Ear, Nose & Throat Community

small lump under left ear...what is it?

I recently found a small lump under my left ear. People are telling me different things like maybe its a swollen gland from an infection or an in grown hair. I feel fine. There are no symptoms of anything....just this lump. Its painless and about the size of a bean. Its not hard. i havent visited the doctor yet because im not sure if this is serious enough for a doctor but i am worried. i am 16 years old. What could it be?
Hi cristina5294,

This small swelling below your ear might be a lymph-node, which indicates an ongoing infection. If it is painless no need to worry, any increase in size or pain then you need to take antibiotics.

Regards
OHNS2010
Okay.....thank you. I still don't feel any symptoms and the size has remained the same. The only thing I'm worried about is that it might be a tumor of some kind but I did some research and they said tumors are usually hard lumps and mine isn't really hard. I'm a bit paranoid over this as you can tell. I guess finding a lump is a bit alarming.
Hi cristina5294,

Then I would like to advise you to get a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) done, with that probably your apprehension might come down. Any more doubts you are welcome.

Regards
OHNS2010
Okay. I'm just curious.... What does a FNAC detect?
My 5 year old son got bug bites on his head four days ago and had lymph node swelling along with it. Doctor looked and said to watch the lumps. Well, they have hardened today and don't move. That was quick. I can relate to your concern because here I am with a 5 year old mildly autistic boy that can't speak well.  go with ur instinct hun. Don't worry, but don't ignore it. Watch it weekly. I assure u its ok for now. Just watch yours.....if it hardens in a few weeks, go to doctor.
Thank you very much for the advice....I appreciate it. I'm not sure what the reason for this lump is but I'll keep an eye on it. I hope everything works out well with your son.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life