MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Do I have bulimia

Hi there, I wondered if anyone could tell me if you have Bulimia if you don't make yourself sick and only take laxitives. I've really struggled with binge eating for years followed by periods of starvation and excercise, with my weight fluctuating although I have recently lost around 80lbs. Apparently I'm not overweight now, but it's only been recently that I've started the cycle of bingeing and taking laxatives again however I'm not losing anymore weight due to the amout I'm bingeing. ie.I'm struggling with not being able to go through my stavation periods.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

I know..it's so hard and I'm glad you are at least trying to keep fighting. Starving yourself is not a good thing though? That's such a terrible goal. Starving yourself is only continuing down this miserable path that you are on right now.

I am glad you are seeing someone soon. If you don't mind me asking, who are you going to be seeing? As in..therapist, dietitian, med. doctor, etc? Don't feel ashamed. They are there to help you. That is their job. Yes, there absolutely other people doing similar things as you. You are most definitely not alone. Unfortunately, what you are going through is something that a lot of other people struggle with as well. The good news is, recovery is possible. It absolutely is. It's HARD, but sooooo worth it. There is a life out there outside of this just waiting for you. If you want to talk more personally and are uncomfortable posting, feel free to message me. I would be happy to talk to you. I hope you are doing okay. Keep fighting, don't give up, and have hope because you can get better.

Ashley
Helpful - 0
Hi shlee,
Hope you are okay too. I'm trying to get through yet another day of this fighting.
I do feel as if I'm not starving myself enough. For 11 months I got through by eating very little and lost alot of weight. I said 80lbs in my last post but please excuse me as I'm from the UK where we use stones and I calculated it wrong. I have lost 8 stones (112lbs). Now, however my starvation spells may be very short..sometimes only 1 day and sometimes up to 4 and when I'm eating/bingeing now I just can't stop. The more I eat at a time then the longer I can starve.

I am due to see someone soon about this but I am too ashamed incase I need to tell them of the disgusting things I can do when bingeing to get more food and the things I do to food so I will not eat it. Do other people out there do this sort of thing? (to anyone on the site)

This has been a cycle for me for 17 years. Has anyone out there recovered from this?

mcjay x
Helpful - 0

I am not a doctor, so I am not going to make to try to make any sort of diagnosis or anything, but it definitely sounds like eating disordered behaviors to me. Bulimia consists of bingeing and purging (though more complex of course). Purging is not just making oneself throw up, but can be abusing laxatives, overexercising, or other methods. So yes, from what you've said, your behaviors sound like "bulimic behaviors," in my opinion of course. I suggest you get help if you don't see anyone already.

I'm concerned when you say, "I'm struggling with not being able to go through my starvation periods." Does this mean you feel you are not starving yourself enough?? I hope you are doing okay.

Ashley
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eating Disorders Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.