Eating Disorders Forum

Abnormal Salt Craving:Need Help

I am having a lot of health problems going on right now. I am a 31 yr old F.  I do not have issues with emotional eating, except pms craving. I  have depression, secondary to anxiety but have Chronic Health probs.  I have High BP & kidney stones right now. For two, I have suffered from what seems to be seizures, twitching, cramping, dehydration at times, and headaches, and polyuria. I also have spasms, dizziness, and falls. It seems these are all being caused by my constant flushing out of minerals through my body. I recently had a 24 hour urine done for stone screening factors and all my electrolytes, etc levels of excretion were high. My doctor was dumbfounded at the high amount of sodium *762* and the 24 hour Cl number was *723*
Also, he has put me on a vitamin D supplement. Years back this level was abnormally high in my blood and I did not take vitamins. I believe somehow this is all related, including to my mental health. However, I don't eat salt nonstop every day and have been incorporating whole foods more and more into my diet. I tried telling my specialist that I craved salt abnormally at times, but he brushed this off as being part of the American diet. I tried to tell him sometimes, and not all the time...rarely I get very very bad salt cravings. It is like you trying to tell a smoker to stay away from their cigarettes and they go into withdrawals. The days the test was run had been one of the salt craving (to the extreme) times. I have craved salt on and off since early childhood. I had pica when I was little and ate wood off my headboard. I still have weird cravings at times but I do not go around eating these things. When I get the salt cravings it is not a food issue so much as a salt issue. I have to have whatever salt is there. I have drank pickle juice, hot sauce out of the fridge. If I don't get it I don't feel well. I do not drink or smoke. God bless
The first thing to figure out is whether this is a physiological craving...i.e. a hormone released in brain tells your body you must have salt( only your doctor who has all the results can answer that question); or is it psychological.  From an emotional eating standpoint, I have since all sorts of highly specific cravings described just the way you described your craving for sale, e.g. baloney sandwhiches;  If it is  psychological, then the work you need to do is psychological work, to understand the salt cravings as a special case of emotional eating.  If it is that, the shrinkyourself program can help you or a therapist can help you sort this out.
Actually eating issues don't come up in therapy. Most of the other medical things going on have had actual "physical" reasons. What is the shrinkyourself program? Either way, if I need to go this route if it is because of psychological reasons then I will have to get help either way for the salt problem because it is "literally" killing me. I am walking pickle (just a joke). I have washed out every mineral in my body at abnormal levels and I get so bad that I start to get confused and depressed. Now I just don't want to eat at all at times. I will discuss this with my therapist too, unless I need to see a special therapist for this sort of thing. I have no clue. Thank you  for your time and God bless you.
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.