling; unusual weakness; vision changes; worsening of depression.

Good luck
"selma"

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life