BABY WITH EATING DISORDER

MY BABY WILL BE TWO NEXT YEAR JANUARY, SHE EATS LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW AND THERE IS NOTHING ONE CAN DO OR SAY TO STOP HER BECAUSE SHE CRIES AND THROWS HERSELF ON THE GROUND IF SHE DOESN'T GET WHAT SHE WANTS. SHE WEIGHS 15 KG AT HER AGE AND I AM AFRAID THAT IT IS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE IF I DONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT NOW. WHEN WE ARE IN PUBLIC SHE GRAPS OTHER PEOPLE'S FOODS AND IF THEY DONT GIVE IT TO HER SHE STARTS CRYING. I REALLY NEED HELP BECAUSE I DONT TO FEEL EMARASSED TO BE WITH MY BABY IN PUBLIC. PLEASE HELP, HOW DO I MAKE HER START EATING NORMALLY?

REGARDS,

WORRIED MOM
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You really need to see your GP, then see a child neurologist, just to rule out prader-willi. If you have been feeding your child "instant" foods, she's hooked on them. With kids like this you have to set a strict schedule of you child'e eating, no if's but's or maybes. Let her fall on the floor and have that tantrum. Walk away. I did that as a kid, and was placated with food, it made my disordered relationship with food worse. Your issue isn't really an ED, but you need a full check up and follow through with a specialist. If you have to avoid eating out in public then do so. Her behaviours are not acceptable.  Kids at that age understand boudaries, and the "reward system" (that doesn't include food). Get rid of any sugary or instant foods out of the house, because if she see it, she'll want it. Then the tantrums start again. This isn't really a space for childhood issues, but it's good that you are aware.
Helpful - 0
I agree with buffheart, have prader-willi syndrome ruled out first, my son was diagnosed with it after 5yrs of being told it was "me" and that "I must be doing something wrong or feeding him unhealthy things". It was that constant criticism that caused me to stop looking for answers and blaming myself thinking I was indeed being a push over and if I put my foot down harder it wouldn't be happening. Turned out he had prader-willi syndrome and we only found it out after he went to school and binged out on the other kids lunches during recess and literally choked on it because he ate so much that his stomach couldn't hold any more food.  He almost died because of my listening to people say it was "my fault" in prader-willi syndrome it doesn't matter how much your child has ate they are still hungry (chronically hungry) and will still try to seek out food. My son's is so bad that he sleep eats and everything has to be kept under lock and key, his case is very bad compared to other children if it's edible (or at least he thinks it is) he will eat it. This includes things like play dough! If it is prader-willi syndrome they are at risk of becoming extremely obsess if you don't seek out help. Don't let anyone make you think you are a "bad parent" only you know if there is something truly going on that shouldn't be and GET IT CHECKED OUT!      
Helpful - 0
Oh, and from what I have seen, it tends to strike females more than males
Helpful - 0
I would suggest you look up something called "Prater-Willi"

From what I have heard and seen, it is basically a disorder that causes people with it to eat and eat and eat, because they cannot feel full. Something about a glad that doesn't work, so they are unable to feel full. They eat huge amounts of food at a time, and get upset when people take their food away. It is also dangerous because it is usually accompanied by mental disabilities. I know three wonderful ladies who have it, and they are moderately delayed.

As I said, you should definitely look into it. It sounds like a real possibility
Helpful - 0
lot of it has what kind of food you store in your cabinets and fridge, and type food you buy, change your shopping habits to better nutrient food, you and your family need to learn healthy eating habits, and that is not a bad thing.  keep bad food out of house. good luck, this is not had answer that you didnt already know, just sometimes we needed to be reminded, sometime life go buy to fast, you need to slow down, and think whats better for you and your children.
Helpful - 0
it's not so much the food your child is craving. Do you and the father put your foot down enough? It's hard to tell another person this, but you really have to start being firm with your child, so they learn the bounderies. It's not you're a bad parent, but try and teach your child at the same time that food is to nourish you... not as a reward. Alot of kids were bought up with "here have a sweetie" for being good, so they associate food with goodness. -thats one theory.
Be calm and rational every time they throw a fit, and never give in. In time you'll both learn whats hunger and whats greed. Stop the situation as it arises, if in a public place, take her back to the car and say we're going home... threaten, and do it!! it will pay off!
like margypops said, nutritious food will also stop your childs cravings for sugary sweet things, and likely what she snatches. hope this sort of helped!
skye
Helpful - 0
She only eats what you give her to eat it isnt her ,its you, so do not buy in any food other than nutrious food ,if she wants more thats okay give her carrots ,Apples, Bananas Yoghort, whole grain bread , cereals, lots of finger foods out there ,Dont take her out where she can take other peoples food, and if you have to, when she does grab their food,  remove her from the chair and the situation, this is up to you not her, set bounderies and time out . Mostly you need to have healthy food and healthy habits. Get her doing exercise and Ball games, get her Dad involved .If she throws herself on the ground...let her do not give in be consistant or you will have a "Big" girl to look after in the future
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eating Disorders Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.