Ear, Nose and Throat Forum

Phantom odors

For years I have experienced intermittant smells of cigarette smoke (thought it was my dead father visiting me!). Anyway, for the past few months, I've had the smell of burning rubber or plastic in my nostrils. I keep thinking there's an electical fire but no one else smells it. It's very irritating. I'm healthy, don't smoke and don't have any allergies or sinus problems. Is there research out there connecting this phenomenom to brain tumors?  should I be worried?
Interesting problem.  It is known that types of seizure activity and brain injury can lead to phantosmia.  Prodromes for migraines can also have similar symptoms.  In addition, damage to the nerves for olfaction can also be implicated.  Although no cause may be found, the need to rule out any of these other issues mandates a thorough evaluation by your physician.  Good luck.
A related discussion, seeking ideas was started.
A related discussion, phantom smells and altered taste was started.
A related discussion, Synesthesia was started.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life