Ear Disorders Forum

Severe Ear Infection - Zithromax or Amoxicillin?

I am a 30 year old woman in poor health currently recovering from an overdose of Serotonin drugs that was not caught for a month and a half (i.e., I did not stop the drugs at the request of my doctor for the month and a half.). I am still suffering from side effects of the overdose two weeks after stopping treatment (IBS, Involuntary tremors, moderate confusion, anxiety, high pulse) but developed an acute onset ear infection after a plane ride saturday afternoon (i had a slight cold before boarding the plane). (I've had significant pain, ear discharge, temp of 101.5, colored mucus and overall feel pretty bad.)

My primary care physician says I must treat it to prevent the infection from crossing over into my brain. I want to be on the medication for the shortest time period possible and select the one that has the least mental and intestinal side effects, as those are two huge problems for me right now. The option I have been given is a five day zithromax dosing, or 7 days of Amoxicillin at 500 mg 3xday. I am VERY VERY drug sensitive at this point (tylenol raises my heart rate 30% after one dose), but I also want to make sure I am taking the most effective drug to knock out the infection.

What would you recommend? I am leaning toward the Z pack because I have taken it before without side effects, but if it is less effective...

Nicole

Hi Nicole, it is impossible to say which of these medications will cause you less of a problem.  Typically for otitis media with the traditional bacteria involved, azithromycin (Zithromax) is not as effective as high-dose amoxicillin or amoxicillin-clavulanate (Augmentin).

Hope this helps.  Good luck!  See your pharmacist for fuurther information.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life