Ear, Nose & Throat Community

soft painless lump behind ear

I noticed a couple weeks ago that there was a small rice-like bump behind my ear lobe. I kept massaging it hoping it would spread and go away, but it got a little bigger and split into two-conjoining bumps. It doesn't hurt, but if I squeeze it, it is like a mixture of soft tissue and cartilage that can shift slightly. Just yesterday I suddenly got a pain in my ear that hurts when I chew or move my jaw. But I can't tell if it is just from a possible cavity, or if it is because I moved this lump. But I'm pretty sure the pain is coming from the ear and not from the jaw. I am also pretty sure it isn't an ear infection because I have had ear infections before.

Could this lump just be a normal growth? I am just worried that it is a tumor that might have spread, which is causing the pain in my inner ear.

Thanks!
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life