Ear, Nose & Throat Community

twitching/spasm in the inner ear...

Hello..I am new here and I am hoping to receive some guidance/help. I am 38 years old, in good health/weight.

About 10 years ago, I was under a lot of stress (mentally-work/home related, and physically--recovering from a bad case of Candida, which gave me cold like symptoms for a year) and had various symptoms of stress that would come and stay for up to a few months then go away permanently, such as: insomnia, body muscle twitches, digestive issues such as indigestion, muscle tension, clamminess, anxiety, etc. One of the symptoms was also this twitching in both ears. This was pretty ongoing/chronic and eventually it lessened and lessened until I was simply left with the twitching in my left ear and it was only activated when I laid down on my right side. It's been ten years and I would like to at least understand what it could be, if not find a solution.

I still suffer from mild anxiety and slight dizziness (and slight balance problems from the dizziness) and am not sure if it was generalized anxiety I developed from that time period (which can cause dizziness) or if the dizziness is caused by the ear problem which is promoting anxiety.

I have seen several doctors who have looked into my ear, saw nothing and dismissed the whole problem. I am not sure what I can do at this point. I have seen a neurologist regarding MS, had an MRI, and nothing was found. Could it be viral? Is it a form of tinnitus? Could there have been some damage from that period ten years ago?? Is there a doctor out there that would be interested enough to at least help me solve this mystery, and if so, how would I go about finding a referral or good recommendation. At this time, I have no GP to recommend me.
It is a form of Tinnitus, but I have never heard of it lasting for such a long time. If it really bothers you, the actuall muscle that is causeing the twitch could possible be severed. Or even a light injection of botox.

All are theories, and an ENT would be best to adress treatmenst for your issue.

But it does sound as you have had things ruled out such as MS etc.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life