Emphysema Community
76 Members

Emphysema and flying

I have been diagnosed with emphysema.  I wasn't having any shortness of breath or any other problems, it was discovered during a routine check up.  I was told I have stage 1.  I was given a prescription for spriva  and I'm not on oxygen.  I do get winded pretty easily but I don't think I've had any shortness of breath except when I was flying.

My wife wants to go to Thailand to visit relatives.  The total flight time is around 20 hours, about 18 hours to Korea then a few for hours to Bangkok.  It was during this flight that I had a 'Shortness of breath' episode. I had dozed off in my seat and when I work up I could hardly breath. This was almost three years ago before I even knew I had emphysema.  I didn't have any other real problems other than that but I admit I didn't sleep much. when I think back on it my breathing may have been a little labored but not a real problem.  At that time I smoked so I attributed the problem to smoking but I have quit smoking now.

That was three years ago and now I know I have emphysema and that it won't get better, it will only get worse so I'm worried about what will happen now.  We don't plan on going until feb and I definetly plan to check with my doctor before we go.  I came across this site while searching on google so I thought I would as a question here.

what is your advice be as far as flying.

I'm a 61 year old male, 5'7" and weigh 140 lbs.  I have stage 1 emphysema but don't have any other chronic medical problems except  high cholorestol.

In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.