Ear, Nose & Throat Community

strep throat, receding gums, blister

Hello, i was diagnosed with strep throat and have
been given amoxicillin to take twice a day for ten
days. I noticed my gums are receding and making it
very painful to eat, brush my teeth, etc. I also have
a blister on my bottom lip, which I've never had
before so could i possibly have an std? Or is this all
caused by the strep and should go away with the
antibiotics?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The receding painful gums and the blister may not be related to the throat infection. They can occur due to local or systemic causes. Local causes like tooth infections, tooth abscess or periodontal disease. Some medications like dilantin and calcium channel blockers like nifedipine can cause swollen and painful gums. They are more common in smokers, in people with poor dental hygiene, with vitamin deficiencies and are known to be associated with stress. The blister could be canker sore or it could be due to STD. It is difficult to tell without examining what exactly is the cause for your symptoms.

So continue with the antibiotics, as this may help with the oral infections also. If they still persist after the course is over, consult a dentist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life