Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eating Disorders Community
1.22k Members

Anorexia help/advice please?

I developed bulimia over 2 years ago and a year ago I got referred to an eating disorders clinic.
The thing is, I hated it - and not just because they were challenging my eating disorder. I began to "recover" and by this I mean, I just wasn't b/p'ing anymore and it's horrible to admit, but I, or rather, "the eating disorder" part of me was happy. I felt like I was finally able to lose weight and at ease, without throwing up or having hide bunches and bunches of wrappers.
Obviously, it was not a good thing. But I just got worse, I hated the therapist I saw, I would distort my weight - basically anything to get out of it. My mother, who had to drive me there and back once a week, also hated it. We would often argue about it, "I'm wasting 2 hours of my day and you're not making any effort at all!!". I love my mother, and she helped me a lot, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat. Until about late August (2014) and I was threatened with having to take a year out and start college a year after all my friends.
Long story short, I began eating, I was motivated (most of the time) and started college, it was going really well. In about November, I was "weight restored" - refused CBT as I couldn't stand my therapist, and was discharged. I just wanted to get away and close that chapter of my life. So I did.
But since Christmas, things have not gone well and I am starting to feel as if I am relapsing. I've lost weight - but this is also partly due to my anxiety.
Anyway, the bottom line is that I need help, but going back to that clinic is just not an option for me - I wouldn't be able to get there and back, my exams are coming up etc. and so....what do I do?:(
1 Responses
What about the clinic don't you like? Maybe it's that certain clinic with that therapist. I have recovered from bulimia, and I understand how hard it is to see a therapist you aren't comfortable with. Stress caused my bulimia, and once I relieved the area of stress (dealing with a break up, trying to fit in at college, thinking skinny would make me happy) I was able to really recover from the disorder. Maybe really think about what is causing the disorder for you and try to do something different.
I know it's not easy, and there are some days where all I feel like doing is purging because I'm so mad at what I just ate. It's a huge recover process, but you have to believe that you can do it... and actually WANT to recover from it and be healthy again.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.